What do you take with you on shore excursions?

jacksmom09

My card to get back on the ship, of course, always a big bottle of water, camera, extra batteries, a hat if we are going to be outside a lot, some cash for tips, etc., probably some kind of snack, we bring those crackers with peanut butter in them, from home, they are great for an excursion. Depends on where we are, but sometimes candy for the kids on the islands. Swimming stuff if it's part of the excursion. The bag I use is one where the strap goes across my body, it holds quite a bit but is quite small and has a bottle holder on it. I got it at a flea market and just love it. It has 2 good sized compartments and a spot for cell phone and bottle on the front. I can put my camera right in that bag. If we are going swimming, I'll bring a beach bag along also.

We tend to have days with multiple activities. I have a back pack that I carry off the ship. It holds everything 2 people need and is easy to carry if we are walking. Special things I pack include bottled water, the single use crystal light drink mixes, bug spray depending on where you are going, an extra t-shirt for DH since he sweats a lot, some most wipes in a baggie. Its not heavy and we take turns carrying it.

One of the most important things to bring to port, which many are not aware of, is the information for the cruiseline's port agent. In the event that you miss the ship or have an emergency, he/she is the one who will help you. This info is on the daily program of all cruise lines; Bring it to shore with you.

Another item is a copy of your passport and a copy of your main credit card. The passport, for travel home in an emergency, and the credit card info in case of loss or theft so you can call and cancel your card.

Another suggestion, is that you call your credit card company in advance of your trip to tell them your are cruising on ____ cruiseline and where you'll be stopping. I've seen people unable to use their cards in port due to fraud alerts.

Hope this helps,

GN

We are leaving on the 18th on the Coral Princess.:D Because of these boards I have called my credit card company about the fact we will be on a cruise. I was interested to find out they do ask what cruise line and what exact countries that we will be visiting. We have cruised before and have traveled outside the country before but I have never notified our credit card company:eek: Have never had any problems before but I figure since I now know I should follow my instincts and follow advice found here. These are wonderful threads.

In my tiny purse -- I have my ID card -- driver's license -- some small bills -- charge card -- kleenex -- benedryle for bites -- ink pen.

DH's back pack has 2 small bottles of water -- a copy the ship's shore information which has the recommended stores as well as the shore agent's name and address -- it is a rainy day - small folding umbrellas -- camera -- extra batteries.

For the beach we take towels, a bit of money, sunscreen, book, hat...that's about it! There's no need to be a "pack mule" for a couple hour trip to the beach!

We've never taken water, as all of the beaches have had bars/restaurants right there. (This is where a bit of research prior to the trip comes in handy!!!)

Hi! I am trying to decide on a bag??? for shore excursions and are just wondering what everyone takes on their shore excursions??? :confused: Thanks for your help!

I always take "The One Who Must Be Obeyed" (my darling wife)!;)

My husband always carries a water wallet, that secures around his waste or clips in his bathing suit pocket. It has our sea passes, money, credit card.

I carry a bag if we are doing beach excursions.

Believe it or not I found a Diaper bag at Wall Mart for 10 dollars. It has a plastic insert to keep wet bathing suits separate from the stuff I want dry.

Also, suntan lotion, bug spray, bandaids, comb.

And of course towels, although it can get heavy with wet items it is compact enough to not get in the way.

Later

We carry our LL Bean backpack with the cruise compass, towels if needed, purse, camera and snacks. We buy the waterproof safes that are made of plastic and hang around our necks for the sea pass, money, credit cards and so forth. They are totally waterproof and you have them right on your body so there is no chance of theft.

We have always alerted our credit card company to the travel arrangements.

Happy Travels

Archived