prime time for bear viewing in Ketchikan

lundys21

I would definetly not do bear tour thru the cruise ship. We went on the Alaska Bear Adventure thru Princess (Taquan Air) We saw bears but just a glimpse and they ran right back to woods. For $339 pp we were very disappointed. We went to Polk Inlet which I was warned on here not to do. Stick with Michelle or someone highly recommended. The float plane trip was beautifiul and I was not scared at all. I must admit I was quite nervous but did fine. Hope you have a great time. Check out the helicopter on a Glacier. Beautiful trip.

I just don't understand the fascination with seeing BLACK bears, which are the most prevalent species in SE Alaska. A trip to Western NJ or the Poconos is far cheaper than a trip to Alaska. The black bear are THICK around Exit 40, Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania.

For all the money it costs to go to Alaska, I sure would take an extra day and fly from Anchorage at least and see BROWNS/GRIZZLIES up close and personal. You won't find browns/grizzlies in the lower 48 (there are some but will you see them??-doubtful). The price is about the same as a ship tour. JMHO

Budget Queen are there Grizzlies at Anan??

From the NPS website:

"Black bears are the main wildlife attraction at Anan. Black bears use the entire Anan drainage, but are most commonly seen at the falls near the observatory where they tend to congregate due to the large number of salmon. During the salmon run, from late June to late August, visitors may also see brown bears, bald eagles, several species of gulls, and harbor seals in the area."

You MAY see a brown, but no guarantees.

In early August we saw tons of Black Bears and one Brown Bear at Anan Creek. While there may be bears in New Jersey, it was a little different watching bears gorge themselves on the salmon. Watching a bear go through a garbage can is probably not as nice.

I thought it was pretty amazing to watch the salmon try to go up the creek by the thousands while the bears had a feast. We were fortunate to see about 10 different bears, include two with cubs, for the entire 3 hours we were there.

In early August we saw tons of Black Bears and one Brown Bear at Anan Creek. While there may be bears in New Jersey, it was a little different watching bears gorge themselves on the salmon. Watching a bear go through a garbage can is probably not as nice.

I thought it was pretty amazing to watch the salmon try to go up the creek by the thousands while the bears had a feast. We were fortunate to see about 10 different bears, include two with cubs, for the entire 3 hours we were there.

...is a bear, is a bear, is a bear, wherever he is or whatever he's doing!!!!

...is a bear, is a bear, is a bear, wherever he is or whatever he's doing!!!!

ooooooooooooh, you soooooooooooooooo don't understand until you've been on a stream packed with salmon w/ mom trying to teach her kids to fish. but if you're already set with your 'tude, (insert disparaging remark of your choice)

My DH has had his lunch taken by NJ black bears, nothing like watching them catching, eating, and throwing away salmon! We saw dozens of bears, 3 sows, each had 2 cubs, tiny, small, and medium sized. They climb down, and all over the rocks, its incredible. One Mom kept growling at her 2 cubs to stay up on the rocks. One did, but the other was fearless and kept following, bleating as if to say wait for me. We saw thousands of salmon. Trying to swim up stream, washed under the bear blind, also had a bear right under our feet, very cool! One walked right up to the observation deck, then turned and headed down the trail. On our way back to Dave and Family Air float plane a sow and 2 cubs crossed the boardwalk, she stopped, growled at them, as if to say move, then walked off the steps and into the forest after her babies. It was a very memorable experience. I have a picture of her muddy footprints on the walkway. Well worth the cost! We had nasty weather on the way back, bounced a few times on landing, but so worth it! Dave is a great pilot, and it was a trip we will never forget! If you can do it, have the timing and the money, we highly recommend it!

To see bears in Kethchikan, all you have to do is walk 5 or 6 blocks up the river and see plenty of bears feasting on salmon at this time of the year.

Also another place we have always seen bears is the Mendenhall glacier, west side in the nature walk trails. On the boardwalks you can get to see bears feeding on salmon 3 feet below you.

sept. is the best time to see bears without going on a tour.

I'm in agreement with bottom-dragger's succinct response and nana nancys more descriptive narrative of her experience. Bear watching during the salmon run is much more than watching bears...black, brown...or whatever.

I've seen plenty of bears...San Diego is probably the bear capital of the world if you count the number of species "living" at the San Diego Zoo. But during the salmon run in Alaska...bear watching is a whole different ballgame.

