Dolphin?

Our 1st cruise was also on the Dolphin IV when she was the only ship they had. The Dolphin was sold to a brand new company, Cape Canaveral Cruise Line. They did 2 day cruises with two 4 days a month. We had a fantastic Millenium cruise on her - 6 days- and went on her LAST 4 day in August, 2000. She had been bellowing soot for years and it was going to cost more than a million MORE than they thought to fix her. She probably went to India where they take apart old ships for the scrap. The Seabreeze and Oceanbreeze were sold to Premier which had the Big Red Boat. A bank repossed both ships in the MIDDLE of a cruise. Seasbreeze was in , I think, Nova Scotia, heard Captain announced in middle of night everyone HAD to get off the ship. Anyway, that November, the Seabreeze sank off our NC coast in like 3,000 feet of water- too deep to do anything. There were 35 crew members aboard, all resued by our coast guard. Saw on TV pulling crew up by the pool I had swum in the year before.

LOVED the Dolphin line and SMALL ships. BUT, NCL's Majsety, about 1200 passenger, was built by Dolphin as their Majesty line. It was sold to NCL and is still cruising. It goes to Caribean in winter from Charleston, SC and from Boston to Bermuda in summer. We hate NCL but loved the Majsety, her size, her crew and Captain!

I am new to these forums so don't know if this totally kosher, but since Bonnie's already replied to me (personally) I thought I would put this out there for anyone else who might have been on the Dolphin IV Millenium cruise .

We just loved that old ship even with the hallway "dip."

My husband proposed to me on the Dolphin IV as part of the passenger talent show and it was actually on the evening of New Year's Day (Jan. 1, 2000) and he was the last participant after a singer and a dancer I think. I remember him literally sweating bullets at dinner beforehand and our waiter "Rashley" giving him lots and lots of water before he had to go to the rehearsal. His last line after his comedy routine was "oh yeah, there's one more thing... there is this girl in the audience I love very much, etc. etc." then he went down on his knee. From then on out we were known (at least by that audience) as the couple who got engaged on the ship. Not that there weren't others, just that he made it SO public! Of course I will never forget it.

We would take anything from that Millenium cruise because we seemed to have misplaced photos from that time and it was pre-digital photo. We definitely did NOT get any pictures from our proposal as it was a surprise to me, even though my husband had planned it with the crew-- he was so nervous to participate in the talent show, he was not thinking that far in advance. The night before was an incredible Millenium New Year's in Key West and I remember the formal night on the ship and then dressing down to go run around and take part of the fireworks off the pier and the revelry in the streets. I was a tad disappointed that so many other young ladies were getting proposed to that night, not knowing what was in my immediate future.

Mike and I were also in a 1950's dance contest and he dressed like a woman in some other "dress up" contest where he won champagne and T-shirts. To this day he still wears that "Millenium" shirt as if it was a trophy! We would be so grateful if anyone could give us a photographic memory of that night! (Oh yeah, and I was dressed as a space girl all in silver! It does seem the Dolphin IV staff enjoyed "dress-up" because there were dress-up themes that whole cruise.)

It was such a fun time and and throw back to the cruising of my youth... not like today's megaships. I think bigger is not always better. Dolphin IV may she R.I.P.

Cin D. B. (from Gainesville, FL)

P.S. Maybe I should post this on the "Shipboard Love Stories" forum too, just for fun? ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

A friend had recommended the Dolphin Cruise Line way back around 1993. My then fiance' (now wife), and I had never been on a cruise before. Our cruise departed from Aruba (I think it was the Seabreeze), and then we went to Grenada, Barbados, Martinique, and Curacao. When we arrived back in Aruba, we had on overnight stay there, before flying back home on a charter flight the next day. We too were in awe of the ship......until we pulled up next to some behemoth in Barbados. There were definietly some benefits to being on a smaller ship. Certainly did not take as long to get off at the various ports of call. We did hit a storm one night, and the little ship was rockin' pretty good.

Overall, I think the experience was a very good one. The food was quite tasty, the service was excellent, and we certainly loved the places we went. I can't wait to take our kids cruising with us!

A friend had recommended the Dolphin Cruise Line way back around 1993. My then fiance' (now wife), and I had never been on a cruise before. Our cruise departed from Aruba (I think it was the Seabreeze), and then we went to Grenada, Barbados, Martinique, and Curacao.

