Rostock? Shwerin? Warnemunde?

:confused: I am arriving in Warnemunde for one day (via cruise ship) and I'm not very interested in traveling all the way to Berlin. I can't seem to decide what else to do. Rostock? Schwerin? I would love to hear suggestions & what each of these places have to offer (and please include the easiest ways on getting to these places). Thank you! :)

We did Rostock and Warnemunde. I think you could do both in one day. Rostock is your typical German town, with a couple lovely churches, a nice town square (with a flea market), and an old university to walk around.

Warnemunde has a nice beach resort area, which is a pretty walk, and has tons of cafes and souvenir shops. We had lunch at a cafe and it was quite good. We also enjoyed the "beach" atmosphere. However, I have to say that of all ports, this one had the least "sticking power" with me.

We had to take a taxi to Rostock as my DH is in a wheelchair, but it would be an easy train ride from the pier.

Rostock is your typical German town, with a couple lovely churches, a nice town square (with a flea market), and an old university to walk around.

Warnemunde has a nice beach resort area, which is a pretty walk, and has tons of cafes and souvenir shops.

These are exactly the points...

a typical German town

a typical German fisher village with a beach resort

while Schwerin is for a castle fans at a beautiful lake.

Check the reasons for Schwerin here.

Regards,

HeinBloed

These are exactly the points...

a typical German town

a typical German fisher village with a beach resort

while Schwerin is for a castle fans at a beautiful lake.

Check the reasons for Schwerin here.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you Heinbloed! I will probably go with Schwerin. I have seen you mention Lubeck. Can you tell me a little about this town and can I do Schwerin and Lubeck in one day? Please let me know what your itinerary preference would be. I am coming in on the Splendor on 9/2/08.:)

Thank you Heinbloed! I will probably go with Schwerin. I have seen you mention Lubeck. Can you tell me a little about this town and can I do Schwerin and Lubeck in one day? Please let me know what your itinerary preference would be. I am coming in on the Splendor on 9/2/08.:)

Good Reasons for Lübeck: see here.

Yes - you can do it one day:

200809020837HROHL-vi.jpg

200809021401HLSN-vi.jpg

200809021751SNHRO-vi.jpg

200809022036HROWmd-vi.jpg

The normal fare for the trip would be:

22.00 EUR + 12.80 EUR + 14.60 EUR + 1.70 EUR = 51.10 pp...

But let's do it à la HeinBloed:

You buy for the section Warnemünde - Rostock for 1.70 EUR a single ticket

plus

1 Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 25.00 EUR for 5 persons (!!!)

Subject you find other 4 cruisers who will join you on this tour, your transportation cost will be 6.70 EUR pp.

Should you decide to make this tour and need more information:

leave your e-mail-address on this board

or

write to

CC-DOWNLOAD (at) nickname-online dot de

(Please replace nickname by my nickname used here in this forum)

and you'll get additional instructions

how you get to the station

how to buy tickets

how to get from the station to the city center

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed,

That is terrific advice you gave OP. I am going to be in Warnemunde on 14/8/2008 and was interested in seeing both Schwerin and Lubeck. Would that be possible using Bahn? My ship gets in around 8am and departs at 10pm. I was thinking of renting a car, but thought it might be more interesting to travel by train. Thanks for any advice.

HeinBloed,

That is terrific advice you gave OP. I am going to be in Warnemunde on 14/8/2008 and was interested in seeing both Schwerin and Lubeck. Would that be possible using Bahn? My ship gets in around 8am and departs at 10pm. I was thinking of renting a car, but thought it might be more interesting to travel by train. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like you are on NORWEGIAN JEWEL.

According to the Port Call List of Rostock:

YOU ARE NOT CALLING WARNEMÜNDE!!!

But Rostock Pier 41.

CARNIVAL SPLENDOR and THOMSON CELEBRATION are occupying the Warnemünde piers.

That makes planning somehow more difficult, as the trains to this terminal is not going very frequently.

The train schedule:

200808141006HROHL-vi.jpg

200808141601HLSN-vi.jpg

200808141837SNHRO-vi.jpg

I. e. you cannot really get a good connection by train.

1. due to schedule

2. due to tariff: you have to use an IC-train from Schwerin to Rostock which make it 18.50 EUR pp more expensive. So the advantage just to use a Länderticket Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for 25.00 EUR for 5 persons is not really applicable.

I would book a car to make both possible.

1st option: AVIS, HERTZ, EUROPCAR, SIXT and ask for Delivery to Rostock Seehafen - Pier 41 at Ost-West-Straße

2nd option: the local car rental agency opposite of Pier 41

2007HROOWStrRight-vi.jpg

Autovermietung am Seehafen

Phone: 011 49 381 6700286

Fax: 011 49 381 6700287

They are still listed in the Yellow Pages.

3rd option: Or you go with the train or bus to Rostock Hbf (Central Station) and rent with Sixt. Their location is just opposite of Central Station.

I would go by car to eleminate the disadvantages by using the train: Trains between Warnemünde and Rostock are going every 10-30 minutes. Trains between Rostock Seehafen Nord and Rostock are going every 60-120 minutes.

Now it's your decision.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Thank you so much for the advice, HeinBloed. It really seems like renting a car is the best option.

Regards,

CalTrojan

Could it be that you are starting on Aug 11, 2008 in Dover your cruise?

I am leaving NORWEGIAN JEWEL on this day in Dover.

Subject you made all arrangements for the car rental you should contact me BEFORE THURSDAY!!!

I can leave at the reception desk some information and maps for your plannings.

Leave your e-mail-address here on the board for details or contact me at

CC-DOWNLOAD (at) nickname-online dot de

(Please replace nickname by nickname used in this forum)

Regards,

HeinBloed

Archived