What if you leave the ship early at one of the stops to come home?

mikedx

They visited distant foreign ports, so they're covered.

I suspect the government would have waived Jones Act fines if they had been incurred in that situation, though.

I agree that the Passinger Services Act fines were probably waived.But they did not visit any distant foreign ports as The Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America are not considered distant foreign ports, Only the ABC Islands and South America.

I agree that the Passinger Services Act fines were probably waived.But they did not visit any distant foreign ports as The Caribbean, Mexico, and Central America are not considered distant foreign ports, Only the ABC Islands and South America.

I did not realize those ports didn't count.

Then like you said, I'm sure the fines were waived considering the circumstances.

Err....guys? The OP already posted what happened. Read your thread.

I'm glad I wasn't the only once scratching my head when it was suggested that the mil cancel the surgery that she's most likely already had lol I have a feeling this thread will continue onward for quite awhile with all the well meaning advice......despite the situation having passed already :D

Apparently if I get on the ship in say for example Jax and then get off in Key West I am subject to a fine.

And the fine is paid to the cruise line?

You are not subject to a fine, the cruise line is subject to a fine. The cruise lines knowing this have a clause in the contract of carriage in which you agree to reimburse the line for any fines levied against it.

From the Contract of Carriage:

"(e) Guest acknowledges that, for a voyage commencing in a United States port for a round-trip voyage via one or more United States ports, Guest must complete the voyage and disembark at the embarkation port. Failure to do so may result in a fine or penalty being imposed by the United States Customs Service or other governmental agency. In consideration for the fare paid, Guest agrees to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of Guest’s failure to complete the voyage."

What happens if I run late, or maybe get drunk and fall asleep, in Key West and miss the ship?

Do I still pay a fine?

If so to whom is it paid?

When?

The cost of the fine will be added to your onboard account. When the account is closed out at the end of the voyage your credit card will be billed, or cash deducted from your account. If you do not have sufficient funds to cover your balance you will receive a bill.

What if I go to Goodwill and get a suitcase of clothing and leave in in my cabin so it really looks like I missed the boat and then get off in Key West?

Am I still assessed a fine?

Will I be sent a bill?

As I understand it the ship uses the security system attached to the Sign and Sail card to account for who is onboard and who is ashore. Have they switched to the more sophisticated "old luggage in cabin" system? :D

Ok. We went from one US port to another. He told the information desk that his wife was having surgery and he wanted off. They told him he had to pay $300 due to the Jones act. He paid, and left the ship. He flew back to Holland the next day for the surgery.

By the way, you can't get travel insurance after the final payment deadline has passed.

I was there at the information desk. They didn't seem to care what the excuse was as long as they got their $300.

The law does not allow for any excuses, otherwise people and cruiselines would constantly be using whatever excuse they could. Carnival was NOT getting THEIR $300. They were collecting the fine that we agree to pay when we book a cruise. Don't make Carnival or any cruiseline out to be the bad guy here. A extremely stupid law is the bad guy. A law designed to protect US Passenger vessels and the US shipbuilding industry. And we all know how well US Passenger vessels and the US shipbuilding industry are doing.................................................RIP

Dan

If Mexico is not considered a distant foreign port, then how do you explain the itineraries of the Ecstasy, the Fantasy, and the Holiday? The ONLY ports they visit currently are Mexico.

If Mexico is not considered a distant foreign port, then how do you explain the itineraries of the Ecstasy, the Fantasy, and the Holiday? The ONLY ports they visit currently are Mexico.

They come back to the same US port from which the passengers embark.

On a cruise that begins and ends in the same US port they only have to stop at a foreign port. It's only if the cruise begins and ends at a different US port that the distant foreign port requirement comes into play.

Those itineraries are round-trip sailings. Foreign vessels run afoul of the PSA when they depart from one USA port and arrive at a different USA port. The post you quoted was replying to another post about the Conquest departing Galveston and returning to Houston. (and ofcourse New Orleans).

It can't be done. Here is a brief on the Jones Act:

"The Jones Act (also known as the Passenger Services Act) prohibits ships of Non-U.S. registry from embarking and debarking guests at two different U.S. ports. Such travel would constitute point-to-point transportation between two U.S. ports' date=' which is prohibited on foreign flagged ships. Note: Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands ( St. Thomas; St. Croix; St. John) are not in the category of U.S. ports under this act.

The exception to this rule is if the itinerary includes a "distant foreign port". South America and the ABC Islands (Aruba-Bonaire-Curacao) do qualify as distant foreign ports. Canada , Mexico , Central America, Bermuda and most Caribbean Islands do not qualify as distant foreign ports.

