What to do in Progreso?

Cotton

• 2 weeks later...
Can y'all share your experiences at Progreso? Planning another cruise, and I don't think I've ever been there. I know Chichen Itza is there, but I've seen enough ruins. What else to do? Thx!:)

:) We just got back from Progresso this week. We were there on the 1st (Monday) and had a fun time. If you want to experience real Mexico this is what to do. we took the local bus to Merida, about a 45 min ride, to Merida. The locals were nice and I was able to speak with a student about the area. He was very responsive to my questions. In Merida we took the Turibus for $10 each and took a tour of the city. Turibus is a double decker open top bus. Be sure to watch for low hanging trees and duck! They had a problem of some sort and only one bus was working so we did not get on and off, but if all buses are operating they run about 30min apart. And you can get on and off. The ride was well worth the money and lasted about an hour and a half. We saw parks, schools, churches, and many statues.

As far as shopping, because the ships coming are still so new to them they are not really prepared for us to shop. Luckly we came accross another couple from the ship and she had some pesos from a recent trip and helped us with getting a drink. A bottle of water and a sprite cost $1.50. Have small bills with you in Merida as it will be eaiser that way. In Progresso it was not as difficult to make a purchase.

Have fun and it is very safe getting around. Keep an open mind and remember you are experiencing real Mexico.

YucatanToday-

We want to go to Chelum, we know of a couple opening a bar in the near future. How do you get there where we get off ship? How much is taxi or otherwisw? Is there anything to do or see there? We just want to check it for ahile and then come back to beach in Progreso for a few hours. Can we do both?

Your best bet would be to take a taxi from the Casa de Cultura to Chelem. It is a small fishing village with a few restaurants, beach homes, and not much else! Or, you can walk south from the Casa de Cultura to the San Francisco supermarket and take a bus to Chelem from there.

• 1 month later...

We are traveling with a group of 11. The youngest, my daughter, is 6. The oldest, my father-in-law, is 60-something. We are not drinkers. My mother-in-law can't do an enormous amount of walking. What would be a good shore excursion for us? Of course, the 6 year old wants to hit the beach. lol We're looking for something rather inexpensive as my dh and I will probably be paying for at least 5 of us in the group. Oh, we'll be there the week of Dec. 8th... I'm anxious to see how Mexico celebrates Christmas.

My favorite part of Progreso were the rat traps every 15 feet down the 4 mile garbage dump of a pier.

You should try New York City where some of the rats are the size of small dogs (no offense meant to New Yorkers lol) :)

Agrip, .......IMO.....you need to get______(your name here) :)

Here's my point. Everyone says it's the REAL MEXICO. Look I go on vacatoin to get away from REAL LIFE. I want beautiful beaches and stupid trinket shops. I want MArgaritaville. I want all that. IF I wanted real life I would stay home and work. That is real life.

The bus to Merida takes about 45 min and costs $3.00 RT. Runs about every 15 min. The Walmart is out on Paseo Montejo. Prettier exterior than most in the US. Has underground parking and the shopping carts lock when you get on the escalator with your cart.

To walk to Walmart is too time consuming considering your limited time. Probably 3 to 4 bucks by taxi. Paseo Montejo is an upscale broad blvd.

We just got back from Progresso. We did the Merida City Tour, Shopping, Mexican Buffet and Horse Show excursion from CCL's Fantasy. I recommend it highly for those not wanting the same ole thing. They even let the little kids ride the horses after the horse show. The buffet was "all you can eat" and you got two drink coupons for beer, frozen margaritas or water. The frozen margaritas were good. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello!

I try to post about the Reef Resort whenever I can! I've attached pictures.

1- the 4 mile pier, yes it's long but it's interesting to hear the story behind it!

2- the beach, this is right on the Reef's property. I think its very nice there!

3 & 4 are both the Reef Resort, it's all inclusive.

We went there via AutoProgreso tours. The guide took credit cards and I think it was $45 per person?? Great deal, all inclusive & beautiful!!

DSCN0702.jpg.5315365522c5cd6f1a5762726f138690.jpg

DSCN0743.jpg.d31cc7dbb5cb50fc7386335676441111.jpg

DSCN0738.jpg.e41209a311dbbe4417db5528d83866ac.jpg

DSCN0744.jpg.265afe067da96c5c53c31ee4b5bfb2cd.jpg

On our second trip to Progreso we toured the Benito Juarez Elementary School. I met a woman online that has retired in that community to help the women, children and elderly. She is a true living saint! She met us at the shopping square and guided us through public transportation. We took school supplies and visited each classroom. Because they knew we were coming they prepared a small reception and the students prepared drawings and essays. It was a truly blessed day and very enlightening to see the "real" progreso. It was better than shopping, massages or ruins. If anyone is interested, I can pass of the woman's email address.

Click on the links for pictures

Chitchen Itza is larger, but I prefered Uxmal.

Uxmal/Progreso Sept 2004

Caves and Caverns Tour

Caves and Caverns Tour Sept07

Just hanging out in Progreso (bus tour, Le Saint Bonnet, street vendor)

Progreso Dec 07

I really liked the crepes that could be had with cheese or chocolate for a buck each from street vendors.

Those are some amazing pictures! I'm in the market for a new camera for my upcoming cruise. What were you using???

I just got back from Carnival Fantasy that stopped in Progreso. Not my favorite port but it's nice. My friend and I got massages on the beach for $15 for about 45 mins and it was so worth getting off the ship. It was great! I wish I could get a massage on the beach everyday!

Archived