What to do in Progreso?

Cotton

Can y'all share your experiences at Progreso? Planning another cruise, and I don't think I've ever been there. I know Chichen Itza is there, but I've seen enough ruins. What else to do? Thx!:)

After the buses take you to the market in town(The pier is 5 miles long) take the tour of the town in the double decker bus. It costs 2.00 a person and it's pretty neat. They bring you right back to the market. Then we walked down by the beach and found a wonderful restuarant that had a fresh water swimming pool in the middle of it(only one in town that has that). We swam a little in the ocean. The restuarant would serve us drinks at the beach and then walked backed across the street, ate a wondeful lunch and swam in the pool. It was to die for. The only down side about Progreso is the vendors seem to be never ending on the beach. I really like Progreso.

After the buses take you to the market in town(The pier is 5 miles long) take the tour of the town in the double decker bus. It costs 2.00 a person and it's pretty neat. They bring you right back to the market. Then we walked down by the beach and found a wonderful restuarant that had a fresh water swimming pool in the middle of it(only one in town that has that). We swam a little in the ocean. The restuarant would serve us drinks at the beach and then walked backed across the street, ate a wondeful lunch and swam in the pool. It was to die for. The only down side about Progreso is the vendors seem to be never ending on the beach. I really like Progreso.

Agree 100% we did the same thing and had a great time.:)

That sounds wonderful.. I think I am committed to the Reef club but next time I will try this.. Do you recall the name of the restuarant?

i heard progresso makes good soup

Actually, Progresso soups are too salty for me.:p

I'm just glad to not have a stop at Calica again. Surely Progreso has more to offer than that? The bus ride sounds pretty good.

I know you said you've seen enough ruins but Chitzen Itza is a must. It was recently ranked as one of the new seven wonders of the world. It is beyond the "other" ruins. DOnt count it out as just another set of ruins. After all the beach is just another beach and a market is just another market. Same blankets, vanilla, pottory, but as an archeoligical site goes, you have amazing access to the site. To much access in my opinion for an archeological site.

I know you said you've seen enough ruins but Chitzen Itza is a must. It was recently ranked as one of the new seven wonders of the world. .

On second thought, I believe I will go to Chichen Itza after all. You're right - other things there will be normal, this ruin site will be something to remember. THX.:)

Also consider Uxmal. It is not as crowded as Chichen Itza.

uxmal4.jpg

uxmal5.jpg

For me, I take the local bus to Merida. Beautiful city. You can then take a open air tour bus there from the Plaza Grande. Go to http://www.yucatantoday.com Click on "destinations" at the top of the page.

I found the area around Calica has a lot more to offer than Progreso. Tulum, Xcarat, Playa del Carmen are all great places to go to.

uxmal4.jpg

uxmal5.jpg

For me, I take the local bus to Merida. Beautiful city. You can then take a open air tour bus there from the Plaza Grande. Go to www.yucatantoday.com Click on "destinations" at the top of the page.

I found the area around Calica has a lot more to offer than Progreso. Tulum, Xcarat, Playa del Carmen are all great places to go to.

that is what we did...it is amazing!!!!

So many different buildings and so many intricate stone carvings, way more than any other site.

It was worth the trip.

There are tons of pictures in the "Fantasy Fugitives" link in my signature.

:D

Definitely Uxmal. What a wonderful place. Not crowded, beautiful pyramids and ruins. It was one of our favorite excursions. Do check out the Progreso/Merida port of call forum. There is tons of information about all the different things you can do in Progreso. We have been there 4 times and love it. :D

Click on the links for pictures

Chitchen Itza is larger, but I prefered Uxmal.

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Caves and Caverns Tour

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Just hanging out in Progreso (bus tour, Le Saint Bonnet, street vendor)

Progreso Dec 07

I really liked the crepes that could be had with cheese or chocolate for a buck each from street vendors.

Last time I was in Progresso we took the shuttle off the pier and walked to the main bus station and caught a local bus to the city of Merida. Round trip was quite cheep, like 2 or 3 dollars for a round trip. Once in Merida we spent the day walking around and just shopping soaking up the culture.

Upon getting back to Progresso we hit the beach and went to San Marino restaurant. You can sit on the beach and food/drink runners will bring what ever you order from the main restaurant. Personally, I think these guys have the best coconut shrimp in the world! Also, their ceviche selection is quite good.

In fact I'll be back in Progresso in just a few weeks and plan on doing just this!:p

Beautiful pics!!!

Do you think there's time to take bus to Merida and come back for a couple hours on beach?

How far down the beach to Saint Bonnet? Any other places to chill and drink and eat?

Best place to shop? Snoozman should be able to answer that-I know his wife loves the shopping there.

Beautiful pics!!!

Do you think there's time to take bus to Merida and come back for a couple hours on beach?

How far down the beach to Saint Bonnet? Any other places to chill and drink and eat?

Best place to shop? Snoozman should be able to answer that-I know his wife loves the shopping there.

If you get off the ship as soon as you can. The buses leave the bus station every 15 minutes. It takes about 45 minutes for the bus to get to Merida. That would put you in Merida roughly around 8:30-9am. That will get you about 3 hours to walk around the Plaza Grande and the surrounding blocks.

Take the 12pm bus back. That will give you from 1pm-3pm at the beach. You have to be back on the ship at 3:30pm. Le Saint Bonnet is located across the street from the beach. You can print a coupon out on their website for a free margarita.

As far as shopping.....Cozumel. If you are wanting the usual tourist trinkets and shirts at the pickup point to go back to the ship will be about 40-50 vendors in the square.

Dave

Progreso offers more options than most ports on the western. Two major ruins and some minor. Uxmal my favorite. More impressive, prettier and way less crowded. A large beach with very good restaurants. Merida is both a modern and an old, large spanish colonial city of one million. Bldgs dating back to the mid 1400's. Capitol city of the Yucatan state and home to four universitys.

After two portcalls sailing Celebrity, I've been back to Merida, Progreso and the Yucatan state for three two week vacations.

Checkout http://www.yucatantoday.com, probably the best visitor's guide I've seen for any destination.

that is what we did...it is amazing!!!!

So many different buildings and so many intricate stone carvings, way more than any other site.

It was worth the trip.

There are tons of pictures in the "Fantasy Fugitives" link in my signature.

:D

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26303648?pg=10#Tech_WeirdScience_AncientObservatories

On msn today!!

Click on the links for pictures

Chitchen Itza is larger, but I prefered Uxmal.

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Caves and Caverns Tour

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Just hanging out in Progreso (bus tour, Le Saint Bonnet, street vendor)

Progreso Dec 07

I really liked the crepes that could be had with cheese or chocolate for a buck each from street vendors.

THANKS for posting these pictures. I really enjoyed looking at them. We are going to Progreso in about 3 weeks. I can't wait!!:)

On second thought, I believe I will go to Chichen Itza after all. You're right - other things there will be normal, this ruin site will be something to remember. THX.:)

My DH and I went to Chichen Itza last year. We loved it. You won't regret it!!!:)

uxmal4.jpg

uxmal5.jpg

For me, I take the local bus to Merida. Beautiful city. You can then take a open air tour bus there from the Plaza Grande. Go to www.yucatantoday.com Click on "destinations" at the top of the page.

I know Uxmal is closer than Chichen Itza. How long did it take you to get there. We are planning to rent a car and go on our own. Thanks for any help.:)

Archived