"Must sees" in Osaka?

SDHALFAN

We will be in Osaka October 3rd and 4th of this year, aboard HAL's ms Amsterdam. I have booked an all-day ship's tour to Kyoto for one of those days but decided that I wanted to see as much of Osaka as I can on the other day in port. Does anyone have any recommendations for "must sees"?

Thank you in advance for any recommendations.

Valerie:)

I honestly can't believe that there is nothing worth seeing in Osaka. Either that or noone has been there lately. I guess that I will just spend the day aboard ship and do my laundry - oh frabjous day: I can hardly wait;) :D .

I honestly can't believe that there is nothing worth seeing in Osaka. Either that or noone has been there lately. I guess that I will just spend the day aboard ship and do my laundry - oh frabjous day: I can hardly wait;) :D .

A must-see is Osaka Castle. There is more to see in Kyoto. Kanichiwa

Osaka is a very commercial/business-oriented city (the standard greeting being not "Hello" or "How are you?", but "Are you making money?" ("Mo kari masuka?")

Osaka Castle is worth seeing if you have an interest in Japanese history, but if I were in your (quite enviable) position, I would do Kyoto to some extent the first day and then take the train to Osaka in the afternoon to see the castle and have dinner in the Dotonbori district, which runs along the canal and is famous for it's nightlife/theatres/resturants. There is also a huge shopping arcade next to the district with many shops and more restaurants.

The second day, I would go back to Kyoto. There is just so much to see and do there.

Whatever you decide, I hope your cruise will be wonderful.

Kate

Himeji Castle, which is between Osaka and Kyoto is much better than Osaka castle (which is extensively rebuilt). Easy to get to on the train. At the same stop in Himeji is also the temple where they filmed a lot of the scenes in "The Last Samurai".

I agree that Dotonburi in the evening is probably the best Osaka has on offer; another alternative if you are interested is seeing if you can get tickets to a Japanese baseball game, I think Osaka has 2 teams (or maybe 3?).

Thank you all so much for your help, it will make my visit even more enjoyable. I am so looking forward to going to Kyoto and probably will indeed go back there on the second day.

I'm sorry to say that I am not a baseball fan (can you spell Padres:rolleyes: :D ), much preferring contact sports like football and ice hockey - guess I really have a bloodthirsty side to me!

Valerie:D

Osaka is known as the gourmet capital of Japan. Don't miss having dinner there. Osaka sushi is quite different from what we in US encounter which is Tokyo style. Besides, there are more to Japanese cuisine than sushi, and Osaka is the place for it.

I searched in TripAdvisor -- Japan Forum and Kyoto Forum. It appears that the Cormorant Fishing is now offered closer to Kyoto. But a long time ago we did it from Osaka. At that time, we were the only non-Japanese tourist in a boat of 30 persons!

It's a good one. Is there one close to Osaka?

I searched in TripAdvisor -- Japan Forum and Kyoto Forum. It appears that the Cormorant Fishing is now offered closer to Kyoto. But a long time ago we did it from Osaka. At that time, we were the only non-Japanese tourist in a boat of 30 persons!

I also believe it is only offered in summer (mid-June through August).

Archived