Martinque and Tortola

debmkay

Question for you that have been to those two islands please......Thinking about the 4X4 safari excursion on Martinque, worth the money or should we just do something on our own as usual? We have never been there and on Tortola we would like to do the Baths but we aren't sure how strenuous that is, DH has a very bad back and cannot walk for long distances, I posted in the port section but have not received a reply so thought maybe here would be quicker. Thank you in advance! :)

Question for you that have been to those two islands please......Thinking about the 4X4 safari excursion on Martinque, worth the money or should we just do something on our own as usual? We have never been there and on Tortola we would like to do the Baths but we aren't sure how strenuous that is, DH has a very bad back and cannot walk for long distances, I posted in the port section but have not received a reply so thought maybe here would be quicker. Thank you in advance! :)

The baths are beautiful however once you get to Tortola the ride to the baths is bumpy and it's probably 1/4 or half mile down a dirt path to get to the baths. As for martinique. Just walking around town,won't cut it. I would recommend getting out of the town and doing something. We just walked around where the ship docks and weren't overly impressed.

Have fun

Do agree about the Baths -- the road is very rough getting there -- and that dirt path leaves much to be desired -- remember that not only is it steep to get down the dirt path -- but you have to get back up that steep hill.

Definitely need to do a tour -- the town itself is not much. The last time we weren't even docked within walking distance of the town. Book a tour. Not so sure about that 4 X 4 if your DH has a bad back.

Well thanks for the reply, hubby would be fine with a semi rough ride, its the walking that kills him, so now I know that the steep hill back from the baths would not do for him at all I think, that answers that question. Guess we will find something else to do in Tortola.

As for martinique. Just walking around town,won't cut it. I would recommend getting out of the town and doing something. We just walked around where the ship docks and weren't overly impressed.

Have fun

I agree...get out of town. The place is a hole IMO:eek: .

Good morning!

I visited both ports last year on my 10 day cruise. Both were wonderful ports to visit.

For Martinique, I just went into Fort-de-France. Mind you prior to sailing and even before docking there, most of the talk about Martinique was very negative. I did find one great review under the Martinique port of call board by member Bob7 that really help.

I really enjoyed walking the cobblestone streets,visiting the marketplace, stopping at a small pastry shop and ordering with my broken French and a smile. I also wander in a supermarket to check out the wonderful selections of wine and cheese.

The majority of the people there don't speak English, but I wasn't in US, but in their country. I know some basic (hello, thank you, how much, where's the restroom) and a smile got me a long way. In the pastry shop, I received an extra pastry for my effort.

Also, be aware since the Euro is their primary currency and it's alot stronger than the dollar, expect for the pricing to be higher.

If you don't want to do a ship tour, when you exit the gates there are drivers there selling island tours. Since we were in port such a short time, I just opt for Fort-de-France. If I get a chance to return to Martinique again, I will opt for a island tour.

For Tortola, I'm a fluffy gal :D and I had no problem doing the baths both direction. I went with a tour guide listed under the Tortola port of call board. It was a wonderful day,just take your time in some of the spots and you will be ok.

Happy sailing!!

SECOND TIME AROUND AND MY 40TH BIRTHDAY CRUISE ON THE

MAASDAM!!

10/24/08-11/07/08

Hi Carol - I'm interested in going to Cane Bay on our January trip; do you mind a few questions?

1. Distance from the ship

2. $$ for admission, rentals, etc.

3. Water calm? undertow?

4. Anything else you'd like to add is appreciated!

We were in Tortola 2 years ago and just walked around town a bit - didn't do the "baths" due to my husband's mobility issues. Beaching it is the way we like to go! Anyhoo....any info you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Martinique...yes, get out of town. And IF you go to Fort De France, (right near where the launch will drop you off) be aware that there was drug activity around there (known by the crew)...my husband was stabbed on the beach at 11:30 am there on a cruise. (AOK...whew) Just an FYI.

Jan

Martinique...yes, get out of town. And IF you go to Fort De France, (right near where the launch will drop you off) be aware that there was drug activity around there (known by the crew)...my husband was stabbed on the beach at 11:30 am there on a cruise. (AOK...whew) Just an FYI.

Jan

Glad to hear your husband is ok. I think if I ever go to Martinique again I will not get off the ship unless it's on an excursion. Thanks for the heads up. Just confirms my thoughts on the place.

Hi Carol - I'm interested in going to Cane Bay on our January trip; do you mind a few questions?

1. Distance from the ship

2. $$ for admission, rentals, etc.

3. Water calm? undertow?

4. Anything else you'd like to add is appreciated!

We were in Tortola 2 years ago and just walked around town a bit - didn't do the "baths" due to my husband's mobility issues. Beaching it is the way we like to go! Anyhoo....any info you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

From a review I posted in 07, the cab fare back then was $5 pp but I'm sure it's gone up. Don't remember if there was an entrance fee or not.

I do know it was clean, there were restrooms, chaises and umbrellas to rent and the water was calm and the sand heavenly. It's about 25 minutes from the pier and there are cabs waiting at the pier to take you. You can tell the driver what time to come back and pick you up, and he'll be there, smiling and waiting. As I recall, the town of Tortola wasn't anything but some flea market type of stores which is why we head for the beach.

There is a shorter, easier to walk path going down to the beach from the parking lot.

It's to the left of the regular path, as you start to walk down. Ask at the top of the hill for directions - we didn't find it until we were already at the bottom and found a sign pointing to "car park".

The beach is pretty, secluded, and low key. But even this less steep path is about a 10 minute walk down a gently sloping hill. It may not be good for OP, but may help some of other readers who had problems walking down the main path.

We loved the baths - crawling around on the rocks and up the stairs was quite an experience. DH bought the T shirt proclaiming he survived the baths.

Enjoy the port. It does have other beaches that are more accessible.

:):):) ninkb

Archived