What type of bag for shore excursions?

jacksmom09

Hi! I am looking for a cute, practical, roomy bag to use for shore excursions! Last cruise I used a tote bag, but would maybe prefer something different! I will be carrying all family's stuff! Just wondering what everyone else uses?? And if anyone has any recomendations? Thanks!

I recommend something small........so that you DON'T end up carrying the whole family's stuff! :p Seriously, I like to use a smallish crossbody organizer type bag - has compartments that double as a wallet. It's hands-free and safer to carry around. Then we usually have a larger tote bag for towels, sunscreen, etc. and we take turns toting it! I learned from several Disney trips that if I used a backpack instead of a purse (ESPECIALLY if it was anything at all feminine looking!) that I ended up carrying absolutely everything - from diapers to snacks to souvenirs. NO MORE!!

Truly, you don't want to be the "pack mule" for the family! Let everyone carry their own junk!

Of course, what you're doing will dictate what type of bag you need to carry. I will take a small purse for shopping and sightseeing. If we're going to the beach, I need towels (everyone can carry their own!!!), sunscreen, a book, maybe bottled water, if we're in an "iffy" port....that's about it!

I got everyone in my party the L.L. Bean totes, individual colors and with our names on them. I love the fact that I could design the bag, and color it as I wished, so many choices! I made sure to get the zipper, and long straps, they are very colorful and will hold alot. I made some of those pocket insert roll up thingys, so we can tuck our important stuff into them, and them into the totes. Very nice,, I picked the colors according to the persons favorites.

Love L.L. Bean!!

I got everyone in my party the L.L. Bean totes, individual colors and with our names on them. I love the fact that I could design the bag, and color it as I wished, so many choices! I made sure to get the zipper, and long straps, they are very colorful and will hold alot. I made some of those pocket insert roll up thingys, so we can tuck our important stuff into them, and them into the totes. Very nice,, I picked the colors according to the persons favorites.

Love L.L. Bean!!

First, I see you are sailing for your parents 60th

Anniversary? I want to wish them a wonderful congratulations:)

Quite a milestone indeed!

And 2nd, you sound like a giving soul:) ....you purchased and

designed tote bags for everyone going with you?

I am very impressed. I know I would never have the

wherewithall to do that.....

I hope everyone appreciates your efforts:)

We are not beach people so we don't need to take any towels on our excursions. I use a drawstring type backpack. It can hold quite alot and gives me hands free. I have had passports, wallet, camera rainjacket and bottled water in my bag. I really like it because I don't have to keep juggling a bag on my shoulder; I'm not a fan of the crossover type bag.

LL Bean has some very nice totes (some with zippers) that are great for beach days.

I have a baggallini cross over travel purse that I love. I also have two of these http://www.baggubag.com/ that I really like. Jan

Thanks for all the input!:D I love the baggubags! Just wondering how roomy they are?? Also wondering if anyone uses a messenger type bag??

We've found that a small backpack works great,especially the sling style. Cargo pockets work great also. I always seem to be loading up my husbands pockets of his cargo shorts with cameras, water bottles and maps. He becomes our pack mule !

This is exactly what I use as well and it has been wonderful. I wouldn't travel without it.

I had a friend of mine make me a nautical style tote!

It's med size, with nice long shoulder straps and roomy pockets inside. She used navy, red, & white striped fabric. Around the top there are grommetts with a red polka dot sash threaded through that ties in a small bow on the side of the tote. Similar to the Daydreamer tote by Juicy Couture.

Its exactly what I wanted, now I have a tote just for cruising!! She even makes little passport wallets, I bought one of those to match as well!! You can find her here...http://sweetpeatotes.blogspot.com/

I had a friend of mine make me a nautical style tote!

It's med size, with nice long shoulder straps and roomy pockets inside. She used navy, red, & white striped fabric. Around the top there are grommetts with a red polka dot sash threaded through that ties in a small bow on the side of the tote. Similar to the Daydreamer tote by Juicy Couture.

Its exactly what I wanted, now I have a tote just for cruising!! She even makes little passport wallets, I bought one of those to match as well!! You can find her here...http://sweetpeatotes.blogspot.com/

Her stuff is adorable! Can you link me to a photo of what she's made for you so I can get an idea?

I don't like backpacks because I tend to get hot very easily and don't want a heater mounted on my back. I lean toward messenger bags in different sizes so I can choose the right one for that trip. I also like hands-free, zippered closures, lots of pockets and a padded strap if possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I take a soft quilted type backpack. I actually bought it in Grenada on a cruise. It's not large, just big enough for the essentials. The thing I really like about it is the straps are soft quilted cotton so if I have a little bit of a sunburn it doesn't rum on my shoulders. It also rides low, almost in the lower part of my back, so it is very comfy. I like to be able to have both my hands free while wandering around.

Similar to this (without the bees!)

http://henriettashandbags.com/quilted_bee_backpack.html

Archived