I think that you might be talking about the Oceanbreeze. If so, I was in the giftshop in the fall of '93. That ship had a terrific run.

At that time, I think that the Seabreeze was in and out of Bermuda.

The OceanBreeze sailed from Aruba. We were on her for a New Years about that time, with the fantastic Bert Stratton playing in the lounge. (Bert is now on Princess.) Most celebrated with him. There were hundreds of streamers on all the ceiling fans! We had a first and I hope ONLY on that cruise. Our chartered flight from Miami was VERY,VERY, LATE leaving. We got on the ship as the midnight buffet was happening! Then we had a 4:30AM BREAKFAST on last day! They wanted to get the chartered flight people off the ship at 5:30AM! And they did. Our whole table (5 women and my husband!) made it to the dining room so we could eat together. 78Yearold Mary stayed up all night, it was after midnight when we went to bed but we all made it at 4:30!!!!! Then when we got on the plane the engines were not going so we had no air conditioning! They left the door open. People strecthed out and slept on seats. Somewhere around 8 AM we finally got off the ground. So, we never really saw Aruba in the daylight. But it was a great cruise! Miss the old Dolphin, SeaBreeze and OceanBreeze. Understand the Oceanbreeze used to sail just to Nassau on very short cruises but do not remember under which tiny line or what her new name was.. Those were the good old days of cruising!!!!!!!! Oh, we went into the Panama Canal and to San Blas on that cruise.

• 1 month later...
Hi...I just read your post. My wife and I were also on that Millenium cruise on the Dolphin. It was fantastic seeing the the last sundown of the Millenium. I think that ship was originally built in 1957 or 58, and there were definite signs of age (especially the "swimming pool" area) but the food and the service definitely exceeded the other cruises i've been on with RCCL and Carnival. We just booked the Western Med. Venice cruise for Nov 13, 2008, on RCCL's Brilliance. I"ll be thrilled if the food and service is even close to what we experienced on the Dolphin

Jersey Cruisers this is specifically for you...

(as you have no contact info available on the cc forum.) :confused:

About a month and a half ago I made this request under the Dolphin IV topic without having seen your post! Bonnie J. was kind enough to reply and send us photocopies of some interesting things, but still not quite what we were hoping for. Maybe you can help us??? :o (PLEASE see original post below.)

"I thought I would put this out there for anyone else who might have been on the Dolphin IV Millenium cruise .

My husband proposed to me on the Dolphin IV as part of the passenger talent show and it was actually on the evening of New Year's Day (Jan. 1, 2000) and he was the last participant after a singer and a dancer I think. I remember him literally sweating bullets at dinner beforehand and our waiter "Rashley" giving him lots and lots of water before he had to go to the rehearsal. His last line after his comedy routine was "oh yeah, there's one more thing... there is this girl in the audience I love very much, etc. etc." then he went down on his knee. From then on out we were known (at least by that audience) as the couple who got engaged on the ship. Not that there weren't others, just that he made it SO public! Of course I will never forget it.

We would take anything from that Millenium cruise because we seemed to have misplaced photos from that time and it was pre-digital photo. We definitely did NOT get any pictures from our proposal as it was a surprise to me, even though my husband had planned it with the crew-- he was so nervous to participate in the talent show, he was not thinking that far in advance. The night before was an incredible Millenium New Year's in Key West and I remember the formal night on the ship and then dressing down to go run around and take part of the fireworks off the pier and the revelry in the streets. I was a tad disappointed that so many other young ladies were getting proposed to that night, not knowing what was in my immediate future.

Mike and I were also in a 1950's dance contest and he dressed like a woman in some other "dress up" contest where he won champagne and T-shirts. To this day he still wears that "Millenium" shirt as if it was a trophy! We would be so grateful if anyone could give us a photographic memory of that night! (Oh yeah, and I was dressed as a space girl all in silver! It does seem the Dolphin IV staff enjoyed "dress-up" because there were dress-up themes that whole cruise.)

It was such a fun time and and throw back to the cruising of my youth... not like today's megaships. I think bigger is not always better. Dolphin IV may she R.I.P."

