Casablanca - off the maps??

erez

we went to marrakesh on a day tour--ship's tour--last april. I think it is worth a day visit. I would not do this on a private basis--I would only do it with a ship's tour. there were 6 buses going to marrakesh--all were 1-3 hours late back to the ship due to traffic from a soccer game. it is not worth taking a chance so far from the ship.

there is a brand new highway from casablanca to marrakesh. it is now only maybe a 2 hour trip. take plenty of bottled water with you. we saw the market, the historic palace and mosque (from the outside) and had a nice lunch.

I'll try to imagine myself in the role of a person who has never been to Morocco before, and who is faced with the decision of Casablanca or Marrakech...it's not easy for me to do, but I'll try...

I loved Marrakech, until crazy development set in, and resulted in things like metal bleachers being set up near the ancient Menara pool (I vowed never to return). But I'm a traditionalist, and let's face it: most Moroccans could use the income that things like a very nontraditional sound and light show (hence the bleachers) bring in.

Would I go there if I had only a day? I really don't know. My impulse is to say "yes", but I've been there three times and can't really appreciate how harried it probably is to go there just for a few hours. Is it worth it? I think so.

Marrakech is clinging to some threads of tradition, but these are quickly vanishing (in my humble opinion, at least). Casablanca, on the other hand, is modern day hustle and bustle. There is nothing remotely romantic about it. Really. Yes, there is the Hassan II mosque--which I find too mausoleum-like to pray in (I'm a Muslim and can enter the prayer areas; non-Muslims can view it from afar), but, well, that's about it. I mean, there are some very good restaurants and a pleasant beach stroll, but I doubt you are travelling all the way to Morocco to see a nice beach and to eat at a nice restaurant.

If you want to be close to the boat, stay in Casa. If you want more of a taste of mysticism and magic, go to Marrakech. But by train--well, I'd be careful. Trains aren't always on time. They get delayed. And you don't want to be stuck. The trains are comfortable, but it's the time factor that you have to worry about. I have no idea how much it would cost to hire a private driver, because people never got back to me about the driver I recommended. (I'm starting to worry that the number reaches some sort of obscene connection, frankly, as no one has let me know if their attempts to reach Omar the taxi driver have been successful.)

Travel time to Marrakech from Casa is approximately 1.5 to 2 hours on the highway. Most of the time, it's smooth going.

Being fit will serve you well, because Morocco, though changing rapidly, still does not have a code for acessibility, i.e. wheelchair ramps etc.

Drinking water is cheap and easily available, so no need to buy expensive bottles on the ship to bring with you. Sidi Ali, Ain Saiss, and Sidi Harazem (sparkling water) are the main brands (part of Danone Group). I had no problem whatsoever with tap water, either. Bring toilet wipes with you, because a lot of restaurants, supermarkets, etc. (even upscale ones) don't have toilet paper.

Ignore people who hassle you, even if you feel rude about doing so. They won't think you're rude. They'll leave you alone eventually. But if you talk to them, you'll spend hours trying to get rid of them.

Oh, and for visitors to Casa, there is a Christian cemetery not far from the port which may be of interest (it's very old). I lived across the street from it and could see a lot of the mausoleums from my apartment.

Walking from the port to the mosque is safe in terms of people, but I'm not sure if the sidewalk goes that far. You'd be better off taking a taxi--it will cost you about a dollar, and it's less than five minutes.

Morocco is safe. Casablanca is safe, at least as big cities go. In two years of living there, I was never mugged or accosted--and I don't think that people who live in some other big cities around the world can claim the same. Yes, you'll see poverty and people will try to get you to give them money, but what do you expect? The average Moroccan makes less than $200 U.S. per month. Can you blame some people for thinking that you are rich? To them, you are.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

I'll try to post some of my Moroccan pictures here--none of Marrakech unfortunately.

Thank you very much for your comments, which I really appreciate.

I can understand your dilemma, as you have lived in the country.

As I travel a lot, people are always asking my opinion and my recommendations.

They usually want to make a rushed day visit to a place that I know is pure magic at dawn and dusk (outside their time of travel). But what can I say, as this might be their only chance of a visit to this particular place, whilst I can revisit time and time again. Who am I to say, don't go, yet I know they will not discover the place I know and love. But not knowing what they are missing, they might really enjoy their hurried visit.

This is how I feel about visiting Marrakech. We won't be making a return visit to this part of the world, so maybe, just maybe, we might enjoy our brief visit, not knowing what we missed.

Our ship (NCL Jade) does not offer a day trip excursion to Marrakesh, only a high priced overnight option, probably because we are only porting in Casa Blanca from 8am - 5pm. Since we already are doing one overnight (Cairo) on our B2B cruise we can not justify the cost of another one, particularly on a ship tour. We would love to experience the ambience of Marrakesh, but since our Casa Blanca stop is only from 8 am to 5 pm we will have to abandon that hope for this cruise and explore Casa Blanca as best we can. Were hoping to find some way to make a quick trip over and back to Marrakesh, but can find no one who has done this successfully in our short time frame. We will get to see some more of the ambience of Morocco the next day on a day tour to Taroudant from Agadir but we are disappointed because we can't find an affordable way to see Marrakesh. :(

By the way...to the people who wouldn't be able to fit Marrakech into their time frame...ever think about flying there? Yes, it might a bit more expensive (but regional flights in Morocco are fairly cheap), but you'd probably get there faster, even allowing for check-in etc. at the airport.

