Watch Out For The Pullman

Our daughter is 27 years old. Grown people tend to have a more complicated time getting in and out of the bed via a ladder. Not much of a welcome back if you ask me.

On my Voyager cruise I had a broken hand so my mother (then in her late 60's) took the upper bunk (pullman). She had absolutely no problems climbing up and down. The ladder was between the two beds below and the three of us moved around fine.

We were really shocked to have a pullman bed directly over our heads for our grown daughter. It has always been a pull out couch to the side, rather than a pullman directly overhead. This was the first time ever in 9 cruises with three cruise lines. You better ask and make sure before you accept a cabin for three (ours was a balcony on the 6th floor), because it really is no fun with someone sleeeping over your head! Not to mention the ladder had really far apart rungs and out daughter nearly fell several times.

Chuck

Maybe you missed "9" cruises? I think we understand configurations and did not see a pullman bed. Just a warning to anyone to make sure what they are getting and we booked the cruise on our own...or maybe you didn't pick that up either. So don't be so rude.

Our daughter is 27 years old. Grown people tend to have a more complicated time getting in and out of the bed via a ladder. Not much of a welcome back if you ask me.

I shouldn't do this, but somehow I feel compelled to address your two rude posts to me.

1. My post was not rude.

2. The floor plans are clear.

3. Nowhere in your original post did you state that you booked this cruise yourself. I was actually giving you the chance to blame your travel agent. :D

4. If you booked yourself, it is YOUR job to read the floorplans or ask the questions of the RC representative. Just because in your NINE PREVIOUS CRUISES you had a sofabed, there is no reason to assume that ONLY SOFABEDS EXIST.

5. In your original post, you said that the ladder had "really far apart rungs". I responded to that description. Now you say that it's "more complicated" for a 27 year old to use a ladder.

You are way too defensive, which is often a sign of someone who knows that s/he is in the wrong.

I am sorry, as I stated in MY NOT RUDE POST, that you were surprised and/or disappointed.

Other than that, how was your cruise?

Hmmmm...texting is all about upper and lower case. Upper case indicates a stronger tone (often called shouting) and tends to color your reply (to me) as being somewhat snobbish. I didn't realize this was a right or wrong post..just a warning to others who might not care to be surprised. Anyway, I found Liberty space utilization pushed to the edge of the envelope. There was always the feeling of crowdedness in the most popular areas, Windjammer was incredibly overcrowded, pool areas were wedged tight, and the promenade was unreal. The wait staff was really overwhelmed at times but possibly the happiest and most agreeable of any trip we have taken. No Baked Alaska broke my heart and a huge line for ice show tickets was just not worth the pushing and shoving. The food was great both in the dining room and Portofino (they tried to kill us). I think we will return to smaller ships in the future for a cruise that better fits our mid-fifties age range. Our cabin steward and wait staff were of the highest mark for all considered points. A larger promenade and wider aisles would have made this ship much more enjoyable. Oh and by the way...don't encourage underage drinking....not good for still developing minds and bodies.

Chuck

Hmmmm...texting is all about upper and lower case. Upper case indicates a stronger tone (often called shouting) and tends to color your reply (to me) as being somewhat snobbish. I didn't realize this was a right or wrong post..just a warning to others who might not care to be surprised. Anyway, I found Liberty space utilization pushed to the edge of the envelope. There was always the feeling of crowdedness in the most popular areas, Windjammer was incredibly overcrowded, pool areas were wedged tight, and the promenade was unreal. The wait staff was really overwhelmed at times but possibly the happiest and most agreeable of any trip we have taken. No Baked Alaska broke my heart and a huge line for ice show tickets was just not worth the pushing and shoving. The food was great both in the dining room and Portofino (they tried to kill us). I think we will return to smaller ships in the future for a cruise that better fits our mid-fifties age range. Our cabin steward and wait staff were of the highest mark for all considered points. A larger promenade and wider aisles would have made this ship much more enjoyable. Oh and by the way...don't encourage underage drinking....not good for still developing minds and bodies.

Chuck

To me, caps indicate emphasis, but it's news to me that one can convey snobbishness with fonts. Fascinating.

Anyway, it seems that we have both just sailed on the same ship, and my experience was quite different from yours.

The Liberty was remarkably NOT crowded. I always found space at the pool, always found a table in the Windjammer, and was always able to easily move down the Promenade. The only time that that was crowded was during the parades and the parties - but they foster that kind of crowding - it's part of the experience, like nightclubs that pack 'em in.

I can't speak to the experience of waiting for ice show tickets, as I got mine from the concierge. :)

Baked Alaska hasn't been served on RC ships in years.

Its funny that you said that.

I cruise with my disabled parent once a year (im 27 as well) and i honestly found that for adults, when the pullman is over a lower bunk, it pretty much renders the ladder useless, not too mention, its horrible stepping on that ladder barefoot, especially when its cold.

I find its easier to step on the edge of the bottom bunk and just kinda pull yourself up, and to get down, i just jump (the people in the cabin below me might not like me for that, but i try to keep quiet :p)

Been on 19 cruises, in every type of cabin category and i gotta say though, for a 3rd/4th person, the pullman/s being above the lower bunks is a very typical arrangement though. No surprise here, thanks for the heads up though (no pun intended :p)

Happy Cruising!

Funny story. My girlfriend and I took my son on a spring break cruise awhile back. He was relegated to the bunk (pullman), of course. He fell out of it the third day, mercifully not hurting himself, but I decided I had better take it since he is a restless sleeper. Knowing how difficult they can be for an adult to get out of them, I always made sure to hang on to the side of the bunk when lowering myself because sometimes the ladder goes out from under you and I wanted to be ready to use the bottom bunk as a foot fall which it did several times.

