Marva Shaw - Question??

jacksmom09

Hi! I contacted Marva Shaw RE: an Ochos Rios excursion in April! She quoted me a flat rate transportation cost and then amission prices for Dunn's River falls and James Bond Beach! Has anyone else done this with her?? Will we be alone? or with others?? Thanks for any input!:D

Yes, this is how we did our tour with her a couple of years ago. I have heard that at times there are others on her tours, but we only had the 5 members of our family. She was very willing to customize our tour and allow us to stay as long as we wanted everywhere--she also made recommendations for things that she thought we would enjoy and she was right on target for us. We also used her son to tour Grand Cayman (he was living there at the time, but has moved back to Jamacia now) and he was also very good. Just ask Marva if there will be others on your tour. She was very nice and I would not hesitate to recommend her! Can't wait to go back and use her services again!

Marva may be having troubles with her internet right now. Remember Gustav just hit the island:eek:. Try and contact her again, she was always very responsive when we worked with her. When we went with her we went to Dunns River Falls, a botanical garden, shopping and had lunch at a local jerk shack. We were going to go to another place, but it was raining so hard that Marva was worried that the roads would not be safe. We trusted her judgement and cancelled that part of the day. I can't remember the exact cost per person, but it was reasonable. I am thinking it was around $25or $30pp for the day. We did pay our own admission. Hope this helps!

You can contact Marva through her website at www.knowjamaica.com.

We have used Marva twice and had wonderful days with her. Being on your own tour with her or going with a group will probably depend on how many are in your group. We had five the first time and six people the second time and both times we were in her private van. She has a large bus for smaller groups of people. If you want a private tour, I am sure you could arrange that with her for an extra fee, if your group is small.

We went to Dunns River Falls and Reggae Beach last summer (I think we paid around $40/$50 (I can't remember exactly) per person, which included the entrance fee to the falls). This year Marva gave us a tour of the area and then we went to Reggae Beach ($40 pp plus $5 entrance fee to the beach). The beach is wonderful and secluded (no tourists). It has a small bar and grill, although they weren't serving food when we were there in May because they were getting ready for a big Reggae concert on the beach that night. This is one of my favorite beaches in the Caribbean. We have never felt unsafe there and it is fun to go where the locals hang out. This beach is owned by the Rastafari, so do not go there if you don't have an open mind.

I cannot say enough good things about Marva and her son Javia. You will have a wonderful day. Here are some pics of us with Marva and Reggae Beach.

1144558918_MarvelousMarva.jpg.c8ad2daad35003b00e6d0eb097211687.jpg

1575510192_MarvaShaw.jpg.3c9620b8bcd31db67880b789f3d708fd.jpg

849899242_ReggaeBeach.jpg.eb3cf217938e7c427606321b12140481.jpg

126157771_ReggaeBeach4.jpg.396af17e0dbf0715c5391462aa8d3fb6.jpg

Cruiser2202:

Can you tell me how close Reggae Beach is to where the ship docked & what the beach is like? What is the Rastafari you mentioned?

I was really trying to find a Dunn's River/Zipline Combo. I have found a few that offer that but after reading Marva's reviews am thinking of going with her & forgetting the zipline, not sure yet.

Does she have any of the Dolphin Encounters with Dunn's River?

gracie65:

Reggae Beach is about a 15 to 20 minute drive from the port. We have been to this beach twice and loved it. Very secluded, no tourists. We took our kids there and they loved it too. You can snorkle to the left side or to the right side of the beach - I thought the right side was a little better. The snorkeling is just okay - mostly coral formations and some small fish. Not lots to see, but enough to keep us happy. We saw Caribbean reef squid both times we were there. There was a boat anchored just off the beach and there were tons of fish under the boat. We found lots of cool shells in the water at the beach (on the right side).

There are restrooms and a small bar and grill. The grill was not open on the day we were there in May because they were getting ready for a big Reggae concert that night. The bar was open and Troy was our bartender both times we were there. Loved drinking Red Stripe ($3) in Jamaica. When we were there last summer we had the fresh red snapper at the beach and it was delicious. Marva can also suggest other places to eat.

The beach is owned by the Rastafari, think of dreadlocks, laid back--and they will be there. We have never felt unsafe there and cannot wait to go back. Both times we were there (last year and this year), we practically had the beach to ourselves. It was incredible. They do not rent chairs or umbrellas but there are picnic tables and lots of trees for shade. They do rent snorkel equipment.

You will not be harassed on this beach by anyone. The locals keep to themselves and there are no vendors. Marva waited in her van in the parking lot while we were there.

You can contact Marva through her website, www.knowjamaica.com and ask her to customize a tour for you. She is very accomodating and wants you to completely enjoy your day in Jamaica. Everyone we have taken with us to be with Marva (our kids and our friends) loved her. On both cruises it was our best day. If you contact her you can mention that you talked to Gena from Washington on cruise critic.

