What if you leave the ship early at one of the stops to come home?

mikedx

Gang,

A buddy (from a different country than the US) I'm going cruising with has already paid for his cruise on Carnival. He just found out that his mother-in-law is having a major surgery in the middle of the cruise that he can't miss out on (his wife would never forgive him). He wants to leave at the first port (The ship leaves at a US port and the first stop is a US port) and then fly back. When he talked to the travel agent, there was some mention about the "Jones Act" and fines and/or imprisonment.

Anybody with more knowledge about the best way to handle the situation? Should he tell them about the emergency and hope for the best, or just get off the ship and not look back?

Can they really fine you or throw you in jail for not getting back on the ship?

Federal Law prohibits travel between two contiguous U.S. ports. For example, you cannot board the ship in New Orleans and then debark in Tampa. Such travel would constitute point to point transportation between two U.S. ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Any guest who insists on debarking under these circumstances accepts responsibility for any and all resulting penalties.

http://www.shipguide.com/

Gang,

A buddy (from a different country than the US) I'm going cruising with has already paid for his cruise on Carnival. He just found out that his mother-in-law is having a major surgery in the middle of the cruise that he can't miss out on (his wife would never forgive him). He wants to leave at the first port (The ship leaves at a US port and the first stop is a US port) and then fly back. When he talked to the travel agent, there was some mention about the "Jones Act" and fines and/or imprisonment.

Anybody with more knowledge about the best way to handle the situation? Should he tell them about the emergency and hope for the best, or just get off the ship and not look back?

Can they really fine you or throw you in jail for not getting back on the ship?

Just use the travel insurance policy.Since its a family member,he will get a full refund.If he was foolish to not have it,the fines for leaving the ship could be greater than the cost of the cruise.

You said that:

"Federal Law prohibits travel between two contiguous U.S. ports."

So if he stayed on board on the first US stop, the 2nd stop is in Mexico. Would he not get fined getting off there?

No, the cruise was paid for by other people for services rendered, and it didn't include travel insurance.

I was on a cruise a couple of years ago and met a woman that lived in St. Thomas and used the cruise ship to get to and from the mainland. She said she was unable to fly and this was the only means of transportation. At the time she had been in Florida to visit her mother and was on her way back home.

American insular possessions are exempt from the Passenger Services Act so it is perfectly legal to use a foreign vessel for transportation between them and the main land. It is also perfectly legal to travel on a ship one way between the USA and a foreign port as anyone who has sailed a repositioning cruise knows.

If you read the rules for the Carnival Vacation Guarantee you will see that it can only be invoked at the first foreign port due to the PSA.

He will probably get a bill from the cruise line for the $600 fine for a Jones Act violation that will be levied against them for transporting a passenger between two US ports. If he doesn't pay it, the cruiseline will sue him.

Doesn't Carnival have a guarantee that says if you want to leave and get a refund, you have to leave at the first port. Doesn't say first non US port. So I don't see how he would get fined. But it seems like a lot of $$ to spend for what 1 sea day? Maybe 2?

Doesn't Carnival have a guarantee that says if you want to leave and get a refund, you have to leave at the first port. Doesn't say first non US port. So I don't see how he would get fined. But it seems like a lot of $$ to spend for what 1 sea day? Maybe 2?

It does.

*VACATION GUARANTEE VALID ONLY IF GUEST ADVISES SHIP’S INFORMATION DESK OF ELECTION TO DEBARK AND RECEIVE PRO-RATA REFUND BEFORE THE SHIP’S ARRIVAL AT THE FIRST NON-U.S. PORT OF CALL. Refund amount will be calculated by multiplying (x) amount of cruise fare paid by guest by (y) number of unused cruise nights, divided by (z) total number of cruise nights of guest’s voyage. Refund will include the amount of an Economy fare airline ticket from port of debarkation to port of embarkation. To receive refund, guest must send copy of purchased airline ticket to the Refunds department. Refund checks will be mailed within 30 days of cruise termination. Guests paying by credit card will have the money refunded to the same card. Carnival will not be responsible for any incidental expenses of guests following debarkation. Other limitations apply. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED AND NOT APPLICABLE ON ALASKA, EUROPE, HAWAII, PANAMA CANAL, SOUTH AMERICA ITINERARIES AND CRUISES-TO-NOWHERE. The number of cruise days before arrival at first non-U.S. port of call varies by itinerary. See any travel agent for more information. Vacation Guarantee applies to cruise departures through and including December 12, 2009. Applies to U.S. and Canadian residents only. Due to a U.S. Government requirement, guests must be in possession of a valid passport to return to the U.S. by air from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, The Bahamas and Bermuda.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/vacation_guarantee.aspx

