Casablanca - off the maps??

erez

I'm looking for a cruise in the westren mediterranean, that includes Casablanca (or another port in Morroco) for the summer of 2009 - and can't find any. I know Princess has a cruise that includes Casablanca and Gibraltar this summer, but none in 2009.

I would appreciat any help from CC experts.

Thanks,

Erez.

I'm looking for a cruise in the westren mediterranean, that includes Casablanca (or another port in Morroco) for the summer of 2009 - and can't find any. I know Princess has a cruise that includes Casablanca and Gibraltar this summer, but none in 2009.

I would appreciat any help from CC experts.

Thanks,

Erez.

check out celebrity.. epecially on their trans-atlantic

Right now there are some protests about the call to prayers being too loud and one faction thinks it offends the tourists. I would recommend you write to me after 9/24 and as long as there isnt a civil war...we should be going. .parrotmom@verizon.net

Right now there are some protests about the call to prayers being too loud and one faction thinks it offends the tourists. I would recommend you write to me after 9/24 and as long as there isnt a civil war...we should be going. .parrotmom@verizon.net

I was just reading through the forums and when I read this, I just had to reply.

I do not know where you get your information, but there is no "protests" about the call to prayers! We're sorry if some tourist thinks call to prayer at dawn disturbs them, but we can't just skip a prayer for the tourists.

I wouldn't tell a church to mute or keep the sound of their bills down either as that would be offensive, wouldn't it?

I was just reading through the forums and when I read this, I just had to reply.

I do not know where you get your information, but there is no "protests" about the call to prayers! We're sorry if some tourist thinks call to prayer at dawn disturbs them, but we can't just skip a prayer for the tourists.

I wouldn't tell a church to mute or keep the sound of their bills down either as that would be offensive, wouldn't it?

This is from the Boston Globe of 8/10/08--I wouldnt make this up--

http://www.boston.com/news/world/africa/articles/2008/08/10/moroccans_divided_on_loud_prayer_calls/

BTW.. we were in Agadair last year and our experience for your interest was pretty horrible....we had a guide to Touradant who spent the entire trip telling us about the joys of Islam and how wonderful the women thought it was. Frankly, I hope never to get there again.. it was a very negative experience, but we will be in Casablanca to go to Marrakesh..finally

That is not even considered an issue here. It was a communist lady at the parliament who asked to have call to prayers at mosques near hotels at dawn kept down. All of us Moroccans resent the idea, so there is no faction for and another faction against.

And sorry to hear you had a bad experience. But that's what you usually get when you go with a large group tour. One guide for all and all for one guide! Hope your upcoming visit to Marrakech would be a better experience.

Be careful of what you read in the news. Having lived in Morocco for two years, I am often shocked at how issues there are blown out of proportion in the Western press.

There is no need to be frightened or worried when traveling to Morocco. It's an extremely safe place.

I lived next door to a mosque (I'm Muslim, so the call to prayer didn't bother me, anyway) and most of the time I couldn't even hear the loudspeaker.

Moroccanguy--we have family near Agadir, in Ait Melloul.

Be careful of what you read in the news. Having lived in Morocco for two years, I am often shocked at how issues there are blown out of proportion in the Western press.

There is no need to be frightened or worried when traveling to Morocco. It's an extremely safe place.

I lived next door to a mosque (I'm Muslim, so the call to prayer didn't bother me, anyway) and most of the time I couldn't even hear the loudspeaker.

Moroccanguy--we have family near Agadir, in Ait Melloul.

If there is one thing Parrot Mom and Parrot Pop are...we are not AFRAID of traveling to Morocco..lol...or ALMOST anywhere else..I look forward to the experience and embrace it. Being in Marrakesh hopefully will be the highlight of this trip, meeting Moroccans, seeing the beautiful sites. I only wish it were for a longer period

Parrot Mom and Parrot Pop...I love your screen names! I'm glad you're not afraid of embracing the unknown. It is too bad you won't have much time in Morocco, but it's better than nothing.

You'll have wonderful time in Marrakech. Enjoy.