I will try to put up some more pics of the beach, I'm having problems with some of my pictures attaching.

Cruiser2002:

Have you done anything else with Marva besides Dunn's River & Reggae Beach? We live in North Myrtle Beach, SC & are having three other beach stops on our Jan. 31 cruise so we really wanted Jamaica to be our more adventure stop. I don't normally do the ship sponsered excursions anymore since discovering cruise critic but the Mystic Mountain with the bob sled, canopy tour & chair lift sounds pretty neat. Unfortunately it's cruise ships only. Thanks for your input. Marva sounds wonderful & if we don't use her this time then I'll remember her for the next time we are there. Sounds like you feel about her like I do Kathleen that runs a daysail in St. Thomas, I can't wait to get back there again.

The only other thing we've done in Ocho Rios is take a tour of the area, which we really enjoyed. Marva took us to visit "the spice lady" who let us sample fruits and spices, very interesting.

Does Kathleen in St. Thomas have a website? We'll be there again in March and were planning on going to Coki Beach, but I always like to keep my options open!

Yes, Kathleen has a web site it's: http://pws.prserv.net/sailhighpockets/

In 14 cruises this has by far been the best thing we have ever done. I think it was $125.00pp but it includes, the sailboat, captain & first mate fore the day, no more then 6 people can go, full bar, lunch, snorkeling equipment etc. You have to take a taxi to Red Hook where she will meet you. She will take your requests on where you would like to sail to. We wanted to go to St. John but once we got there the seas were rough that day & she didn't advise it. She knows the area so well she was able to take us to a secluded area with calm waters. The lunch is so awesome she sent me the recipes & I make it a few times a month. When I first booked it I thought this better be worth it for this much money & it was AWESOME!!!!!! I liked it because it was uncrowded & private. We've done a few of the Cataraman(sp) sailings with the cruise ships with 100 other people & just really preferred the relaxing atmosphere with Kathleen.

Can you tell how much I loved this?

Thank you for the info about Kathleen, I will look into it. How was the snorkeling and did you get beach time as well? How long was the excursion?

I am not much of a snorkeler but the other people I was with loved it. Her equipment was well maintained. She also has those floats if you want to just relax. You can either swim to the shore or she will take you in the dinghy if it's too far. We opted to stay on the boat or just jump off where we were. She's very flexible & will do what ever you want weather permitting. I cruise the Western caribbean again on 1/31/09, my next cruise will be booked around her schedule, she does take off during hurricane season.

Cruiser2002:

Have you done anything else with Marva besides Dunn's River & Reggae Beach? We live in North Myrtle Beach, SC & are having three other beach stops on our Jan. 31 cruise so we really wanted Jamaica to be our more adventure stop. I don't normally do the ship sponsered excursions anymore since discovering cruise critic but the Mystic Mountain with the bob sled, canopy tour & chair lift sounds pretty neat. Unfortunately it's cruise ships only. Thanks for your input. Marva sounds wonderful & if we don't use her this time then I'll remember her for the next time we are there. Sounds like you feel about her like I do Kathleen that runs a daysail in St. Thomas, I can't wait to get back there again.

Gracie,

I absolutly love Kathleen. We had the best day ever with her. She made sure we were well taken care off. I had my kids with me and she let them drive the boat. They loved it. Definantly enjoyed the rum punch.

I just contacted Marva to arrainge a tour with her. It sounds like I made a good choice. She has been very accomadaiting.

Thank you for the info about Kathleen, I will look into it. How was the snorkeling and did you get beach time as well? How long was the excursion?

The snorkeling was fun. I found a conch shell on the beach, along with a bunch of other shells. I has so much stuff Kathleen had to bring the dingy over to carry it back. The water was 86 degrees.

Her email address is below.

high-pockets@attglobal.net,

The snorkeling was fun. I found a conch shell on the beach, along with a bunch of other shells. I has so much stuff Kathleen had to bring the dingy over to carry it back. The water was 86 degrees.

Her email address is below.

high-pockets@attglobal.net,

I realize we have gotten way off topic, but I see besides Kathleen we both also love The Spirit. It has been my favorite ship to date. I wish she still left from the East Coast.

Yes I do like the Spirit. I plan on sailing her to Alaska in 2010. We are taking the Pride, which is her sister ship, through the Panama Canal next March. She will be based out of Miami now.

We are stopping in Jamaica so thats why I'm looking here for stuff to do. I hate ship tours. Way to crowded. I think we are going to do well with Marva. We plan on horseback riding on the beach, some sightseeing and lunch.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi yorky,

I emailed Marva through her website Sunday the 21st and immediately received an automated reply, then got another email Monday evening giving me details about where to meet her, how much the tour would cost, etc. The second email came from "cyber tours," without any indication it was from Marva until I opened it so is it possible you overlooked it thinking it was spam?

Archived