Formal nights..question

Rollexx

I enjoy reading the many threads and sometimes heated debate regarding "Formal night". Always good for a few laughs. We leave Sunday for Alaska and think we may skip formal nights this time around. Been there, done that.

Anyways,this got me to thinking. Every time the question is asked about

formal night, is a suit required, will they get turned away, etc..the debate

usually gets rather ugly. The general feeling is, go to the buffet if you don't want to dress up. Fair enough, but then what?? I mean,after dinner you have the shows, night life,etc. I never read anything negative about people not dressed up ruining the atmosphere in these venues. Why just in the dining room?. Just curious.

I enjoy reading the many threads and sometimes heated debate regarding "Formal night". Always good for a few laughs. We leave Sunday for Alaska and think we may skip formal nights this time around. Been there, done that.

usually gets rather ugly. The general feeling is, go to the buffet if you don't want to dress up. Fair enough, but then what?? I mean,after dinner you have the shows, night life,etc. I never read anything negative about people not dressed up ruining the atmosphere in these venues. Why just in the dining room?. Just curious.

The cruise lines used to ask those on formal night to 'stay in formal wear' for the evening. It was worded a bit differently, but it was a nice way of saying "don't run back to your stateroom to change clothes after dinner". I think they have given up on that idea now. LOL

I haven't seen something like this mentioned that the venues onboard after dinner are still considered a formal affair in quite some time. No need to worry, they will still allow you into the show. But be careful, if you sit up front in something very non-formal, and there happens to be a comedian, he is liable to point you out to the crowd. Just sit back a bit and it won't be a problem. (saw this happen on one cruise where I man showed up at the show on formal night in shorts and a T-Shirt). ;)

Is suit required? NO, we just finished a European cruise and the European's took dressing more seriously then I recalled ever seeing on my previous cruises. We saw many people in a tie, and fewer in slacks and nice shirt in both anytime and also the speciality resturants. People can debate all they want but I didn't see anyone turned away. It was clear NO shorts, and they reminded us on the first evening.

It is fun to get dressed up once in a while and take picture and not, but it ain't for everyone. I for one would have no problem if my neighbor or table mates happened to be more casual ( no shorts, or pool wear, but Dockers and a golf shirt would be fine ).

I fail to see why you wouldn't choose to enjoy the nice sit down even if you don't bring traditional formal wear.

Nothing wrong at all with changing clothes after the formal dinner. Although, the first cruise we took was in 2000 on RCCI on the Voyager on it's 6th week out. We looked forward to formal nights as we didn't get to do that much since everywhere you went it seemed to have gone more informal. Formal dining was great and a lot of fun (and we still enjoy it) but the friends we were with decided that they wanted to change to "comfort" when we left the dining room. We changed and then went to the ice show and boy were we out of place. I have noticed that things have lightened up a little since then. We are thinking of only doing one of the formal nights on our up coming cruise and go to the buffet informally the other. We may even change down a little (not too casual as to draw attention to ourselves however) after the formal attire for the entertainment later. You'll have a great time.

Heck, I've spent a small fortune on gowns over the years for my cruises. After dinner, I keep it on. However, DH hates wearing his tux after dinner. So....we go to the show with me in my gown and him in khakis and a polo shirt. Yep, we are a strange pair but we don't care. I'm happy and so is he. Don't worry what others think. Have a great cruise.

I fail to see why you wouldn't choose to enjoy the nice sit down even if you don't bring traditional formal wear.
Let's keep this on topic. This is not a dining question but an "after dinner" question. Let's not have another debate between what the cruiseline requests passengers to wear vs. what passengers want to wear at dinner.

You can wear what you want now after dinner. Many remain in the same clothes as dinner, others go back and change. This is really up to you.

Considering the shows after dinner typically are performed with dimmed lighting, it's a little hard to "ruin the atmosphere" when it's dark all around you.

Conversely, it's decently lighted in the dining room. Plus, with all the service, courses, etc, the dining rooms are a pretty formal affair and the guests dressing the part only makes them fit in better there. Compare this against the shows, like a comedian. The comics I've seen definitely don't give off a "formal" vibe in their shows.

Considering the shows after dinner typically are performed with dimmed lighting, it's a little hard to "ruin the atmosphere" when it's dark all around you.

