Handicap Room Vs Regular Room

ksuds

I have sailed many times with a HC cabin, with different cruise lines. They all ask for proof, usually a photo copy of the automobile mirror hanger tag, at the time of final payment.

Strangely enough, my mom has never been asked to provide proof. I know since I have helped her book all of her cruises so far (4 completed plus 2 booked). I don't know if someone at RC messed up the first time and forgot to ask and now it's linked to her C&A number so they don't ask. She is in a wheelchair and does not walk so she does legitimately need the HC cabins. She usually makes her bookings at least a year out. We've had to change dates a couple of times due to handicapped cabins being unavailable but not too often.

Indeed this is a real problem as only those of us who must have a HC cabin to be able to cruise, can atest to. That said, my belief is that the basis of the problem lies with the cruiseline. Yes, there are a few people who will unscrupulously find a way to book a HC cabin, but the majority of people will not do this. I have to believe this otherwise I would be a very bitter person. We have tried for 2yrs to book an Alaskan cruise but there are never any available HC cabins. We finally gave up. My feeling is that RCCL should be more diligent in requiring proof before booking these cabins. In all the years we have cruised (all of our cruises being on RCCL) I have only had one instance where they actually asked to see proof. When we book and I request the HC cabin they do not ask any questions. But, because this is totally out of my hands, I try not to get too upset. My hubby uses a scooter for mobility and we always have a wonderful time when we cruise so I don't obsess over things I cannot control. If RCCL gave you the cabin, then you should not let it spoil your trip worrying about someone being "left behind" because they needed a HC cabin. You have no control over this. Happy cruising......enjoy yourself.

I have sailed many times with a HC cabin, with different cruise lines. They all ask for proof, usually a photo copy of the automobile mirror hanger tag, at the time of final payment.

Al :D

My husband was disabled and we cruised over 20 times in handicap cabins. Princess asked for a doctor's note at the time of resevrvation and Carnival asked us to fill out a form. RCCL, Celebrity and NCL did not ask for proof at all.

I'm surprised to hear they don't ask for proof' date=' and if that allows people to abuse the system, that stinks. However, I'm still curious how the folks on the disabled cruisers board know for sure that the system in being abused. Do you meet people who boast about booking an accessible cabin they don't need? Have you staked out accessible cabins and waited to see if a person in a wheelchair comes out? If someone not in a wheelchair comes out do you confront them? I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm just baffled that there isn't a system in place to make sure they cabins only go to folks who need them.[/quote']

Able bodied people have boasted on these boards about their being able to book HC cabins, sometimes over a year prior to sailing. And, often if someone replies negatively, they often respond that they would move them if a disabled person needed the cabin. However, this generally does not happen. Once a cabin is removed from inventory, it is gone. Carnival used to be willing to contact people in HC cabins to see if they need them and move them if an disabled person needed a cabin, but they were the only cruise line willing to do so.

HC cabins can only be released by the special needs dept.

when you or your TA are on the phone with RCI, they will either get the HC cabin released to the agent at the call center or transfer you to special needs.

if you get transferred to special needs they will usually email or mail you a form to fill out requesting measurements of your wheelchair or scooter,

or fill in what other reason you need the cabin, ie. mobility issues, seat in shower, grab bars, call buttons, etc.

this is to help them know in case of an emergency on board.

they are not allowed to ask you the nature of your disabilty.

now, on the other hand, if special needs is busy, and the cabin is released to the person in the call center at RCI, they usually do not know about the forms RCI wants to be filled out, and they will just assign you the cabin.

so it all depends on who answers the phone....:cool:

i have been told they do not flag your C&A # with the info, sometimes you have to fill out a form every cruise...sometimes you go a few cruises without the need

so copy a filled out form and send that!

also you can't get a HC cabin while booking onboard with the loyalty ambassador, they will assign you a regular cabin and when you get home you have to call special needs.:cool:

Archived