Rate satisfaction- Baltics verses Med

We've done several Med cruises and loved each one. We love the ambience, climate and especially love Italy and Greece.

Not bored yet but I feel we should branch out and try the Baltics. When I look at the Baltics, I see lots of cities and all day excursions in Berlin, St Petersburg, etc.

We have some scheduling limitations, probably looking at next May or September. There are Baltic cruises during these months.

I would love to hear comments about the pros of cruising the Baltics. What ports are the must sees?

I see a couple of cruises that go into the Norwegian fiords but very limited and not sure if would work out with our schedules. I know I would enjoy that route.

We sail mainstream cruise lines and the options are mostly roundtrip Copenhagen.

I know you cannot predict how I will like this region.

Thanks in advance.

Frankly spoken:

If you have to ask this question you should better stay in the MedSea.

In Germany, Poland, the Baltic Countries, Scandinavia and Russia there is nothing like in the MedSea. Totally different Lifestyle, Habits, Culture, Nature, Food etc..

You want to discover something new - you book the Baltics

or

you do not want - then there is no need to ask this question.

That's your decision.

I would say: experience the difference!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

We have done both and loved both.

Check out our review and pics at

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/med.html

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland.html

http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/baltic.html

The highlight of the Baltic for most people is, of course, St. Petersburg. This is inevitably two intense days of trying to see as much as possible. It is quite different from anyplace in the Med.

Other than that, for me at least, there are not so many MUST DO places in the Baltic so in some ports a half day excursion, or just a trip into town, made things more restful.

Obviously, lying around the pool soaking up the sun is not so popular on Baltic cruises!

If you have done the Med a couple of times, I think you will find the Baltic a different experience. OTOH if you like what you are doing, why change??

Which type of person are you?

Have a GREAT cruise!

If you want to have lots of sunshine and rather stable weather go to the Med.

In May and September the Baltic as well as Norway are much cooler and have bigger rainchances.

Between a baltic sailing and Norway there again some differences.

If you like cities with different cultures make a Baltic cruise.

If you more like nature, make a cruise to Norway. Many ships sail through at least one or more fjords, some even as north as close to the arctic circle.

We have done the Med three times and the Baltic once and getting ready to go there a second time. We chose a cruise that had three days in St. Petersburg and 2 days in Stockholm as both cities have so much to see! Copenhagen and Helsinki are also lovely. Talinn is OK and have not been to Berlin yet..this trip we are..

We are going early to Copenhagen for extra time there.Loved it.

These ports are very different from the Mediterranean area..Think hot colours..reds, yellows and turquoises for the Med..think blues, emerald greeen, and deep purple for the Blatic...all are lovely..just different!

St Petersburg is not to be missed!

Sherry

Think hot colours..reds, yellows and turquoises for the Med..think blues, emerald greeen, and deep purple for the Blatic...all are lovely..just different!

Are you color therapist???

Have not heared such a great comparison before... but you are totally right: close your eyes and you see these colors in your brain...

Great!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

We have done both. 2 cruises in the Med as well as land trips and 1 cruise to the Baltic. They are very different. The Baltic is much cooler but we like that weather. We definately do not like to travel in the summer when it is very hot in the Med and very crowded. May and September are great in the Med. We sailed May 30 to the Baltic and had good weather. There was only one cold day.

You can't go wrong with either. Have fun whatever you choose.

Almost everyone here has had a great response.

I have done the Med several times, several different itineraries. I just completed my first Baltic cruise.

Under no circumstances would I cruise anywhere in the Med during July and August. As much as I love the region, the suffocating heat and humidity would keep me onboard and air-conditioned. I'll choose cooler weather for exploring the Med... late spring, early fall dates are ideal.

During the heat of summer, though, the Baltic region is cooler. It was just perfect for me, despite a rainy start.

Asking the question is like asking if you should continue in the Caribbean or try an Alaska cruise. Yes, they are that different! And yes, the Baltic cruises tend to be more specifically destination-oriented and much more compressed than Med cruises. Most of my excursions were half-day, and then I could explore on my own or enjoy the ship for the rest of the time.

I'm looking forward to another Med cruise, but I'm also looking forward to exploring more of Stockholm and Copenhagen and Helsinki. And the three intense, exhausting days I had in St. Petersburg made this a trip of a lifetime for me.

Good luck with your decision!

Jana

I have done both and even though I enjoyed them both, the Mediterranean cruise will always be our favorite.

Northern Europe is neat, loved exploring London before the embarking, we have been to Paris a few times before so that was not a novelty anymore, Denmark and Cork, Ireland were our favorite port cities aside from London.

But so far nothing has compared to the Amalfi Coast and Venice. We are looking forward to doing another Med cruise but next time to the Greek Isles.

Archived