Permission To Travel With A Minor

ScotFi

Last Easter I took six girls three under 18 on a spring break cruise. I had consent forms for all of them just in case. Also forms giving me permission to authorize medical treatment. Attached to the medical form was a list of any medications they may being taken.

I figure it is better to have every piece of paper they might ask for then be standing there watching the ship sail without us!

Did they ever ask for it?

we are taking our grandsons on Independance of the Seas in 2 weeks . here is a copy of the reply I had from RCL on this subject .Adults who are not the parent or legal guardian of the minor child must produce a notarized letter signed by at least one of the childs parents. The notarized letter from the childs parent must authorise the travelling adult to take the child on the specific cruise , must authorize the guardian to sign legal documents / waivers for participation in any activities requiring them .and must authorize the guardian to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. A full transcript of this can be found on page 13 of the guest documents booklet . A solicitor can notarize the letter . hope this helps J

I took my daughter and her friend to London last spring. We flew to London, spent a few days, took a train to Paris and spent a few days, then took the train back to London. No one ever asked to see written permission for my daughter's friend to travel with us.

UNTIL...taking the train back to London from Paris. I was required to produce the forms, signed by both her parents and notarized. I told the gentleman in security, "Wow, you're the first person who has asked for it." He expressed surprise, stating that it should have been required at each exit point. I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't had it, but I was certainly glad I did...

They no longer require a parent to have the form. It is only if the minor is traveling with someone other than their mother or their father. If they are traveling with one parent, the form is no longer required. I am sure this varies from cruise line to cruise line; however, it is no longer in RCCL's cruise contract.

This wasn't a cruise, but we flew to Mexico recently. My husband was parking the car and told me to go ahead and check myself and my daughters in, go through security, and he would follow shortly. They wouldn't let us check in at the ticket counter until I could produce either my husband or a notarized permission form. They were certainly strict with us, and I think it's actually a very good thing. Also, they told me this was a Mexican requirement, not a US one.

Yes, I typed up a letter with all the details and had it notarized at AAA when I took my daughter on the Explorer of the Seas. They never even asked for it. When I took her to New Zealand with my mother and sister I didn't bother because my husband was at the airport helping to check us in, so it was obvious that I had permission to let her go. When I take her on other cruises I will allways get a notarized letter, it is better to be safe than sorry. Husband doesn't like cruises.

They no longer require a parent to have the form. It is only if the minor is traveling with someone other than their mother or their father. If they are traveling with one parent, the form is no longer required. I am sure this varies from cruise line to cruise line; however, it is no longer in RCCL's cruise contract.

It really doesn't matter if RCCL doesn't require it. It is a requirement under the Hague Convention Of 1980 which the US is a party to. It calls for the permission to travel forms for children to help deter international abductions. You can be stopped by a custums official and asked for this document, and if you don't have it, it could be a problem. The airlines could also ask you for this or question your child. Why risk it?

The Convention was Of 1980 was ratified to protect the rights of custodial parents, and as a custodial parent, I would have never let my child leave the country with my ex. He was always threatening to take her away when she was little. Trust me when I say, the letters of permission are a good thing.

*The Hague Convention only requires permission forms until age 16.

We just got off the Enchantment where we were travelling with a 17 year old friend of our daughter. We had the notarized and signed letter from her mother but no one asked to see it. I just kept it in the safe in case someone asked for it.

We just got off the Enchantment where we were travelling with a 17 year old friend of our daughter. We had the notarized and signed letter from her mother but no one asked to see it. I just kept it in the safe in case someone asked for it.

That's because she is was 17. She can travel anywhere she wants at that age, no permission whatsoever required. My older daughter (17) flew to Europe the day before I did, and there were no special arrangements at all to be made for her.

We were flying, though, not cruising.

Sorry to disagree, but as a divorced dad, I had to have the form recently. I just got out of court two months ago having to get the form from my ex and we even had to read the requirement from the US State Department into the court records to show the US government requirement. I wish I didn't but I can't change what the US State Department requires.

We had a signed copy notorized from our friend's mom to our mom for permission, and everything, but they did not check it, not even once. She even stayed in my parents room with my sister, obviously different last name, but they didn't check. So we booked her this year with her mother, brother, and step dad, and she obviously has a different last name than them too, but when we called at set it up, but asked who she was travelling with because of a different last name. So I guess it is all different and depends on who you talk to and who checks you in and everything.

Archived