Watch Out For The Pullman

We were really shocked to have a pullman bed directly over our heads for our grown daughter. It has always been a pull out couch to the side, rather than a pullman directly overhead. This was the first time ever in 9 cruises with three cruise lines. You better ask and make sure before you accept a cabin for three (ours was a balcony on the 6th floor), because it really is no fun with someone sleeeping over your head! Not to mention the ladder had really far apart rungs and out daughter nearly fell several times.

Chuck

We were really shocked to have a pullman bed directly over our heads for our grown daughter. It has always been a pull out couch to the side, rather than a pullman directly overhead. This was the first time ever in 9 cruises with three cruise lines. You better ask and make sure before you accept a cabin for three (ours was a balcony on the 6th floor), because it really is no fun with someone sleeeping over your head! Not to mention the ladder had really far apart rungs and out daughter nearly fell several times.

Chuck

I am sorry that you were surprised, but that is what a pullman bed IS.

If you had a sofabed before, then that's what you had, NOT a pullman.

If your travel agent can't or won't give you this information,

a. you need to change agents

b. be proactive and look at the deck plans. Each cabin is marked with a symbol for extra accommodations - sofabed is a triangle, single pullman is an asterisk.

P.S. The rungs are NOT really far apart and easy to fall through. Many, if not most, of the passengers in those pullmans are kids, and they climb up and down the ladder just fine. My son did when he was 14 & 15 & 16.

And welcome back to Cruise Critic after your long absence.

Maybe you missed "9" cruises? I think we understand configurations and did not see a pullman bed. Just a warning to anyone to make sure what they are getting and we booked the cruise on our own...or maybe you didn't pick that up either. So don't be so rude.

Pullmans CAN be dangerous. My BIL missed a rung after tucking in his son and severely broke his ankle while aboard Mariner last year.

Happened 1st nite on board and was in a wheelchair and in pain for the entire cruise. Had to have surgery upon returning to the states.

Guess we can be glad that he didn't have to be evacuated during the cruise!!!

Our daughter is 27 years old. Grown people tend to have a more complicated time getting in and out of the bed via a ladder. Not much of a welcome back if you ask me.

There are several people "cheerleaders" in who's eyes RCL can do no wrong. It's always good to have someone post about problems they encountered so others can be aware and avoid the same mistake.

Why over the bed? Why not on the other side of the room over the couch? Believe me or not but the rungs on the ladder are pretty far apart and skinny....real easy to slip if you aren't careful. Seems kinda cheesey for paying that much money.

Maybe you missed "9" cruises? I think we understand configurations and did not see a pullman bed. Just a warning to anyone to make sure what they are getting and we booked the cruise on our own...or maybe you didn't pick that up either. So don't be so rude.

The deck plans are very specific, very easy to read with the symbols provided.

There are several people "cheerleaders" in who's eyes RCL can do no wrong. It's always good to have someone post about problems they encountered so others can be aware and avoid the same mistake.

sorry actually reading the plans does not make one a cheerleader. I am sorry the OP had a problem but some things are a result of not reading things thoroughly.

Our daughter is 27 years old. Grown people tend to have a more complicated time getting in and out of the bed via a ladder. Not much of a welcome back if you ask me.

My 71 yr old mother just slept in a pullman on her cruise since she was the youngest of the 3 in the cabin! If a 71 yr old can do it without falling, I would think a 27 yr old can do it.:eek:

Sorry, but the deck plans are NOT always correct. You need to call RCI to be sure what your cabin configuration will be.

Case in point. Cabin 7598 on Jewel. It states sofa bed. That cabin has a sofa bed AND pullman. It does not show that configuration online or in the brochure, yet it was confirmed twice, at different times by calling RCI.

sorry actually reading the plans does not make one a cheerleader. I am sorry the OP had a problem but some things are a result of not reading things thoroughly.

Not every one is adept at reading floor plans and this OP only has 7 posts. Even knowing there is a pullman doesn't mean you'd realise it's right over your head.

Not every one is adept at reading floor plans and this OP only has 7 posts. Even knowing there is a pullman doesn't mean you'd realise it's right over your head.

Regardless of where it is located some one with 9 cruises should be able to read a floorplan. they are quite clear.

Funny story. My girlfriend and I took my son on a spring break cruise awhile back. He was relegated to the bunk (pullman), of course. He fell out of it the third day, mercifully not hurting himself, but I decided I had better take it since he is a restless sleeper. Knowing how difficult they can be for an adult to get out of them, I always made sure to hang on to the side of the bunk when lowering myself because sometimes the ladder goes out from under you and I wanted to be ready to use the bottom bunk as a foot fall which it did several times.

Fast forward to an ob/gyn appointment with my girlfriend a week or so later. I happened to go first and the doctor asked me about a bruise. I told him that I bruised easily and not to worry about it. It was one on my thigh--not really big. He suggested maybe some blood work but I blew him off. He next went to my girlfiend to take care of her appointment. On the way to the car, she said the doctor asked her the strangest questions about how myself and my husband were getting along. I told her he saw this bruise on my thigh and I guess he thought husband was beating up on me. Later that morning we went swim suit shopping. While trying on a swim suit and looking in the mirror, I saw the most horrendous bruise you have ever seen in a spot that I could not see without a mirror. The mirror in our bathroom is in a separate area from where the bathtub/shower is which is why I had not seen it. I know it came from climbing down from the bunk and the ladder slipped and hit the area. My husband had been out of town for a couple of weeks and when he got home, I told him APS was looking for him on a wife beating charge (lol).

Tucker in Texas

Chuck,

Thanks for the post. The issue is not the difference between a pullman and a sofa bed, but the location of the pullman. Our pullman ran perpendicular to the bed. We have had rooms with pullmans before, but never directly over our heads. If my wife or I had been startled during the night we would have hit our heads on the pullman. In addition our son weighs around 205 lbs., the thought of him falling on us was not a pleasant one. This particular configuration may have been the result of having a connecting stateroom. The website or brochure gave no indication of this particular configuration. We did plenty of "homework" for our cruise on Explorer of the Seas and found nothing indicating this configuration. We had a great cruise but the room configuration was a bit of an issue and future cruisers should inquire about the exact configuration of their cabin and not depend on info in the brochure or web site.

99% of them are though. There might be a few mistakes and you found one. I did mark it for future reference so thanks for the heads up.

I must tell you that it has not been confirmed yet though. I am praying that the plan is wrong and the reps are right though, since we will be cruising with our son and daughter in that cabin and if it is a single sofa bed, we will not be happy campers.:eek:

I think the point is that when you book your cruise and there are 3 pax in one cabin they should ask ahead of time what the sleeping arrangements are so there are no surprises as the OP stated. IF they had known it was an upper Pullman they might have had the chance to switch to a sofa bed.

Sofa beds take up all the floor space when opened.....many of bumped toes in the night!!!

Chuck,

I'm sorry you were disappointed. I will be honest and say that anytime I sailed w/my 2 boys alone. We had the two beds below and a pullman over our heads. I guess its what I expected would be in a cabin. Next time, be sure to double check so your daughter doesn't have to climb like that again.

Just for a laugh: I'm only 5'1" and weigh about 118 (late 40's), both of my teens are waay bigger than me so I would have to chuckle if they were climbing over my head into a bunk bed at this point in life. The joys of having teenage sons that eat everything NOT nailed down in my home...LOL (this was supposed to be a visual that would give you laugh;)

Archived