Do Jeans = smart casual

poiu0987

By no means am I trying to get out of "dressing up" for dinner but I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual". The reason I ask is because 1. a nice pair of jeans with a fancy shirt can look just as good as a pair of slacks and 2. on our last cruise (to Alaska in 05 on Westerdam) I noticed may people wear jeans is the dining room. I did not because I was traveling with my very traditional grandmother. What is everyone's opinion on this?

Wrangler has a line of trousers they call Dress Jeans (or somesuch). They are NOT denim, and are every bit as dressy as Dockers.

I've worn them on ships with "Country Club Casual" dress codes, which I consider to be the same as "Smart Casual".

HAL allows jeans in the main DR. Does this make them smart casual? Only you can decide if the jeans you wear are smart casual. There are some pretty fancy jeans out there.

As long as they are allowed and you are comfortable with them I don 't see any problem with wearing them.

BTW, welcome to the HAL boards.

By no means am I trying to get out of "dressing up" for dinner but I was courious if Jeans are considered "smart casual".
There are really two different questions here....

1. Are jeans considered smart casual? Answer: No.

2. Are jeans worn on smart casual evenings? Answer: In my experience on a recent 12 day cruise in Europe, yes. I'm guessing you'll be fine. We don't own jeans, so we didn't wear them. But we also weren't scandalized by those who did.

Wrangler has a line of trousers they call Dress Jeans (or somesuch). They are NOT denim, and are every bit as dressy as Dockers.

I've worn them on ships with "Country Club Casual" dress codes, which I consider to be the same as "Smart Casual".

Are not jeans by definition denim? I personally would not consider jeans smart casual in the dining room context (i.e., I would not wear them, but really don't care if others do). And remember, jeans are likely the heaviest pants to pack. On a smart casual evening after dinner, I have no qualms about changing into a smart pair of jeans, particularly if I am going to the disco.

There are really two different questions here....

1. Are jeans considered smart casual? Answer: No.

2. Are jeans worn on smart casual evenings? Answer: In my experience on a recent 12 day cruise in Europe, yes. I'm guessing you'll be fine. We don't own jeans, so we didn't wear them. But we also weren't scandalized by those who did.[/quote]

To the original poster.....

There you have it. At least two people who post here with regularity and don't even own a pair of jeans have dicated that they are NOT smart casual. :rolleyes: Fortunately Crusing Ham wasn't offended by those that do.

The Holland America website states:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Merriam Webster states:

trousers especially for casual wear —usually used in plural

I would personally interpret that to mean that, yes indeed jeans can be deemed smart casual. As to myself, I won't hesitate to wear jeans when we cruise on Holland America again, but I may leave the bib overalls for the farm.

There you have it. At least two people who post here with regularity and don't even own a pair of jeans have dicated that they are NOT smart casual. :rolleyes: Fortunately Crusing Ham wasn't offended by those that do.

:D :D :D Funny thing is that my original answer to the "are jeans smart casual?" question was "Technically, no". I should have kept the word "technically", because I don't see jeans as "slacks", but whatever.

OK, let me be blunt.....my wife and I don't own jeans because we really don't look good in them. Don't know why, we just don't. But we also don't mind if people wear them on smart casual evenings. The last thing I was going to worry about on our cruise was how other people were dressed.

JMO -- jeans are not smart casual -- they belong on the farm.

We don't even own any jeans.

Farm wear only???

HAL allows jeans and black jeans from Brooks Brothers look a lot different than worn and torn blue jeans.

Has anyone priced jeans lately?

I think it's an age thing. In todays world jeans can be VERY fashionable, and certainly fit within the current generation's definition of "smart casual" IMHO. In our culture "smart casual" is partly defined by the "beautiful people" and celebs . . . jeans not only can be expensive, but very fashionable and smart. Work jeans, filled with holes jeans, farmer jeans . . . different story. Just like the same shirt can be formal, smart casual, or grungy, depending on how it is worn . . . same with jeans.