Any guest who insists on debarking in this situation (which violates the Jones Act) will accept responsibility for any resulting penalties."

Can he go ashore and not come back? I suppose. However, when he shows up missing on the computer, it starts a whole series of actions by the Captain. First, he is paged over and over, local authorities are notified that a passenger is missing, a complete search of the ship is done, his room mates are questioned carefully and in some cases, local authorities and FBI board the ship and start investigating. These procedures hold up the cruise and makes for a shipload of angry passengers. Carnival will sue his butt off to recoop costs if they find out what he did....and, they will, sooner or later.

But, initially, if he tries to leave the ship with his luggage, he will not be permitted to take it off the ship.

If he's truly concerned about his relative, then stay home. Advise him that sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it too.[/quote']

Hey G'Ma!

You can have your cake and eat it too! But- you can not eat your cake and have it.. ..LOL!:p ;)

They come back to the same US port from which the passengers embark.

On a cruise that begins and ends in the same US port they only have to stop at a foreign port. It's only if the cruise begins and ends at a different US port that the distant foreign port requirement comes into play.

Those itineraries are round-trip sailings. Foreign vessels run afoul of the PSA when they depart from one USA port and arrive at a different USA port. The post you quoted was replying to another post about the Conquest departing Galveston and returning to Houston. (and ofcourse New Orleans).

Ahhh . . . I see! I didn't realize they distinguished between the two. I thought as long as you visited any foreign port before returning to any US port, you were good to go.

It's a really stupid law, isn't it?? :confused:

You are not subject to a fine, the cruise line is subject to a fine. The cruise lines knowing this have a clause in the contract of carriage in which you agree to reimburse the line for any fines levied against it.

From the Contract of Carriage:

"(e) Guest acknowledges that, for a voyage commencing in a United States port for a round-trip voyage via one or more United States ports, Guest must complete the voyage and disembark at the embarkation port. Failure to do so may result in a fine or penalty being imposed by the United States Customs Service or other governmental agency. In consideration for the fare paid, Guest agrees to pay any such fine or penalty imposed because of Guest’s failure to complete the voyage."

The cost of the fine will be added to your onboard account. When the account is closed out at the end of the voyage your credit card will be billed, or cash deducted from your account. If you do not have sufficient funds to cover your balance you will receive a bill.

As I understand it the ship uses the security system attached to the Sign and Sail card to account for who is onboard and who is ashore. Have they switched to the more sophisticated "old luggage in cabin" system? :D

I don't know.

But I do know first hand that security checks the cabins of missing folks looking for them.

So apparently there is thought to be the possibility of a glitch.

Has anyone reading this ever missed the boat and actually been billed?

If a person has to discontinue their cruise for illness are they assessed a fine?

Is their family who must also leave assessed a fine?

Inquiring minds and all that...

I don't know.

But I do know first hand that security checks the cabins of missing folks looking for them.

So apparently there is thought to be the possibility of a glitch.

Has anyone reading this ever missed the boat and actually been billed?

If a person has to discontinue their cruise for illness are they assessed a fine?

Is their family who must also leave assessed a fine?

Inquiring minds and all that...

Very few cruise itineraries stop at a domestic USA port during the cruise. Key West is the most common one but Port Canaveral is also a stop on some sailings from the northeast and Catalina is a stop on many California departures. The USA insular possessions, Puerto Rico and the USVI are exempt from the PSA. Since this situation is so rare the issue of fines is also rare. But as Dan said so clearly a few posts back, there are no exceptions/exemptions. Foreign flagged vessels are prohibited by law from carrying passengers between US ports. If they violate this prohibition they are subject to a $300 fine per violation. You as the passenger agree to reimburse the line for the fine.

Protectionist legislation almost always does far more harm than good. But the call for protectionism never seems to go away. Will we ever learn?:(

What seems really stupid is that it does not prevent people from not returning to the ship, for whatever reason.

Instead it merely imposes a fee.

So if there is some nefarious purpose in failing to reembark it is not going to stop the supposed evil doer, but will just penalize the people who want follow the rules and run into complications.

Sounds like a tax to me.

The PSA isn't an act designed to enhance security on ships. It was passed to protect American steam ship operators from foreign competition.

Lets suppose we substitute "Murdering people" for "not returning to the ship" and "Life in prison or execution" for "a fee". Now your first statement reads as follows:

"What seems really stupid is that it does not prevent people from murdering people, for whatever reason.

Instead it merely imposes life in prison or execution."

Hence we have the nature of laws. Laws in and of themselves prevent nothing. Laws serve as a deterrent and a punishment for certain behavior, not as a prophylactic.

Archived