The salmon run at its height is a spectacle in and of itself. The thousands and thousands of salmon desperately swimming headlong up churning streams is a sight to behold. Watching them jump up rushing waterfalls that look impossible...or, wondering how they know there's a fish pass which makes the going a little easier...is incredible. All this to get back home to spawn...and die.

Add to this the setting in which this drama takes place. The streams and rivers are surrounded by some of the most beautiful temperate rainforests on earth. During bear watching "season", the peace and serenity of these surroundings is often interrupted by visitors who anxiously trudge through the woods "jingling little bear bells".

Finally...hopefully...the bears will appear out of the forest and "get down to business". I was amazed at the incredible fishing skills of the adult bears. With utmost patience and intense focus they waited...after one swipe they had their dinner. They're the envy of many a fisherman I'm sure. We didn't see any mothers teaching their young to fish...but we did notice that they kept them very close. If a cub strayed too far the mother was quick to call it back.

Just one more thought. While bear viewing is a lot of fun...it's also serious business. Follow your guides advice, stick close together and make noise as you walk through the forest. It lets the bear know you're coming so they know to stay out of the way. While we all know the "bear viewing rules" it's difficult not to follow your basic instinct and run when you encounter a charging bear.

I just don't understand the fascination with seeing BLACK bears, which are the most prevalent species in SE Alaska. A trip to Western NJ or the Poconos is far cheaper than a trip to Alaska. The black bear are THICK around Exit 40, Interstate 80 in Pennsylvania.

For all the money it costs to go to Alaska, I sure would take an extra day and fly from Anchorage at least and see BROWNS/GRIZZLIES up close and personal. You won't find browns/grizzlies in the lower 48 (there are some but will you see them??-doubtful). The price is about the same as a ship tour. JMHO

Bravo for telling the truth!

I have never paid to see a bear, but have seen plenty in Alaska and in the lower 48. I never will pay to see a bear. All I need to do to see a bear is try to carry my groceries into our family home in the Chugach mountains.

Next time I go looking for bears around the "hood" in San Diego...I'll remember it's no big deal...we have them on every street corner fishing for salmon in the creeks.

I know you are trying to be funny, but your statement MISSES the point entirely.

Black bear are VERY prevalent in NJ, PA and NY state (and others, like Michigan/Wisconsin, etc). The Delaware Water Gap area (PA/NJ border-both National Recreation area and the State Forest) is filled with black bears THAT FISH. Shad migrate to the ocean just like salmon. And black bears LOVE shad.

One reason the black bears are so thick around Exit 40-41, Interstate 80, PA-the CREEK that runs between the two exits is literally FILLED with fish. The creek is relatively hard to get to for humans to fish, but the bears have NO problems.

The garbage at the truck stops is in bear proof containers and trucks hauling food have been banned from sleeping/staying for more than 2 hours to prevent bears attacking the trailers. So the bears are in the area for the FISH, not the garbage.

The Skytop Lodge in the Poconos even has a naturalist who is a black bear expert and "bear viewing" is one the premier activities at this lodge.

A couple days in the Poconos is FAR cheaper than a trip to Alaska. Again, for not much more money than a ship's tour, a trip from ANC to Lake Clark, Brooks or any other place in the Katmai to see browns/grizzlies that weigh 800-1500 pounds would sure be a FAR more satisfying trip than to see 200-300 pound black bears which are VERY available in the lower 48. JMHO

I know you are trying to be funny, but your statement MISSES the point entirely. JMHO

Thank you greatam, I agree with you that bears can be seen in many places. Actually I could stay in San Diego and see probably just about every species bear on earth at the San Diego Zoo.

I agree bears are everywhere...what made our bear viewing experience special in Southeast Alaska was the phenomenon of watching the bears feed during the salmon run in the midst of a beautiful temperate rain forest. It was the whole experience of watching do what bears do in their natural habitat rather than in ours.

See my previous post which was a couple of posts up...I try to convey as best I can what we saw and felt.

Added thought...I agree it's costly. Many times the locales are accessible only by float plane from the cruise ports which is factored into the cost. Frankly, I wanted to play Alaska bush pilot for a day and fly in a Beaver. I told Michelle I didn't care where we went if we had to change our itineraries due to weather...I'd go to the grocery store with her if need be. Now that's an expensive trip to the market. :D

My husband and I were the only two on the plane that day and we had a great time and loved seeing Alaska from a different perspective in all types of weather (and we had every kind of weather all in one day...that's Alaska).

Archived