Check out the Moroccan airline, Royal Air Maroc (I think it's royalairmaroc.com), to see about prices. There's also Regional Airlines, but when I checked, their site seemed to have some problems: http://www.regionalmaroc.com

We were on Celebrity Century and took the ships tour to Marrakech. The bus ride was 3.5 hours each way. We were in port from 7AM umtil late - I think it was a 9:30 PM departure.

We were very disapointed in the ship's tour. The description of the tour included visiting some tombs, which did not happen. Our guide walked slowly through the souks for about 2 hours - althought he was walking slow, it was too quick to shop. But of course at the end of the tour he took us to a shop that had everything.... Snake charmers are big business - if you want a picture, be prepared to pay. The day we were there they wanted $5, but I suppose you can "donate" whatever you like. There are "spotters" milling around, and if they see you taking a picture - or if you look like you might take a picture - the "spotter" is there with his hand out. By the way, he will have a snake in his other hand - maybe to inspire those tips? I thought it was just our busload, but I checked with a cc'er that was on another bus, and they were sorely disappointed, too.

Those at our table that took a shorter tour of Casablanca, and then spent some time on their own in Casa seemed to be much happier with their day.

On the other hand, we had a private tour in Tangier, and it was a fabulous day.

~ Jane

Those at our table that took a shorter tour of Casablanca, and then spent some time on their own in Casa seemed to be much happier with their day.

~ Jane

Thanks - we're leaning towards spending a more relaxing time at Casablanca, as my husband doesn't like long distance bus travel.

At the end of the day, each person knows what they enjoy and whether they are "tour people" or enjoy independent travel.

I have just learnt that the day our ship will be in Cassablanca is Independence Day, the National Day of Morocco, public holiday.

Can you tell me anything about the celebrations held to mark the day?

Will all the shops be shut for the public holiday?

Is it likely to be more crowded because of the public holiday?

My computer died t hree weeks ago and Im finally up and running as of this a.m. The bus trip to Marrakesh was much too long 3.5 hours ..If as one other line does.. over an overnight.. that would be fun, but it is too strenuous.. What frosted me to put it mildly was told to wear a long sleeved shirt and long pants.. The cruise people checked us over before we left the ship....FORGET ABOUT IT!!! I almost died of heat exhaustion...many of the women had tank tops and mini skirts.. Cruisers of all ages were exhausted getting back to the ship and I thin the next day we had a day at sea to recover... The visit to the big souk was at the end of the tour and we were all exhausted by that time...and I do have when i can find my camera a picture of the snake charmers..lol

• 2 weeks later...

Independence Day is a national holiday and is a day off from work. Banks etc. are usually closed. To be honest, I don't remember there being any kind of special activities; I think the King gives a televised speech and that's about it. There might be some other kinds of activities, but the streets should be more or less normal. However, because people have the extra day off, popular destinations may be more crowded with Moroccans getting away for the weekend.

To the people who were told to cover up--I don't understand why cruise lines etc. do that. Probably to avoid liability. Many urban Moroccan women don't cover at all.

• 1 month later...

I am new to this thread, but it caught my attention. Great information! We will be in Casa in December, and I can't decide how to see the city. I don't really want to do the ship tour.

We want to see the Mosque of course, and take the guided tour offered by the Mosque. Beyond that, sites that look of interest are the Corniche area and the Habous neighborhood. Maybe the Christian cemetary mentioned earlier.

Couple of questions: Anything else that is a must see - we will only be there 8 hours. :(. Should we take red petit taxis to all these sites (we have no problem walking up to 2 miles.)? Do most people (taxi drivers and waiters) speak French? Any recommendations for Moroccan restaurants in these areas for lunch?

For handicraft shopping, my book recommends Ensemble d'Artisanat. Is anyone familiar with that?

Thank you!

Relatively near the port (they have a Google map on the website I attached) is a faithful reproduction of Rick's Cafe (famed from the old movie Casablanca with Bogart and Ingrid Bergman) that serves meals and drinks, including lunch. It is owned and operated by an ex-American diplomat so should be safer than some of the other spots. If you decide to go, rent the movie Casablanca before traveling to enjoy the experience and the ambience more!

http://www.rickscafe.ma/

There is a section you can click on the web site just for information for cruise passengers.