Regards, Richard

The price of some jeans should not be a factor as to whether or not they are considered smart casual. Some workout clothes and beachwear can also be expensive, but NOT smart casual for the DR. It all goes back to Hal and that they ALLOW jeans in their dress code for the DR. They need to raise their standards and say"NO JEANS". Certainly the masses could find some other fabric of pants to wear. But, the biggest problem with Hal is THEY DO NOT ENFORCE A DRESS CODE OF ANY KIND, MUCH LESS JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it's an age thing. In todays world jeans can be VERY fashionable, and certainly fit within the current generation's definition of "smart casual" IMHO. In our culture "smart casual" is partly defined by the "beautiful people" and celebs . . . jeans not only can be expensive, but very fashionable and smart. Work jeans, filled with holes jeans, farmer jeans . . . different story. Just like the same shirt can be formal, smart casual, or grungy, depending on how it is worn . . . same with jeans.

Regards, Richard

Lots of things are fashionable.

Nose rings and body piercings are fashionable. :D

Jeans with holes in them are fashionable and can be very expensive. :D

I think wearing jeans does depend on what is worn with them for smart casual. Dark jeans seem to be an accepted version to wear. When I wear jeans when dining on a cruise on a night when it is country club casual/smart casual I also wear a simple stylish top and a leather short suit cut jacket. This is my first HAL cruise and we opted for AYW dining so it will be interesting to see whether I feel uncomfortable. If I do, I will adjust my wear and leave the jeans for other acivities. I'm still trying to find out if the country club casual Jamaica shorts style that goes to or below the knees is ok (not to be mistaken as shorts.)

Unless someone is tacky enough to leave the price tag hanging off their posterior, I don't know how much their jeans cost - nor do I care.

Are you suggesting that our attire needs to reach a certain $ amount to be allowed in the dining room? Will we need to show receipts???? ;)

I wear denim to the dining room during breakfast and lunch, but not for dinner. IMO jeans not not equal smart casual. :eek:

I'd take jeans in the dining room over Crocs any day - what a ghastly invention. Given most of the crap that passengers seem to dig out of the wardrobes I'd say that you'd get away with jeans and a smart shirt. Even though I never wear jeans in the dining room, I'm pretty much over being told what to wear and when to wear it, as long as there are no shorts, singlets or crocs I'm happy :)

The Holland America website states:

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

Merriam Webster states:

trousers especially for casual wear —usually used in plural

I would personally interpret that to mean that, yes indeed jeans can be deemed smart casual.

I would interpret it slightly differently: i.e., while jeans are allowed on nights identified as "Smart Casual" (up until about 2006 they were expressly forbidden by the dress code), they are not "Smart Casual" attire anymore than "slacks, jacket, and tie" are "Formal Wear." Yes, slacks, jacket, and tie meet the minimal Dress Code for "Formal Night," but they are not "Formal" clothing. Likewise, jeans are not forbidden and, therefore, are allowed on Smart Casual Nights. However, they are not "Smart Casual" clothing.

That being said, Wikipedia does make an allowance for jeans in their definition of "Smart Casual," while at the same time recognizing that it is a nebulous, mostly undefined term that is most usually just considered a synonym for "business casual." Since, in general, HAL's "Smart Casual Night" code suggestions are parallel to the "business casual" standard, a comparison with Wikipedia's definition of "Business Casual" might be in order. Of particular interest in their definition is the following:

For men, a combination of collared shirt (such as a tennis shirt or dress shirt), cotton trousers (such as khakis) with a belt, and shoes (such as loafers) with socks is generally acceptable

Neckties or cufflinks are generally not consistent with business casual dress.

The acceptability of shorts and jeans is not universal, but men can often wear jeans if paired with a sportcoat.

That last bit is what Brian did on the Noordam in 2006 ... on Smart Casual evening he paired them with a sportcoat.

I'd take jeans in the dining room over Crocs any day - what a ghastly invention. Given most of the crap that passengers seem to dig out of the wardrobes I'd say that you'd get away with jeans and a smart shirt. Even though I never wear jeans in the dining room, I'm pretty much over being told what to wear and when to wear it, as long as there are no shorts, singlets or crocs I'm happy :)

What about high heeled crocs? They would be stunning. Maybe put some beading on them and we have Croc Nirvana. lol

Archived