First foreign port. See post #9

"We're so confident you'll enjoy your Carnival cruise vacation, we guarantee it. Carnival is the only cruise line to offer the Vacation Guarantee*. Simply book your cruise vacation and sail away on a "Fun Ship." If you are not completely satisfied with your cruise vacation experience, all you need to do is notify us before arrival at the first port of call and you must debark at your ship's first non-U.S. port of call. Carnival will refund the unused portion of your cruise fare and pay your flight back."

I guess maybe I am missing something here. Why go if it is so important that he be there for the surgery. He may get one or two sea days out of it and then consider if there are problems with flights etc. He may not make it back in time. On some of the islands there may only be 2 flights a week. How far out is the cruise - I would consider cancelling if there is time.

The Vacation Guarantee does, indeed, specify the first FOREIGN port.

Well thanks for all the input guys. I keep getting different dollar figures (i.e. $300, $400, and $600)

Well he wants to come over to the US for a few days before the cruise, and meet some people he'll never have another chance to. Additionally, his plane ticket and cruise is already paid for. So half the vacation is better for him than none at all. NO worries about getting a flight back. He'll get a ride back to the continental us and take it from there.

But again, thanks for the input.

It can't be done. Here is a brief on the Jones Act:

"The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S. registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S. ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S. ports, which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands ( St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S. ports under this act.

The exception to this rule is if the itinerary includes a "distant foreign port". South America and the ABC Islands (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) do qualify as distant foreign ports. Canada , Mexico , Central America, Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands do not qualify as distant foreign ports.

Any guest who insists on debarking in this situation (which violates the Jones Act) will accept responsibility for any resulting penalties."

Can he go ashore and not come back? I suppose. However, when he shows up missing on the computer, it starts a whole series of actions by the Captain. First, he is paged over and over, local authorities are notified that a passenger is missing, a complete search of the ship is done, his room mates are questioned carefully and in some cases, local authorities and FBI board the ship and start investigating. These procedures hold up the cruise and makes for a shipload of angry passengers. Carnival will sue his butt off to recoop costs if they find out what he did....and, they will, sooner or later.

But, initially, if he tries to leave the ship with his luggage, he will not be permitted to take it off the ship.

If he's truly concerned about his relative, then stay home. Advise him that sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.

All - What I don't understand, is how If you have Travel Insurance and a family member at home has this type of problem, there's apparently a provision for you to return home mid-cruise. You might pursue this thru the agency that handles this??? And/or at this point, eat another $300. ken

Well he isn't from the US or Canada, so the vacation guarantee doesn't apply.

What I'm curious about is that there are repeatedly cases where people stay out too late at port and miss the ship and they don't stop to wait for them. They have to fly to the next port and get on board. But I never hear what penalties if any they suffer by doing this. And of course they don't try to take their luggage with them.

No, no travel insurance.

Again, thanks for all the great advice!

We'll see what happens.

Well maybe I haven't explained it well enough. He's coming over to the states for several day before the ship sails. He spending a couple days on the ship because there's a group of people there that lives in the states and won't ever meet again.

The surgery is scheduled that he would have to leave before the cruise is over. He can get back to the states and can get a flight back home.

Why go at all? Because he's already paid the airfare and the cruise was paid for him without travel insurance. So $300 is nothing compared with what's already spent on this trip. So why not enjoy 6 days out of a 10 day vacation?

Archived