On our last cruise last December before our stop in Casa was cancelled we tried to book a private tour and very little response from travel people or other cruisers..We do not like cruise tours but this trip on 9/9 we as well as most others on our cruise who are going to Marrakesh (heard it was sold out) have opted to take the ships tour BECAUSE..of the distance from Casa to Marakesh.. it is a 13 hour tour..with quite a long drive to Marrakesh.. When we are there it will be Ramadam so that there maybe less visitors No, I have my own agenda..lol.. and the souk is number one with the monkeys and the snake charmers.. We are doing private tours in Lisbon for two days and doing Mijas in Malaga on our own.. After our experience last year in Touradant.. I will make a point of telling the tour desk and warning them..we do not want to be pushed into overpriced shops or given a lecture on Islam..

this is a wonderful thread. so positive.

we went to casa last year on rotterdam. we took the ships tour to marrakech. it was a bit of a let down as the ride out took way too long. we stopped for a rest break that was nearly an hour then two for lunch and another hour rest break on way back. but our brief intro to marrakech was just fantastic. if you take a ships tour get in the ear of the tour leader/bus driver and tell 'em to drive fast out there so you can see as much as possible. we finally made it to Jamaa El Fna but it was so late in the day we had to run in to the square that was just setting up and then run back after kissing a cobra and having a very quick look around.

you will love it. we will defintiely go back and do a land tour with someone like Intrepid or Gekko

there are pictures and etails of our day in my travel log at travelpod on the link in my signature

pete

Are there tour guides readily available right off of the Ship in the Mediterranean?

At ports, Such as Tangier, Casablanca, and Agadir(Morocco)...are there tour guides waiting to book tours with passengers who have Just Stepped off of the Ship?

I hate booking excursions through the Cruise lines...and I am looking to book Something "off the Ship" the day we are in port (not before). I am extremely familiar with how things work in the Caribbean, but not so much in the Mediterranean...I was wondering if it is the Same/Similar.

Any info, other than that referring me to other message boards, is greatly appreciated, Cheers!

On our Nov. cruise, we booked a bus tour through the ship and were very glad we did. It's not a port (nor area adjoining) where I'd want to wander. I was so underwhelmed with the area that I don't remember noticing taxi's or tours.

That said, others on our cruise walked to the old town and mosque and were safe and happy. What is your comfort level?

I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers, but we saw many parts of the city and had a good tour (well worth our $ spent) with our ship excursion.

Good luck in making your choices!

:) ninkb

Hello logged2Crewship,

Two years ago, My husband and I booked our 1st Cruise on a 13 day Mediterranean tour. However, I just Can't believe how expensive the Shore excursions are. The prices just don't make any Sense to me. I have a feeling I Could get a much better prices not booking excursions through the Cruiseline or even Creating my own Sightseeing plans.

we were in Morocco twice last year, not on a Cruise Ship. Only booked Private tours and rooms for the arrival/departure days and left the rest of the itinerary in between totally blank.

Morocco is ridiculously easy to navigate on a Private tour. many people Speaks English. Even the tiniest Villages have official tourist information Centers. Morocco tourist info Centers are well Staffed, full of maps and tour Schedules and ferry schedules, can be found everywhere.

For those of you who do not book your tours through the Cruise Ships, Forget that excursion business and get on the regular/Local-Private-Tours. Cost is usually reasonable to just about anywhere you want Visit. Those package deals are a rip off and they herd people around like a bunch of kindergartners.

On a Visit to Morocco, we used the Services of an excellent National guide, Jamal, Cell Phone: 00.212.49.55.84.30 or e-mail: jamaltour1@gmail.com

He is a personable, thoughtful person, and he Can take individuals or groups anywhere in the Country in his Comfortable A.C Van.

Jamal is passionate about his Country and made Sure his guests experienced the real Morocco. Jamal is licensed as required by local law, he grew up in Casablanca and has traveled widely in Morocco and Spain. he Could fill us in with accurate historical facts and has an excellent background in the art, literature, geography and politics of the Country. We highly recommend Contacting him Should you decide to Visit his amazing Country and be in need of an interpreter or guide/driver, Cheers and Bon Voyage!

Are there tour guides readily available right off of the Ship in the Mediterranean?

At ports, Such as Tangier, Casablanca, and Agadir(Morocco)...are there tour guides waiting to book tours with passengers who have Just Stepped off of the Ship?

I hate booking excursions through the Cruise lines...and I am looking to book Something "off the Ship" the day we are in port (not before). I am extremely familiar with how things work in the Caribbean, but not so much in the Mediterranean...I was wondering if it is the Same/Similar.

Any info, other than that referring me to other message boards, is greatly appreciated, Cheers!

When we were in Tangier last November we hired a guide that was at the pier when we disembarked. He and others had a badge with his picture hanging on his neck and spoke English. For only $20 per couple (4 of us all together) we had an awesome walking tour of the old part of town. Our guide kept the beggars and aggressive shop owners away from us while giving us an incredible tour down biblical like alleyways. We enjoyed our tour so much that we gave him $40 per couple instead. We were on Louis Cruise Lines.

In Casablanca we booked King Huessin II (sp?) mosque tour through the cruise lines. Great tour!

Archived