YES,we have five parrots.. and as Im telling fellow cruisers dont be surprised if I try to smuggle home a baby camel or little Barbary Ape.. We tried last year to get to Marrakesh,but the ship would not stop in Casa because of perceived problems.. We just love being tourists and almost nothing will make me as happy as walking through the souk and shopping for native jewelry or whatever catches my fancy..lol But a day in Morocco is better than nothing and you never know what the future hold..do you???

Unfortunately the only information we have is from the press. :rolleyes:

There just does not seem to be enough information about your lovely country on the board or anywhere else that I can find.

I have been seeking a tour guide for Agardir for months and can not find any.

My emails are never returned, so unfortunately I guess the ship tours is our only option.

And I do not feel a ships tour is a good reputation of your country.

I would love to mingle with local people, just as if someone visited my country, I am Cherokee Indian, I would want people to see and know the truth of my people.

Too see the country of the Cherokee Indian as we honor it, the land, the traditions and the love and respect of our elders and land.

I would love to see the honor and pride of Morocco people.

I don't understand why it is not happening, but it is sad to me not the know country and people of Morocco.

Hi Tinwoman,

Contacting people in Morocco by e-mail is probably not the best way. Like many places, not everyone has a computer, and even if they do, checking, or specifically responding to e-mails doesn't always take priority over other things.

The phone is usually the best way to contact people, though that can be frustrating if there is a language barrier or a bad connection.

I don't know if these web sites would help anyone on this thread find information about tours etc., but you could try the sites www.wafin.com and www.moroccousa.com. These are sites geared primarily toward Moroccans living in the U.S., but they have classifieds and business sections where you might find links to people who could help you regarding tours in Agadir and other places.

And if you want to mingle...just dive right in and do so. If you learn a little Moroccan Arabic, it goes a long way. In Agadir, Souk el Ahad is a huge market and a great place to mingle! Just tell the taxi driver that's what you want.

All this talk of Morocco is making me nostalgic... :(

Parrot Mom: an ape or camel might be difficult, but you'd probably be able to smuggle back a turtle...they're sold at most market places as pets. :)

Parrot Mom: an ape or camel might be difficult, but you'd probably be able to smuggle back a turtle...they're sold at most market places as pets.

Turtles arent my style..salmonella and all,but I bet I can find a baby bird..No copper or brass tea pots for me..

OumBouchra, I assume you are Moroccan also? It's been a while since I last was in Ait Melloul, even though it's only a short bus drive away.:D

Tinwoma, I like your new photo! And I also find it interesting all that you said about Cherokee Indians! It is just great to know there are still some open-minded people out there who like to mingle with locals and get to know more about others' way of life. Stereotypes and ignorance do seem to go a long way these days!

If you like to exchange emails about our cultures, or if you have any questions about Morocco, in need of some extra info or anything, please just feel free to email me.:)

Morocco was the first country to recognize the American Independance in 1777. The Moroccan-American Treaty of Friendship signed in 1786 is the oldest unbroken treaty of friendship that the United States has with a foreign nation!

So a Kingdom that's been this old friends with the US deserves to still be considered as friendly and peaceful as it's always been not only towards Americans but towards all. After all, we Moroccans are known to be one of the most hospitale and friendliest people on this planet;) Don't judge us by some greedy shop owners or unprofessional guides!

Hi Moroccanguy (and anyone else who cares to read this post) :),

Actually, I'm not Moroccan. I'm Italian American, but my husband is Moroccan, and I lived in Casablanca for two years. We decided to move there just to see how things worked out. They didn't, and now we're back in the U.S. We haven't ruled out living there again, but for now things are going well for us, so we'll see what happens.

My husband's grandfather was from a small village near Agadir named Sidi Bibi. However, he moved his family close to Casablanca a long time ago, as it was easier for his various business dealings to be done there. He never lost ties with Agadir, though. He passed away a few years ago, but Lala still goes to Agadir regularly, for months at a time. My husband has two uncles who still live there, and one who lives in Casablanca, but has a huge farm (he exports fruit) near Taroudant.

Ait Melloul is where the insurance company of one of his uncles is located.

Unfortunately, I haven't been to Agadir for years. When we were living in Morocco, both of us were working and had no time for such a fairly long trip. We managed to get to Marrakech twice in two years, and Tangier twice (we have family there, also), but all in all, we didn't travel much.

