San Blas

getawaygirl

Heh there, Were looking to do something a little different and I've been reading about San Blas outside of Puerta Vallarta. Has anyone ever ventured out there and taken the jungle cruise trip to see the alligators? Just wondering what it's like and how bad were the bugs. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

Heh there, Were looking to do something a little different and I've been reading about San Blas outside of Puerta Vallarta. Has anyone ever ventured out there and taken the jungle cruise trip to see the alligators? Just wondering what it's like and how bad were the bugs. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

What time of the year are you doing this???

Too bad that cruise ship tours never include a trip to San Blas. it is such an interesting trip and the boat trip through the mangroves and up the river is really neat. You might see some crocodilel, local huts built over the water and enjoy a grat lunch right at the beach.

I would check out a tour company such as Superior Tours at www.superiourtours.com They have a nice bus that hold eight people and give you a great deal on a tour like that. I am sure you won't be sorry.

We did that tour one trip, and really enjoyed it. The particular day we were on it was really hot. I truly didn't think we'd see crocodiles, maybe a little caiman at best. Just as I was about to put my hand in the water to cool off (yes, we were told not to, but I seriously thought it was to get us to think we might see crocs), a croc was spotted...a BIG one, and can they move fast. Okay, no hands in the water now!

Anyway, it was a nature, history, and culture trip all rolled into one. We saw flamingoes and other exotic birds in the wild, in addition to the crocs, went to the fort in San Blas (amazing how far it is from where it originally was, due to normal changes in the shore), had free time in San Blas, and lots of other stuff.

I've been to San Blas many times. (My late husband and I spent winter vacations there.) LaTovara is a very nice trip. You'll be on a small boat with maybe 4-6 passengers and the guide. Most guides speak fairly good English - enough so that you'll understand you need to watch for birds, iguanas, crocodiles, etc. Once you get to the spring-fed Tovara, you'll have time for lunch and a dip in the water. The crocodiles are fenced off from the swimmers. Lots of fish to feed with leftover tortillas. Don't forget to buy your guide a soda or beer. The lunches are OK - you'd better like fish. There are some souvenir trinkettes to buy there, too.

The bugs aren't bad during the day - but avoid being outside early morning and late afternoon. That's when they start to bite. The locals call them mosquitoes but they are tiny black flies. You won't see them but believe me, you'll feel 'em!

If you have the chance, have the driver take you to the beach. There are more places to dine and there are virtually no vendors to bother you. If you don't care about the beach and want some wonderful food, stop at the Hotel Garza Canela and have a meal at El Delphin Restaurant. You'll wonder how such a lovely place exists. I hope we'll get to make this trip when we're on our cruise in November.

Superior Tours Vallarta has a tour to San Blas for $99/pp. They need at least 4 people to make the trip. It's 6 hours of driving time.

Thanks for the info. Do you remember which tour company you went with? We'll be there on a Tuesday and I'm concerned about times and schedules. I know it must be a very long tour.

I don't remember which company, but I know we were home in time for dinner!

• 1 month later...

did this town a long time ago from p.v. long bus ride to tepic then cab to san blas stayed for a couple of days did the jungle cruise and it was nice saw some iguanas and some snakes. took a dip in the spring. drank some coco loco's

that town and trip was a true slice of mexico.

Archived