What to wear for dinner.

Gregg_n_Kyle

Hi Gregg, yes a suit on formal nights will be fine. Depending on what cruiseline you are sailing, some do request a jacket for informal nights as well.

A collared shirt will be fine for casual evenings.

And depending on the cruiseline a tie might be requested on informal nights. Just check your cruiseline's guidelines.

Different ships have different atmospheres. Some have 98% of men wearing a tuexedo on formal nights others have a higher percentage of dark suites. Some people wear polo shirts for casual nights, yet on some ships many passengers will wear a jacket (maybe even a tie) on casual nights, too.

Gregg,

On the Enchantment of the Seas, you will be able to get away with slacks and a nice shirt on the "smart casual" night, but you will see a fair amount of sport jackets and some ties mixed in. The line actually recommends a sport coat and tie for informal night, but RCCL passengers aren't always the strictest ones at following the rules. Casual nights you'll have no problem with virtually any combination of slacks or docker-style pants, and either a polo-type or button-down shirt. You could wear a t-shirt, but they wouldn't like it!

Formal nights on RCCL are definately suit material, with the occasional tuxedos thrown in for those who like to dress up more. A dark suit would be recommended.

On some ships, formal night extends throughout the entire evening, but on RCCL many men ditch their jackets after dinner for the shows and lounges...often leaving at least the slacks and shirt on and sometimes tie. Many ladies run back to get out of their formal gowns as I suppose they are not convenient for walking all over the ship.

Don't worry about not being admitted if you don't wear a sport coat on informal night...but just know that many will.

If you are on second seating, you can always take a look at the first seating people heading in before going to change, to gauge what the crowd is actually wearing.

Have fun.

Greg - enjoy your cruise!

I remember ages ago when 80% of the gents wore a tux for formal nights. Today that number is inverted to read 80% wear a dark suit, 20% tux. And I have no clue why this has happened to the fashion industry re: cruising.

Janet

I think the change with respect to cruise ship fashion parallels that for more general society fashion.

d0287m5.jpg

versus

001737.jpg

Well stated but those of the more general fashion codes may never know that rush that engulf's a man or woman when they walk out of their cabin in tux and evening gown after decades of marriage. It's a rush DH and I plan to revisit cruise after cruise. Just our own feelings about formal night, but it's ours and we enjoy it long after the cruise ship docks back at home port.

I understand what you're saying, but, for me, at least, it cannot top the "rush", after a decade of marriage, of reaching the summit of Mt. Monadanock and Mt. Pemigawasset with my 50-year-young wife -- the point being that different people derive pleasure from different things.

Gregg: back to your original question. You'll be fine with you what you plan and enjoy the adventure before you. I just happen to still get a thrill in seeing Dh in a tux after 37 years of marriage. On the other hand, I still get a thrill seeing other things, like Dh waking up in the morning; me still breathing to see him wake up; DH coming home after work and me still able able to remember he left for work in the morning.

Life is good - as long as we're both booking the next cruise - together. :)

Archived