HMC question

medfordgirl

can you recommend a particularly nice place to "plant myself";)

The closer to the tender dock, the busier it likely will be and closer to the kids water activity area. Most all clamshells are relatively close to the food area and washroom facilities. If you are the only ship in that day there will be lots of room and even with 2 ships it is quite comfortable but the further you go from the tender dock the less populated it will likely be.

We go about halfway but usually have a few grandkids with us.

HMC is really a slice of heaven and there isn't really a bad spot.

Well, I just checked the calendar for HMC for december 6 and there will be one other ship in port. So it will be the westerdam and the noordam. Do you think we will feel the crowd? I will go about half way like you say. No small children so don't need to be near the kids place. Thanks for the tip.

Well, I just checked the calendar for HMC for december 6 and there will be one other ship in port. So it will be the westerdam and the noordam. Do you think we will feel the crowd? I will go about half way like you say. No small children so don't need to be near the kids place. Thanks for the tip.

Two Vista ships at HMC is definitely overcrowded. IMO that island was made for one ship.

Two Vista ships at HMC is definitely overcrowded. IMO that island was made for one ship.

Then I guess I will go a little further than half way;)

another question. When I was at cococay we had terrible jelly fish. They kept stinging. Has this ever happened at HMC?

With two Vista-class ships, it will be pretty crowded. I'd go at least half-way down. We were in the turquoise cabana and there really weren't that many people around us...so go a few more down, and you should be good.

Then I guess I will go a little further than half way;)

another question. When I was at cococay we had terrible jelly fish. They kept stinging. Has this ever happened at HMC?

What time of year were you in CC?

We always do the Caribbean in the winter...Dec-Feb and we've never had a problem with jellyfish anywhere we've been.

With two Vista-class ships, it will be pretty crowded. I'd go at least half-way down. We were in the turquoise cabana and there really weren't that many people around us...so go a few more down, and you should be good.

Thank you, I will

What time of year were you in CC?

We always do the Caribbean in the winter...Dec-Feb and we've never had a problem with jellyfish anywhere we've been.

I think the last time I was at cococay was in the month of September. So Hopefully the first week of December should be ok. That's a relief.

I think the last time I was at cococay was in the month of September. So Hopefully the first week of December should be ok. That's a relief.

I remember reading posts where people were having problems with these teeny-tiny jellyfish and I freaked! But we've never had a problem any where with any types of jellyfish, and we've been all over the Caribbean in Dec, Jan and early Feb. :)

Many years ago, I remember being at Padre Island and there were 1000's of jellyfish on the beach. OMG, I am surprised I ever got in the water after that sight! lol

I remember reading posts where people were having problems with these teeny-tiny jellyfish and I freaked! But we've never had a problem any where with any types of jellyfish, and we've been all over the Caribbean in Dec, Jan and early Feb. :)

Many years ago, I remember being at Padre Island and there were 1000's of jellyfish on the beach. OMG, I am surprised I ever got in the water after that sight! lol

I couldn't take it for very long, my son could. So I just waited on the lounge chair until he was ready to leave. I have never been to HMC, is it like CCC? I mean in CCC where we were in the water is almost like a pool. It is like "U" shaped so if all those terrible little jelly fish got in there, they were pretty much there to stay. Is the beach on HMC more open? If it is then I couldn't see how thousands of little jellyfish would be confined to a small space? Am I making sense or rambling??:o

I couldn't take it for very long, my son could. So I just waited on the lounge chair until he was ready to leave. I have never been to HMC, is it like CCC? I mean in CCC where we were in the water is almost like a pool. It is like "U" shaped so if all those terrible little jelly fish got in there, they were pretty much there to stay. Is the beach on HMC more open? If it is then I couldn't see how thousands of little jellyfish would be confined to a small space? Am I making sense or rambling??:o

I've never been to CCC. HMC is a regular beach. The sand is like white cake powder and the water is a beautiful blue.

Here's ziggy's (she used to post here) pictures of HMC. Prior to our first visit to HMC, I used to look at these every day. :)

http://travel.webshots.com/album/545430035SNnJOv

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/310184391qmbGBl

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/408974717jKHbAe

Here's a picture of the map they'll give you. At the one end, it's somewhat of a "U" shaped area, but you'll be the opposite direction (at least your clamshell will be). There is a snorkel area in that part of island, but we saw people snorkeling along the shore all the way past the regular cabanas. The tender arrives in the narrow canal at the bottom of the picture. You get off/on the tender at the yellow area and directly to the right is the big cabana.

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/1191570262059670232LudMhq

I understand what you're saying. I can those things getting caught in the "U" shape...with the tide and all and no way to go up or down the beach, I can see them pooling in an area like that. I suspect it had more to do with the time of year than anything. I believe there's a "season" for jellyfish, or a time there will be more. In December, I do not believe you're going to see a single jellyfish. I know we've never seen one. And if I did, I'd not be getting in the water.

I was so panicky about jellyfish that I almost bought Sea Safe, but we've not had any problems. If you are at all concerned, I read about this product here on CC.

http://www.buysafesea.com/

Now I hope I am making sense. :) I am for sure a rambler. lol

oh yeah, HMC is wide open, much better. and I never heard of sea safe, thanks for the tip. can you find it in any store or must it be ordered online?

I'd not heard of it either until I read about it here, and I ended up not looking for it once I found that we didn't have any problems. You might try a scuba diving/ snorkel place near you and see if they have it...or maybe they can order it for you.

I really don't think you'll have any problems, but for under $20 or so, if I had any worries, I'd order a bottle and take it along. Sea Safe also is a sunscreen, so if you plan on using sunscreen, it probably wouldn't hurt to buy a bottle.

You learn so much from here. I am amazed that it never ends. just when you think you've learned it all...BAM somthing new! I love it:D

The info from posters here is amazing, isn't it? I've even asked for help for land vacations at CC and gotten some wonderful tips. I also have a "future cruise/travel" file where I keep info that's been posted that would be useful for trips to places we haven't been as of yet.

Considering how short your time is in many ports, it's a good thing to have a game plan. So many people wander around trying to figure out what's going on...not me...I have my printed sheet with info that I take with me to each port. I've had people roll their eyes, but I've also had people ask me if they could take a look at my info sheets. :)

Archived