Jersey Cruisers??? How about it... would love to hear from you no matter what, since my husband is originally from Monmouth County!

Hi...I just read your post. My wife and I were also on that Millenium cruise on the Dolphin. It was fantastic seeing the the last sundown of the Millenium. I think that ship was originally built in 1957 or 58, and there were definite signs of age (especially the "swimming pool" area) but the food and the service definitely exceeded the other cruises i've been on with RCCL and Carnival. We just booked the Western Med. Venice cruise for Nov 13, 2008, on RCCL's Brilliance. I"ll be thrilled if the food and service is even close to what we experienced on the Dolphin

About a month and a half ago I made this request under the Dolphin IV topic without having seen your post! Bonnie J. was kind enough to reply and send us photocopies of some interesting things, but still not quite what we were hoping for. Maybe you can help us??? :o (PLEASE see original post below.)

"I thought I would put this out there for anyone else who might have been on the Dolphin IV Millenium cruise .

It was such a fun time and and throw back to the cruising of my youth... not like today's megaships. I think bigger is not always better. Dolphin IV may she R.I.P."

Jersey Cruisers??? How about it... would love to hear from you no matter what, since my husband is originally from Monmouth County!

We were on the Dolphin line in 1995 with a groupe of about 60 Shriners What a tub. Poor food with no room service the entertainment consisted of some guy playing the piano while he drank Tabasco sause the rooms were horrid as was the whole ship! we have taken 18 cruises this by far was the worst GOOD RIDDENS!!!!!!!!!!!

We were on the Dolphin line in 1995 with a groupe of about 60 Shriners What a tub. Poor food with no room service the entertainment consisted of some guy playing the piano while he drank Tabasco sause the rooms were horrid as was the whole ship! we have taken 18 cruises this by far was the worst GOOD RIDDENS!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I hope i wasn't dreaming,but i saw the dolphin seabreeze on a tv special about the recovery of the Titanic back about 2 years ago.They had a special promo to watch parts of the ship being hauled to the surface.If i remember,it wasn't sucessful.

I went on that ship also, I had heard they retired her. It was my first cruise and what a blast it was. Even if the ship did break down 5 miles from port canaveral and we had to be pulled by 4 tug boats. On the news and everything!!! It was a blast!! I don't have any pictures of that ship so if anyone does, could you please post some!!!

The Dolphin was one of my first cruises and I loved it! (early 80's) Sailed on the Dolphin several times along with the Seabreeze, Oceanbreeze and Royal Majesty. The crew was fantastic - you got to know the other passengers and the food was great. Cruising has changed a lot over the years, and I have been on many cruises ......but, I still miss the old style cruising.

Over the years I met some of the same crew on the different ships and we kept in touch over the years. My job kept me traveling and I moved many times and finally lost touch with everyone.

Anyone out there know Tony Tsakiris - or where he is now?

Dolphin's old Royal Majesty is now sailing as NCL's Majesty. She was stretched but still is small, 1300 passengers, and just as much fun as she used to be because of her size. She sails for Caribean in winter, from Charleston, SC and goes to Bermuda May-Sept. from Charleston, Baltimore and Philly. We've been on her twice and are looking forward to cruising on her again!

• 3 weeks later...
Dolphin's old Royal Majesty is now sailing as NCL's Majesty. She was stretched but still is small, 1300 passengers, and just as much fun as she used to be because of her size. She sails for Caribean in winter, from Charleston, SC and goes to Bermuda May-Sept. from Charleston, Baltimore and Philly. We've been on her twice and are looking forward to cruising on her again!

\

Cant remember exactly which shp whether it was the Ocean Breeze or the Sea Breeze but it was our very first cruise and I think it was out of Aruba..and tht was 22 years ago... it hooked me on sailing.. the elegant service and the food..We were on the other ship a few years ago just before it was seized in Nova Scotia.. We had a forward cabin..lol.. two huge windows, two huge beds, a bathroom with a tub...etc.. and the crew had a heart of gold...One of the performers was the comic Lennie ?? who I last saw on the Celebrity Century in 2005... As for the Royal Majesty..we sailed on her the first year and Apollo was the caterer and it was elegant, elegant.. We sailed that every year, one year twice... and were on the ship the week it was sold to NCL (the Greek owner had many problems in Boston Harbor like hiting a whale and gounding on a sandbar).. there was a riot by the crew...NCL people were on board measuring, etc. etc.... We have been on the Royal/NCL Majesty a dozen times..How I miss that wonderful ship...the crew and the intimacy of it compared to the megaships nowadays.. BonnieJ. seems to have her facts straight..

