First timer on Carnival - book flight thru them or on my own?

abw2005

We are booking our first cruise on Carnival Freedom for Jan 2010 here before long, and I'm just curious how many people book their flights with Carnival,and how many book on their own. I'm some what uncomfortable not knowing my flight plans and would like to be there a day before/day after so I'm not rushing around. Do you normally save money by booking on your own? Thanks in advance!

We are booking our first cruise on Carnival Freedom for Jan 2010 here before long, and I'm just curious how many people book their flights with Carnival,and how many book on their own. I'm some what uncomfortable not knowing my flight plans and would like to be there a day before/day after so I'm not rushing around. Do you normally save money by booking on your own? Thanks in advance!

I used to book with Carnival because it was much easier back then and also back then the Airline Industry was in much better shape, but from what I have been reading today, they are booking their flights way too close for comfort, I mean flights that land at the cruise port around 2pm. Thats crazy.

Book on your own and also book 1 or 2 days prior to cruise date to be safe.

I'm all for the airline credit cards. You usually get 20,000 miles for getting one (1 RT right off the bat) and the one I have gives me a $50 RT companion fare every year. Since you are 1 1/2 years from sailing, just putting your groceries and gas on it, adds miles up real fast. But you need to make sure you pay it off every month. It's definitely an option to consider.

Debbie

I would go it alone. On our cruise, they were quoting 500 dollars or something like that a piece. We got it for 500 bucks altogether, or something like that. They also wanted us to take a red eye and land at a weird hour. With booking our own, we got a better airfare, better times, and peace of mind. That is worth a million bucks right there!

If you use Carnival Fly Away program they can fly you in before the day before the crusie and make you hotel resvatons. They have me stay at a 4 star Hotel. I have a borther that lives in Tampa he told me this is a very upsscale lace and I will be staying there for less than what I could book it myself.

I originally booked our air fare with CCL because it was actually cheaper than the airlines at that time. Aside from not knowing what flight, time, and how many layovers are involved, it was still cheaper, then. Since then, I have found nonstop flights that are more to my liking, so I called my PVP and canceled the air portion. Mind you, I'm still coming in the day before the cruise, and I know I'm going to pay too much for our room. But having control over my travel plans is worth it to me!:rolleyes:

Archived