Back from the Dawn

ChiSquare8

Disclosure: Past Cruises Celebrity 22, Princess 1, RCCL 3, and Windjammer 2

NCL 1 (13 years ago)

I had an OK cruises! I will write a review later in the week. Below is a quick summary.

Pro's:

* Cruise Director was superb

* Easy disembarkation

* Free expresso in dining rooms

* Promanade Deck (full lap)

* Le Bistro was very good

* Cagney's good

* Impressions good

* Excellent entertainment (I especially liked Second City)

* Freestyle dining

* Dining lunches were good

Con's

* Very impersonal service in dining venues (felt rushed during most meals)

* I did not think the dining and cabin staff were friendly like on other lines (i.e. areas that the automatic service surcharges encompass)

* The buffet was awful for lunch (breakfast was OK)

* Pool too small for size of the ship

* Children in the adult pool constantly

* Drinking and undesirable behavior in older teens (cruise staff just seemed to ignore thier inappropiate behavior)

* Desserts were not very good (unless it was "flan" type dessert)

* No homemade ice creams/No lemonade or fruit punch in buffet

I just got back today from the Dawn also. My family and I had a great time. I will write up a long review and post it later in the week.

I do agree with a few things chisquare said such as the pool was too small and the desserts weren't too good.

However, our dinining experience was the opposite of rushed-sometimes dinner took 2 and a half hours (but there were 9 of us)

We ate at most of the restaurents and most of the food was great. THe entertainment was great especially Jose and Patty.

Will write more later

Bonnie

You are getting me a little worried. We leave in two weeks.

I did hear that the cd was great but he left today. Any idea who the new one is?

How about Salas- was is still free with the exception of the lobster tacos?

What time did you arrive at the pier?

What did you do in Bermuda? How was the weather?

Welcome home!!!

Disclosure: Past Cruises Celebrity 22, Princess 1, RCCL 3, and Windjammer 2

NCL 1 (13 years ago)

I had an OK cruises! I will write a review later in the week. Below is a quick summary.

Pro's:

* Cruise Director was superb

* Easy disembarkation

* Free expresso in dining rooms

* Promanade Deck (full lap)

* Le Bistro was very good

* Cagney's good

* Impressions good

* Excellent entertainment (I especially liked Second City)

* Freestyle dining

* Dining lunches were good

Con's

* Very impersonal service in dining venues (felt rushed during most meals)

* I did not think the dining and cabin staff were friendly like on other lines (i.e. areas that the automatic service surcharges encompass)

* The buffet was awful for lunch (breakfast was OK)

* Pool too small for size of the ship

* Children in the adult pool constantly

* Drinking and undesirable behavior in older teens (cruise staff just seemed to ignore thier inappropiate behavior)

* Desserts were not very good (unless it was "flan" type dessert)

* No homemade ice creams/No lemonade or fruit punch in buffet

Great points. Looking forward to the full review.

I do have to agree that NCL has always been VERY lax in the control of kids and teens who are running loose on the ships. On the Star, they were all over the back stairs and playing in the elevators. They almost knocked my mother over and another cursed me out in the elevator because I dared use the elevator while he was playing Elevator Tag. (funny part was, I teach behavioral handicapped students and his tirade was nothing compared to others.) When I went to complain about all the incidents to the purser's desk, their response was: "kids will be kids..." and nothing was done.

Unfortunately, NCL is afraid of making "mommy and daddy" mad if they try to stop the kids. (of course, mommy' and daddy's who let their kids run wild would probably be mad and complain....) So they just ignore the situation.

It's like I said in my letter to NCL after that cruise... someone is going to have to get hurt before NCL will do anything about those hooligans....

I also didn't know that there was an adult pool except in the spa area. The main pool deck was for all ages when we were on the Dawn.

I also didn't know that there was an adult pool except in the spa area. The main pool deck was for all ages when we were on the Dawn.

Since all the kids are in the main pool, maybe the Dawn should get rid of the kids pool (T-Rex) located in the back of the ship and redo that area as an adult only pool. This way the kids can jump all over each other in the main pool; and the adults who want peace and quiet can have it.

Speaking of kids...

Mine are too old for the T-Rex

You're right...I guess the problem of kids in the pool is not the age group that uses the T-Rex pool.

Somehow loud unruly kids in the pools seems to be a mainstay negative whenever a review of an NCL ship is given.

Even Carnival has FREE adult only pools- Wonder why NCL never bothered?

You're right...I guess the problem of kids in the pool is not the age group that uses the T-Rex pool.

