Thinking about winging it in GC

Embre

If you're winging it....

And you want to rent a jeep or car, be sure to travel to the other side of the island. It's a beautiful island filled with beaches and awesome scenery. Drive up to Rum Point area and then circle the long way around back to town.

If you want to snorkel, we highly recommend the Sunset House dive resort. Last cruise we "winged" it and took a right (South) off of the cruise ship pier. About 3/4 of a mile down is the Sunset House Dive resort. Cost nothing to use their facilities. There is NO beach. It's all rock/coral ledge at the water, but there are stairs into the crystal clear water there. They also have a wonderful "natural" (but probably man made) pool that you can get used to snorkeling in and then swim out into the ocean through the break in the wall. It was awesome snorkeling there. We LOVED it. After we were done snorkeling, we rinsed off in their showers and sat at the ocean. They have a big Palapa covered beach bar. There was wonderful island music playing the the food from the bar was the best we'd had all cruise. The food was not terribly expensive (compared to places in town in Georgetown). We drank a lot of beer, each had lunch and an appetizer and our bill was about $70 us. NOT BAD!!! I think we each had 6 beers. We LOVED this place and would go back there in a heartbeat, especially if we wanted to snorkel again. It was beautiful and relaxing. The view from the Beach bar (which was actually on concrete above the waterline, was terrific.

Sunset Dive House looks really interesting, possibly less crowded with us cruisers as well. I assume they rent snorkel equipment...if so what do they charge, just to get an idea.

Is there someplace those of us new to GC can pick up a map. Are there other means of transportation that aren't as involved as car rental.....moped rental, busses?

BonnieVA, No they do not have car rental right at the pier in GC. Most rental places are at the airport. Most people reserve in advance and then call the rental company when they arrive in port - they pick you up and take you to your rental car and the reverse is true on your return.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

If you're winging it....

And you want to rent a jeep or car, be sure to travel to the other side of the island. It's a beautiful island filled with beaches and awesome scenery. Drive up to Rum Point area and then circle the long way around back to town.

If you want to snorkel, we highly recommend the Sunset House dive resort. Last cruise we "winged" it and took a right (South) off of the cruise ship pier. About 3/4 of a mile down is the Sunset House Dive resort. Cost nothing to use their facilities. There is NO beach. It's all rock/coral ledge at the water, but there are stairs into the crystal clear water there. They also have a wonderful "natural" (but probably man made) pool that you can get used to snorkeling in and then swim out into the ocean through the break in the wall. It was awesome snorkeling there. We LOVED it. After we were done snorkeling, we rinsed off in their showers and sat at the ocean. They have a big Palapa covered beach bar. There was wonderful island music playing the the food from the bar was the best we'd had all cruise. The food was not terribly expensive (compared to places in town in Georgetown). We drank a lot of beer, each had lunch and an appetizer and our bill was about $70 us. NOT BAD!!! I think we each had 6 beers. We LOVED this place and would go back there in a heartbeat, especially if we wanted to snorkel again. It was beautiful and relaxing. The view from the Beach bar (which was actually on concrete above the waterline, was terrific.

I agree with mrsfuzzmo about Sunset House. We didn't snorkel, but had lunch and a few beers on their deck. That was a wonderful place to just relax, soak in the sun and the beauty of it all. My recollection is that there are snorkel and possibly scuba rentals right there or very close by.

Yes, Sunset House does have a Dive Shack right there. You can rent any kind of gear that you would need. I don't recall the prices, but they were reasonable. We have our own snorkle & Masks but we rented the fins for about $10 for the whole day. Not bad. If I remember correctly it was about $20 for the whole set. Something like that.

There were 5 ships in port when we were there, and there were only 2 other couples from ships at the Sunset House (that we could tell). It was not very crowded and super relaxing. We loved it there so much, we suggested it to some friends last spring and they loved it as well.

If your looking for a good deal on food and drink with some snorkeling and relaxing built in, this is the place. You can walk there from the pier.

BonnieVA, No they do not have car rental right at the pier in GC. Most rental places are at the airport. Most people reserve in advance and then call the rental company when they arrive in port - they pick you up and take you to your rental car and the reverse is true on your return.

I hope this helps!

Enjoy!

Thanks! Yes, you've been helpful! Is the "shuttle" to/from the airport complimentary?

We're doing Royal Palms/Reef Grill, too. Everything is there and all the reviews are great. SeaGrape offers amenities as well -- there's a great post RoyalPalms vs. SeaGrape. I think RP is a little closer to port. Either way, I think that's our plan. I'd considered doing the semi-sub tour with the kiddos (3 and 8), any thoughts on that??? If you'd considered beginning scuba, you might just want to rent some snorkel equipment and snorkel around. It's much cheaper and I think snorkeling in GC is pretty cool (unlike Jamaica, which I heard doesn't have much to see).

have done stingray 3 times as always with someone who has not done it. Last time my sister and I wanted to do some close to the tender snorkeling. Get your own equip. you will use it forever. Get off tender, turn right go to 1st beach bar. They have a ladder into sea and we jumped in and saw 8 very large fish and many many others. Can't think what they are called. I went to library and Barnes/Noble and looked at best snorkeling at Grand Cayman. We stayed in for a while, got out bought a drink, went to rum cake store and back to ship. It cost nothing. We are both in our 50's so anyone can do this. The stingray area was INCREDIBLE and worth every dime we paid but takes a while to get to.