While living in South Florida during the 80's I can remember going standby on their 3 night cruises from Miami for $25 a day. Seems their was always availability we certainly took advantage of the opportunity. We would go once or twice a month and it was always a good way to spend a long weekend.

I forgot the history of the Dolphin myself (I even forgot the "IV" on her name until I saw the thread!).

I was on the Dolphin a long time ago as well...always had a good time on my early cruises, though looking back it was in pretty bad shape at the time!

Hello-- I saw the Carla C on your signature and just had to say hello!! I sailed her for my honeymoon in 1982!!

What a cruise!! We had so much fun on that ship--and talk about port intensive--first off, married on a Sunday when she sailed, we joined her on Monday at first port-Curacao, followed by Caracas, Granada, Martinique, St. Thomas and returned to San Juan!! Don't see any ships these days htting that many ports! (I could be wrong--am sure someone on here knows of some, but they are not the norm!)

I remember it being quite European and some ladies getting upset when my DH shouted BINGO before they said it in all three languages !!! LOL!!

Parrot Mom,

I worked on the royal Majesty for the better part of three years and loved every minute of it. Running aground was a tragic thing that happened and it pretty much killed the company. The rumor was that at the time, MCL was buying a second ship, but the money lost and spent to get the Royal Majesty back up took that out of play. I was not on the cruise where they hit, (and dragged) the whale, (I was serving as CD on the Dolphin IV for that one) but I heard about it...not pretty! I was told that they couldn't figure out on the bridge why they couldn't get full speed on the ship, until some fishermen radioed to tell them that a whale was stuck in the bulb.

I now work as a musician for Princess Cruise Line, but still remember every wonderful moment on that old ship.

Dave Soreff

Parrot Mom,

I worked on the royal Majesty for the better part of three years and loved every minute of it. Running aground was a tragic thing that happened and it pretty much killed the company. The rumor was that at the time, MCL was buying a second ship, but the money lost and spent to get the Royal Majesty back up took that out of play. I was not on the cruise where they hit, (and dragged) the whale, (I was serving as CD on the Dolphin IV for that one) but I heard about it...not pretty! I was told that they couldn't figure out on the bridge why they couldn't get full speed on the ship, until some fishermen radioed to tell them that a whale was stuck in the bulb.

I now work as a musician for Princess Cruise Line, but still remember every wonderful moment on that old ship.

Dave Soreff

We were on the Royal every year it sailed from Boston and I think 12 years ago we were on it twice.. Do you rememer Robert and Mandy? We were followers of them, they even hired a ship in Boston to do a mini cruise..They live outside of Boca now. There is now even a stronger warning to all ships, large and small to be on the watch out for whales who feed just under the waters edge. I can remember the fuss with the newspapers flying over by helicopter to record the whole thing. Have never done a Princess, but we are doing the Celebrity, especially trans-atlantic. I dont know why,but your name rings a bell..

I went on the Dolphin (IV) in the early 80's and was hooked on cruising. I lived in Miami at the time, and I also used to standby for the last minute openings for $25.00 per day! Those were great times. Loved Royal Majesty - great food and a beautiful ship. It was sad what happened to the ship - lots of bad breaks.

We were on the Royal every year it sailed from Boston and I think 12 years ago we were on it twice.. Do you rememer Robert and Mandy? We were followers of them, they even hired a ship in Boston to do a mini cruise..They live outside of Boca now. There is now even a stronger warning to all ships, large and small to be on the watch out for whales who feed just under the waters edge. I can remember the fuss with the newspapers flying over by helicopter to record the whole thing. Have never done a Princess, but we are doing the Celebrity, especially trans-atlantic. I dont know why,but your name rings a bell..

Well, when I was on the Royal Majesty, I was not a musician, I was the Assistant Cruise Director, so maybe that's why the name rings a bell. I called all the bingo, and did most of the activities under the CDs...both Sammi Baker and Jim Ward.