Somehow loud unruly kids in the pools seems to be a mainstay negative whenever a review of an NCL ship is given.

Even Carnival has FREE adult only pools- Wonder why NCL never bothered?

This was corrected on other ships. The Pearl had an adult only pool and it stayed like that - because the kids were on the slide. The Dawn has a lot of things that were corrected on the Jewel or Pearl. Especially not accomodating quad balconies. The whole Dawn pool area is tight and honestly the reason why I debated on not sailing on her again ( well besides the not having quad balconies :D ).

While we don't travel with our children (they are all adults) any more, we do understand that other families do.

We have no problem paying for use of the spa pool.

No kids..quiet, peaceful....absolutely wonderful.

If it was free...it wouldn't be that way.

First cruise I took, it was free...and crowded. I much prefer it the way it is now. I don't think we have ever encountered more than a dozen people in the whole area any time we went there. It is MY favorite part of cruising...so relaxing.

The movies that i remember seeing on the TV were the Bucket list, one of the older Batmans, Pirates of the Carribbeans, Charley Wilson's War. i am sure there were others but that is all I remember.

Yes no charge for Salsa except for the lobster tacos.

I do have to agree that NCL has always been VERY lax in the control of kids and teens who are running loose on the ships. On the Star, they were all over the back stairs and playing in the elevators. They almost knocked my mother over and another cursed me out in the elevator because I dared use the elevator while he was playing Elevator Tag. When I went to complain about all the incidents to the purser's desk, their response was: "kids will be kids..." and nothing was done.

Unfortunately, NCL is afraid of making "mommy and daddy" mad if they try to stop the kids. (of course, mommy' and daddy's who let their kids run wild would probably be mad and complain....) So they just ignore the situation.

It's like I said in my letter to NCL after that cruise... someone is going to have to get hurt before NCL will do anything about those hooligans.

The behavior you mention regarding these out of control kids and teens is exactly the reason we choose cruises when school is in session.

Our daughter is now grown, however, she was never disrespectful or out of control in public places such as the incidents that seem to be commonplace on most summer cruises. NCL really needs to address this situation or suffer the financial consequences. I'm guessing that less than 5% of the passengers on any one sailing are represented by these "hooligans". It makes no sense whatsoever that 95% of the PAYING passengers should have their vacations disrupted by such a small minority of people.

I thought the CD John Ibrahim was there until November.. He was the best CD we have seen.

my Dawn contact has shared with me that middle of august john is tentatively going to be reassigned to another ship, possibly majesty (but nothing confirmed). and just like any other corporate business in the world, things can change for a multitude of reasons.

i personally feel John is a great asset to any ship. i was on the Dawn this past June and it was John's first week as the CD (i think because Pedro was on vacation?). nevertheless...if there is a person that was qualified to make a transition appear seamless...it's John. He REALLY takes the time to know his passengers. we can only imagine what his job is like. what we see is only a fraction of his responsibilities.

NCL has many great CDs out there. my other favorite was Kevin Warner (on my 2003 Norwegian Sea sailing)...not sure if he's still around. but definitely another good one.

I planned our CC Group Cruise for early June to beat the hurricane season and get some good pricing. While I’ve never had a bad experience with rowdy kids and young teens, going before school is out may be another advantage towards a more relaxing cruise!;)

Looking forward to the reviews!

The movies that i remember seeing on the TV were the Bucket list, one of the older Batmans, Pirates of the Carribbeans, Charley Wilson's War. i am sure there were others but that is all I remember.

Yes no charge for Salsa except for the lobster tacos.

Thank you for both replies!

If anyone remembers any other movies that would be great. the movie theatre is still on the Dawn right?

The behavior you mention regarding these out of control kids and teens is exactly the reason we choose cruises when school is in session.

Our daughter is now grown, however, she was never disrespectful or out of control in public places such as the incidents that seem to be commonplace on most summer cruises. NCL really needs to address this situation or suffer the financial consequences. I'm guessing that less than 5% of the passengers on any one sailing are represented by these "hooligans". It makes no sense whatsoever that 95% of the PAYING passengers should have their vacations disrupted by such a small minority of people.

NCL should enforce the rules-- but the parents should be held responsible

and monitor their children's behavior and not let them roam around the ship causing havoic.

Big Green

NCL should enforce the rules-- but the parents should be held responsible

and monitor their children's behavior and not let them roam around the ship causing havoic.

Big Green

sometimes i wonder if they should bring back "walking the plank".

Archived