• 4 weeks later...
The more I think about it the more likely it is my sister and I will probably just wing it it Grand Cayman, I just can't find anything specific that I really feel I must do.

Anyway....anyone have any suggestions of where to go and what to do on an "off the cuff" kinda day in GC?

Last time we did the obligatory but very enjoyable Stingrays with Capt. marvin-afterwards I convinced my DH and DS to walk to a souvenier shop called Pure Art. I was quoted it being 1 mile from center of town- if standing on shore with water behind you walk "way down" right side- until you reach South Church Street & Denham-Thompson Way. I will not live down how far it was...a long mile by the way and hot! It is a house with all kinds of great island souveniers and Art-kind of a one stop shop! I located two coke bottles decorated, small tin signs etc.,fine art watercolor reproduction prints. Next time DH & I may walk again, but if any older folk or young ones take a taxi.

www.pureart.ky/

We're doing Royal Palms/Reef Grill, too. Everything is there and all the reviews are great. SeaGrape offers amenities as well -- there's a great post RoyalPalms vs. SeaGrape. I think RP is a little closer to port. Either way, I think that's our plan. I'd considered doing the semi-sub tour with the kiddos (3 and 8), any thoughts on that??? If you'd considered beginning scuba, you might just want to rent some snorkel equipment and snorkel around. It's much cheaper and I think snorkeling in GC is pretty cool (unlike Jamaica, which I heard doesn't have much to see).

When our kids were 6 and 9 we did the turtle farm. My parents took them so can't tell you much except they loved it

We just got back from GC and just winged it. We took the bus (little minivans) and saw much of the island. At the pier there were tons of tours being offered including stingrays, hell, submarine, snorkeling and the turtle farm. We went to the turtle farm on our own and were way underimpressed. My son's favorite part was riding in the rickshas down the island for a little while

My son's favorite part was riding in the rickshas down the island for a little while

Could you elaborate on this? What & where are the rickshaws you're referring to? Were they at the Turtle Farm (which we aren't going to visit)? I hadn't heard of that for GC. How old is your son?

My son is 10 with autism. The rickshaws were along the waterfront near Hard Rock. Somebody rides a bicycle in front of a buggy that you ride in. He loved it and it is a nice way to get around when not going to far and don't want to walk or take a taxi

Here is a pic

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=38752609&albumID=2336146&imageID=46788596

• 2 weeks later...

It's very easy to take a bus for $2.50 to Boatswain's Beach where you can either get a Turtle Farm pass for $18 or the whole park which includes a wonderful Caribbean bird aviary (rare Cayman Parrots!) and a predator tank where you can see shark feeding. The day we were in port, there was rough weather and all Stingray City trips were cancelled. We hadn't booked abything and planned to wing it so we got off the tender and scurried over to the Captain Marvin's office and found out the bad news. If the weather had been fine, they could have accommodated us on the tour without advance booking. So we went to Boatswain's Beach, Hell and back to town for shopping-all using the local buses.

We are also planning on going on our own in Geo. Town. I like the idea of the "Bus". How much does it cost to take one around the island? Can you get off and look around and then get another one and then go to some places to take really great pictures of the beach and then take a bus back to the ship?

slowpoke58

• 2 weeks later...

We've "winged it" the last couple times we've been in Grand Cayman. We went to Eden Rock Dive Shop, an easy walk from the tender pier, and snorkeled there. Great snorkeling! You could rent equipment and storage lockers for your belongings. We've also taken taxis to 7 Mile Beach and walked until we found a good place to relax. This coming time we might try Sunset House for snorkeling as some on this forum recommend that as well. We might have to try the buses sometime too!

We winged it before in Grand Cayman and used taxis. This time we are thinking about taking the bus.

I know the bus costs $2.50 per person, but was wondering if that's for all day or must you pay each time you board? Also, will they take you anywhere you want to go or do they have a schedule to follow?:)

• 2 weeks later...
We winged it before in Grand Cayman and used taxis. This time we are thinking about taking the bus.

I know the bus costs $2.50 per person, but was wondering if that's for all day or must you pay each time you board? Also, will they take you anywhere you want to go or do they have a schedule to follow?:)

Thanks for the information...we were wondering about that too.:)

If you're winging it....

That's our exact plans for our day in Grand Cayman..I looked into " Sunsethouse Dive Resort " and emailed the Dive shop Manager named " Mike " and asked if we could snorkel first and then use his bar ( My Bar ) in our wet clothes after that. He emailed me back and not only said " yes " but also stated that he might join us for the cold one..It really sounds nice and friendly.

Archived