We hope to return, either this year or next, for an extended visit. I'd like to stay for a few months, but doubt it is possible with my work schedule. My daughter was trilingual when we moved back here last year; now, except for a few words, she's lost everything. (She could even speak some Tishelhit because her babysitter was Berber.) Oh well, you just can't compete with the immersion environment. I speak darija, but speaking it a few words a day isn't going to make her fluent. My husband can't seem to get into the mindset of speaking Arabic with us, because when we met at university, we spoke English.

This is one of the best threads I've read on CC. DH and I will be in Casablanca in Nov. and have opted to not take a ship's tour for a variety of reasons. We want to spend time locally and not be herded into shops and onto buses. I know we'll miss some exciting places . . . but you give me hope that we'll also enjoy the area right in Casa. I look forward to our stop there, as well as to following up on your conversations with each other. Thanks for making my day!!!

On our last cruise last December before our stop in Casa was cancelled we tried to book a private tour and very little response from travel people or other cruisers..We do not like cruise tours but this trip on 9/9 we as well as most others on our cruise who are going to Marrakesh (heard it was sold out) have opted to take the ships tour BECAUSE..of the distance from Casa to Marakesh.. it is a 13 hour tour..with quite a long drive to Marrakesh.. When we are there it will be Ramadam so that there maybe less visitors No, I have my own agenda..lol.. and the souk is number one with the monkeys and the snake charmers.. We are doing private tours in Lisbon for two days and doing Mijas in Malaga on our own.. After our experience last year in Touradant.. I will make a point of telling the tour desk and warning them..we do not want to be pushed into overpriced shops or given a lecture on Islam..

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing you lived in Casablanca for a couple of years, do you think it would be a good idea for a senior couple of cruise visitors to travel by train to Marrakech, then get a guide from there? We are not shoppers, but would like to experience Marrakech. We would prefer train travel over bus travel for a long trip, if that is feasible from the cruise port. We may even be able to organise a group of fellow independent travellers from the ship.

When we are in Casablanca we want to go to Rick's American Bar....yes I know it is a tourist trap, but we are going. What I would like to know..is there a special drink to be sure and try? Harry's Bar in Venice has Bellini's, does Rick's have something special?

• 1 month later...

To MMDownUnder:

I hope it's not too late to respond to your queries. We've just moved to a new house and I've been off the boards for a while.

Do go to Marrakech. Unless you are wheelchair bound or have similar mobility issues, you'll have a great time (and even if you are wheelchair bound, try to go, but it might be harder to get up on the curbs--most are not handicapped friendly).

However, if time is an issue, I'd drive instead of taking the train. Or find a driver. If you have more than one night there, take the train.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

--OumBouchra

:) dear OumBouchra..we will be in Casablanca a Sunday from 8am to 5pm...we would love to see the HassanII Mosque but my DH is afraid that it would not be safe for us to walk from the ship to the mosque..What do you think? we would also like to stroll in the Medina after our visit to the mosque...thank-you

To MMDownUnder:

I hope it's not too late to respond to your queries. We've just moved to a new house and I've been off the boards for a while.

Do go to Marrakech. Unless you are wheelchair bound or have similar mobility issues, you'll have a great time (and even if you are wheelchair bound, try to go, but it might be harder to get up on the curbs--most are not handicapped friendly).

However, if time is an issue, I'd drive instead of taking the train. Or find a driver. If you have more than one night there, take the train.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

--OumBouchra

Thank you for your response, which is much appreciated.

We will be in Cassablanca for 13 hours from 9.00 am to 10.00 pm, so there would be time to travel to Marrakech for a brief taste. However, I wonder if a day visit from Cassablanca would do it justice. We wouldn't be doing any shopping, as our currency has devalued, but would love to see Marrakech.

CC has had negative comment about the length of the bus trip, even though they loved Marrakech. We have been thinking we might be better visiting Cassablanca, at a more leisurely pace, but realise it is more a business city.

My husband and I are fit seniors. We thought the train might be more comfortable than the bus. But as you recommend driving versus the train, that might not be the case.

Do you have any idea what the price would be to hire a driver for the day?

Your views would be appreciated.

Archived