Conversely, it's decently lighted in the dining room. Plus, with all the service, courses, etc, the dining rooms are a pretty formal affair and the guests dressing the part only makes them fit in better there.

Finally, someone who read and answered the question that was actually asked!

I'm sure there are some who would prefer to have everyone stay dressed for the evening but the cruise line doesn't care one way or the other. I suppose dressing has something to do with the quality & enjoyment of the type of food. The fancier the food the more you should dress.

After dining....there is a wide mixture of folks in casual and formal wear. Whether they have changed or not is unknown from a casual observer.

We stay in our formal wear mainly because that evening (IMHO) is a special evening for the entire evening to us. We love to go dancing or the show afterwards or have some really special drinks for the evening.

Also, we would rather just change our clothes one last time when we are ready for bed. After all....during a day at sea...which most formal nights are held....we dress for breakfast, change into swim suits for the pool time, change clothes to go and do games on board the ships in one of the lounges (no swimsuits allowed) , have cocktails, and then change for dinner. By no means are we gonna change clothes ONE MORE TIME before time for bed. LOL.:D

DH and I dress for the evening, whether it is formal or smart casual. I take my time finding comfortable eveningwear for both of us. If your outfits fit well, they can be comfortabe to wear all evening, even on formal nights. We enjoy dressing up for the entire evening. Cruising is special, why take away from the experience by dressing down after dinner. Enjoy what is out of the ordinary.;)

I still have no idea why someone would get dressed up for dinner and change back to casual for the rest of the evening. It's never made sense to me. It's so much fun to get dressed up and we don't do it often enough anymore.

I agree with you 100%.:)

Doesn't anybody read the "Answer Book" that Princess sends out??? I think this addresses the question quite clearly. Does anyone expect that an answer from someone on this forum that differs from the Princess guidelines will be acceptable????

Ron

I still have no idea why someone would get dressed up for dinner and change back to casual for the rest of the evening. It's never made sense to me. It's so much fun to get dressed up and we don't do it often enough anymore.

Because I refuse to wear a silk gown to go to MUTS and eat popcorn! There's tons of reasons why people want to change - who cares!

On you next cruise after the first formal diner, sit back in the show lounge & take a hard look around & notice how many people have taken off their ties & jackets. After the second formal nights diner take another look around again & you see a very noticeably increase in the casual dress. They've quickly realized that it isn't a requirement after all & want to be comfortable, period.

If it works for you, great but trying to do so in a suit & tie (especially on my vacation) is not the way to go.

Because I refuse to wear a silk gown to go to MUTS and eat popcorn! There's tons of reasons why people want to change - who cares!

Going up to MUTS, a midnight swim, or any outdoor activity after dinner makes it understandable why someone would change after dinner...but what about those who are staying in to see a show or dancing in a lounge? Why change then?

Going up to MUTS, a midnight swim, or any outdoor activity after dinner makes it understandable why someone would change after dinner...but what about those who are staying in to see a show or dancing in a lounge? Why change then?

Because it's a 1,000 times more comfortable to sit there in jeans & short sleeve shirt than a suit jacket & tie.

People feel good in their formal wear. Most have no life except on a cruise, so they like to impress even if they are on vacation.
This is completely uncalled for. I know who I am and don't feel I have to impress anyone for any reason. And, I have a life; a pretty damn good one, thank you.

People feel good in their formal wear. Most have no life except on a cruise, so they like to impress even if they are on vacation.

Now that is an incorrect generaliztion... If you actually spend time talking to people on board, you'll find that there are many fascinating people there. Over the years, I've met former high ranking military personel, jet setting South Americans, self made millionaires, world travelers, all who have led incredible lives. They are not there to impress. I've had an interesting life myself and I don't dress on a cruise to impress anyone. I dress because it has been part of cruising for over a century. It's traditional and I enjoy it. Dressing up for the entire evening adds to the ambience and overall enjoyment of my cruise. If I wanted just a casual vacation, I would have booked a hotel. A cruise is more than just a vacation.

Apparently I didn't make myself clear in OP..what I was wondering was why all the heated debates on dress ONLY in the dining rooms??

You made yourself clear, Rollexx. Trouble is, there are the same 2 or 3 posters that as soon as they see the word "formal" have to make sure everyone knows they are against it, whether or not it is actually relevant to the OP. As far as your question goes, I think Toto's response is as close to accurate as I can figure out.

Archived