Fast forward to an ob/gyn appointment with my girlfriend a week or so later. I happened to go first and the doctor asked me about a bruise. I told him that I bruised easily and not to worry about it. It was one on my thigh--not really big. He suggested maybe some blood work but I blew him off. He next went to my girlfiend to take care of her appointment. On the way to the car, she said the doctor asked her the strangest questions about how myself and my husband were getting along. I told her he saw this bruise on my thigh and I guess he thought husband was beating up on me. Later that morning we went swim suit shopping. While trying on a swim suit and looking in the mirror, I saw the most horrendous bruise you have ever seen in a spot that I could not see without a mirror. The mirror in our bathroom is in a separate area from where the bathtub/shower is which is why I had not seen it. I know it came from climbing down from the bunk and the ladder slipped and hit the area. My husband had been out of town for a couple of weeks and when he got home, I told him APS was looking for him on a wife beating charge (lol).

Tucker in Texas

You should have told him you would not turn him in if he took you on a cruise real soon.

they are very clear on the layout what type of bedding you are getting. It would have had a symbol for sofabed if that was your configuration.

Hi Sue, Jane and I have cabin 8074 on the Jewel and on one website it is not a connecting cabin and on RCI's site it is a connecting cabin. Which one do you go by, RCI's?

I don't know where you cruise, but Baked Alaska has been available well over the past seven years on RC. I found Hands Across the Water being lip sinced by the wait staff to be an insult to my intelligence, as well as, a poor substitute for the march of the Baked Alaskas. Overall, the cruise was just fine and would be great for anyone who has not experienced the better cruises of the past. It is sad that the old traditions of cruising are disappearing and being replaced with the same old thing you could find in any theme park. I love RC for the solarium area and Portofino but really was disappointed in our balcony suite being so small and with a blasted pullman over our bed (not bunk). I think that is fair enough to complain about that; otherwise it was a nice cruise...and I have to agree about the escargot (mine was gritty). RC is still the best bang for your buck IMO. I'm not slamming RCI but hope they take this as constructive criticism. Sorry if I stepped on your toes.....do you work for RCI?

Chuck

I don't know where you cruise, but Baked Alaska has been available well over the past seven years on RC. I found Hands Across the Water being lip sinced by the wait staff to be an insult to my intelligence. Overall, the cruised was just fine and would be great for anyone who has not experienced the better cruises of the past. It is sad that the old traditions of cruising are disappearing and being replaced with the same old thing you could find in any theme park. I love RC for the solarium area and Portofino but really was disappointed in our balcony suite being so small and with a blasted bed over our bed (not bunk). I think that is fair enough to complain about; otherwise it was a nice cruise...and I have to agree about the escargot (mine was gritty). RC is still the best bang for your buck IMO.

Chuck

Weren't you in a regular balcony cabin? So you were NOT in a suite and again the square footage is listed on the floor plans, this should not have been a surprise. I have been sailing RCCL for a couple of years and we never had baked Alaska. Also we were right next to where the waiters stood singing and though some were louder then others there was no lip syncing. If you want to see bad dinner entertainment go on Carnival, then you can have something complain about because they do it every night.

Sorry, but the deck plans are NOT always correct. You need to call RCI to be sure what your cabin configuration will be.

Case in point. Cabin 7598 on Jewel. It states sofa bed. That cabin has a sofa bed AND pullman. It does not show that configuration online or in the brochure, yet it was confirmed twice, at different times by calling RCI.

Here is the description for "Large Oceanview Stateroom" from their website:

Also includes minibar, hair-dryer, TV, phone, computer jack, vanity table with an extendable working surface for laptop computers, and 110/220 electrical outlets. Some have Pullman beds and can accommodate 3-4 guests.

Can anyone tell me where the pullman is located in a D1 on the Radiance. I have searched the RC website and have not been able to get an accurate floorplan.

Thanks.

they are usually over the head of the bed in just about all the rooms I have seen.

My husband and when we went on our very 1st Cruise, went 3 days before we even knew about the Pullman being there. Didn't bother us, as it was just us in the room. However I do recall since it was our 1st Cruise, I was thinking more of the Destination, fact we were finally going on a cruise and where the room was located, then the overall configuration. After that Cruise & listening to others, we learn what to look for.

We were just on the Freedom and took our 9 year old grandson and knew we would have a pullman for him above us. We were concerned about him not wanting to sleep up there so before we went we started thinking about him sleeping on the couch. Turned out he really enjoyed it. Slept well up there and even enjoyed having it to use during the day to watch television from his own space. For us the pullman was great.

We were really shocked to have a pullman bed directly over our heads for our grown daughter. It has always been a pull out couch to the side, rather than a pullman directly overhead. This was the first time ever in 9 cruises with three cruise lines. You better ask and make sure before you accept a cabin for three (ours was a balcony on the 6th floor), because it really is no fun with someone sleeeping over your head! Not to mention the ladder had really far apart rungs and out daughter nearly fell several times.

Chuck

A note to all:

It would be very helpful if folks would include the name of the ship and the stateroom number when sharing information on this forum. Other CC members would be able to enter that number in the search. :)

Thank you~~

Leslie

I don't know where you cruise, but Baked Alaska has been available well over the past seven years on RC. I found Hands Across the Water being lip sinced by the wait staff to be an insult to my intelligence, as well as, a poor substitute for the march of the Baked Alaskas.

Just got off the Freedom yesterday. No Baked Alaska. Also the waiters did not sing, dance, or parade around at all the entire week. I assume it has to do with the "My Time Dining" with people being served at different times. It was nice to be able to eat and get out without my desert being held hostage while they paraded around.

Archived