Alaska Sled Dog Ride

tradogna

We did 2 dog sled rides during the summer but not in Skagway. If there's snow, they run in the snow. If there's not, the sled is fitted with wheels and they run on dry ground. Both of ours were wheeled sleds and it was still a blast!

Hi Tradogna,

We will be going to Alaska June 5th and are planning to do the dog sledding/glacier excursion in Skagway. From what I've read on the message boards, there should definitely be snow in May and June. I know that some excursions later in the summer (August/September) were cancelled because there wasn't enough snow. Can't help with what to wear, since I also need to know that info, but my guess is that gloves, a cap, sturdy shoes, and a warm jacket would be a must.

Yes, it's definitely expensive, but from everything I've heard it's also worth every penny. I'm hoping to book with Temesco because I've heard they're a very good company and their prices are less than booking with the cruise lines. I believe they'll have their 2005 rates and schedule up sometime next month.

Hope this helps. Have a wonderful vacation.

Laurie

We took the wheeled sled dog ride last August in Skagway (think you can find info at http://www.skagwayadventures.com). The folks that ran the dog camp and rides were fantastic and quite informative. It was about a 20 minute van ride from the ship to the dog camp (they met us at the pier). We took the 8 am tour, and we were lucky and were the only ones on the tour. As it was a foggy day, the helicopter dog sled tours were cancelled, and many of those people tried for the wheeled sled dogs. The ride really was fun. They let us spend a bit of time at the dog "camp" and answered questions. We all enjoyed the tour; had 16 and 12 yr. olds with us, and it was my daughter's favorite excursion. Let me know if you have any questions. Am sure the glacier dog sled rides are nice, but this was a more reasonably priced option for the 4 of us.

NO there is NO snow on the ground with the wheeled sled dog ride out of Skagway in May- and you are also too early for the glacier helicopter dog sledding- the camps set up about mid May. For the bargain of cart rides- go for $5pp out at the Wassilla Sled dog Museum. :)

NO there is NO snow on the ground with the wheeled sled dog ride out of Skagway in May- and you are also too early for the glacier helicopter dog sledding- the camps set up about mid May. For the bargain of cart rides- go for $5pp out at the Wassilla Sled dog Museum. :)

When I said I thought for sure there'd be snow in May/June, I was referring to up on the glacier (I finally bought an Alaska guidebook today, so forgive my ignorance re geography -- it was never my strong suit in school :o ). Although I know it is horribly expensive (and I still am not sure how I'm going to pay for it), it is the one "big" thing we want to do, so I am hoping that they will be offering the glacier dog sled trip in early June. Do they? If not, we definitely will do a dog sledding trip somewhere, somehow -- whatever is available that week. Thanks!

Laurie

Thanks Everyone for your answers on the Dog Sled Ride. Does anyone know how I can find the wassilla museum dog sled rides,that price sure sounds good.We were goning to have to pay $99.00 a person, there are 9 of us. I sure like to get a lower price. Thank so much. Teresa

Archived