Robert and Mandy, are in fact, two of my dearest friends in the world, and my wife and I stay with them in Boca every vacation. Matter of fact, we'll be with them next month for a couple of weeks. They still perform all around the area, although no more cruise ships, and sound better then ever. They now have a handful of beautiful grand kids, and are possibly working on an act to be booked on cruise ships as a feature act.

Aloha,

Dave Soreff

G'day - first time post. I happened to see the old Topaz, now in PeaceBoat livery, alongside in Sydney Harbour the other day. Brought back some memories, as I was a piano player onboard her in 1989 as the TSS Carnivale. Mentioned it to My Lovely Wife (MLW) that evening, and we started talking about the Dophin IV, a ship that I had the honour of being Cruise Director on in the early 90's...incredibly saddened to hear of the passing of Captain Galiatsatos. A rare type of captain and a soft hearted tough guy. We used to sit in his cabin on embarkation days, looking at the comment cards and speculating on the quality of the coming cruise.

And I see a couple of posts from David Soreff, the man responsible for my marriage. David, the time spent with you onboard those grand old vessels will always be some of the best memories ever. I owe you more than just a couple emails. If anyone out there happens across David and his lovely wife, please shout howdy for us. A gentler man never walked the face of this Earth.

Anyone have any photos of the Dolphin IV from the early to mid 90's? I'd love to see some photos of my old home.

Doug,

My lord, the things you see online...of all the boards in all the world, you come into this one. (Sorry to paraphrase Casablanca....trite but nice). I sadly have the last picture of the Dolphin and will be glad to send it to you....but be forewarned, it's on the beach in Alang in a sad state of tear down. But, when we're on land again, (in a few days) I'll send you some links to a place with some lovely shots of our dear Dolphion IV in better days. IF and only if you promise to send me a current e-mail at davesoreff@mac.com (yes, I am a confirmed Mac-head now) and promise as well to not disappear again for another few years. Too few cool people like you and Don in this world to tolerate that.

Falien and I are off for vacation on May 1st, after having done ten months on the Diamond Princess, first in the Wheelhosue and then for the last seven months as the Hawaiian duo. Some advantages to having half your group be a local girl, eh? But I won't spill it all to give you incentive to write.

I could say many of the same words about you as you did me....there are a few lovely memories we could share with all...and a few that are best kept between Lifeboat Party alumni. Hopefully I'll hear from you soon.

Aloha,

Dave

G'day Dave-

A wild hope that ya'll would see this post, but didn't expect a reply so soon. I've been taking my lunch break to browse your blog - any other readers out there, check these guys out - they've got more collective time at sea than anyone else I know and inevitably have the game figured out.

Dave, an email will follow shortly....it's been way WAY too long since I've kept in contact. You always were the lyric driven one....I'm more into chords.

Cheers, mate-

Doug

afn10305 - I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I just today came across your post to me. Unfortunately, we only have a few pics of ourselves and our dining partners. But my wife and I definitely remember you guys. We always go to all the shows when we cruise, both professional and passenger shows. So we were at the talent show you refer to. My wife even remembers crying! Every cruise is special, but the one that truly began your lives together must be extra-special. What a way to begin a Millenium!

Best Wishes

Bob and Terry

afn10305 - I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I just today came across your post to me. Unfortunately, we only have a few pics of ourselves and our dining partners. But my wife and I definitely remember you guys. We always go to all the shows when we cruise, both professional and passenger shows. So we were at the talent show you refer to. My wife even remembers crying! Every cruise is special, but the one that truly began your lives together must be extra-special. What a way to begin a Millenium!

Best Wishes

Bob and Terry

No worries. I'm convinced someone out there must have at least one picture. It will still always be one of my greatest memories.

We just got back on Thursday from surprising my best friend for her 40th birthday on the Carnival Inspiration and what fun it was to cruise with a group of friends! I love my husband, but it was a totally different experience to have other girlfriends along. We hope to plan more "friend" cruises in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Is there anyone here that worked on the Dolphin IV during 92-93? I am looking for a guy named Tibor who is from Hungary and was a waiter in the main dining room.

If any one knows his last name or has current info about him I would be really happy to know more information.

Thanks,

~Tamara~:p