Safes and hand sanitizer - FOS

Every room I have had on Royal Caribbean (three different ships) had safes in the room (two of these were interiors and one a balcony). Some safes you used a credit card or card with a magnetic strip to open it, some you programmed a code with a numeric pad.

As for the hand sanitizers the frequency of those tend to fluctuate. There is some research that they do more harm than good. They do not clean one's hands nearly as well as proper washing with soap and water and maybe people use the gels as a substitute for soap and water. Also people tend to not put enough gel onto their hands to be effective, not rub for long enough, and not cover the entire surface area of their hands. That said they are typically available outside of most food areas on RCL ships.

There should be a safe in every cabin on the newer ships. They most likely will be the "coded" safes.

If there's not an outbreak of Noro, then you may not have the sanitizers. If some have reported illness, then the sanitizers tend to show up. The thing with sanitizing and washing is that once you touch anything, the "clean" effect is gone!

Yes on the safes. On the Voyager and Freedom they worked with a code punched in.

No on the hand sanitizers--at least on the Freedom and the Voyager when we were on them. We did not have an outbreak of the virus on any of them. However, when we asked the Captain at a Q&A about the lack of them around the ship, he said like the OP said, that people were depending on them too much and not hand washing properly thinking they were "protected" and vigorous hand washing is really the only preventive. I avoided foods in the buffet that could be "inspected and rejected" like bread, cookies, sandwiches, whatever that could be picked up by hand and put back down again if they didn't want it. On our NCL cruise, I didn't eat anything out of the buffet except hot soup and ice cream that was served by the crew (with gloves on) because I saw so much of it going on and too many people not using the hand sanitizers going into the buffet. I heard the cruise after ours had a big outbreak of it.

When we embarked at one time from port, they were passing out "wipes". The Captain said it was because there had been an outbreak on another ship in port with us so they wanted to be pro-active that we didn't touch something they did. Huh? They aren't effective, but all the sudden they became effective.

So, bring your Purex. I, also, used a product called "Invisible Armor" which is a hand cream that supposably protects you up to four hours. But, it is an antibacterial which I heard does not protect you against the virus. No matter, I washed my hands so "vigorously" and often that I needed the "cream" part of it anyway. I, also, loaded up on Cold FX, zinc tablets, and AirBorne before leaving home which I don't think does anything for the virus but is suppose to build up your immune system against the "bugs" that fly around planes and in enclosed areas on a ship. All I can say is that my bad cold that I would invariably get during/after every cruise I have not gotten since I started doing that. Husband, who does not, suffers during/post cruiseand not much sympathy from me because I offered it to him (lol). I pack cold medicine for him. On our November trans-Atlantic, there were many very sick people with colds/flu. The life expectancy of a Kleenex box in a cabin or bathroom was about 1 hour because everyone was hauling them around with them (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Archived