Ecstasy Today!

KCE

Thanks, Soonerone! I will not get a refund, but felt it was more important to take care of my home-where 90mph winds are expected and to take care of 80yo inlaws who refuse to evacutate!

Absolutely! We live in Tampa, and if a hurricane were bearing down on us I'd stay home too. That's why we buy the insurance.

But the ship still has to pull out of port, and will do so on its scheduled timetable. Why not take passengers? That was the problem the OP has with this.

Carnival doesn't hire Capt. Jack Black to stand in the yardarms, cutlass between the teeth, cursing the winds and waves while foolishly sailing into the eye of the storm. The ship will be out of port, moving at speed to the South or East and will be away from the area affected by Ike. They are not idiots, as suggested by the OP.

PS---we sail in 11 days on the Inspiration. You think I've not been watching the progression of things? Sure have been!

Iagree-Altoough,I think Carnvial should have given people a choice- the ship is leaving, so come on and join us, but if you have doubts you will be given credit on a future cruise.

Why? Isn't that what cruise insurance is for? Not trying to be cold-hearted, but they are leaving at the scheduled time for their scheduled run. That is what people bought and paid for. Refunds or credits are given for inconvenience.

Granted, if you drive you might not have a car when you return. Good reason to cancel and file with the cruise insurance. But if you fly in, go for it.

BTW, great thread by a pax on the Glory that is running right now and their experience with Hannah. Suggest that everyone read what they have to say about their hurricane experience.

The cruise is not what I would be worried about. I have cruised many times out of galveston and based on where this hurricane hits. There is no way most of these people car are not going to have major damage. All of the cruise parking is outside barely about the seawall. The govenor is calling a surge wave to sweep the island at least 15 high. That will be high enough to swamp every car on the island.

These people will have fun, but want have a way to drive home once there vacation is over.

Thanks, Soonerone! I will not get a refund, but felt it was more important to take care of my home-where 90mph winds are expected and to take care of 80yo inlaws who refuse to evacutate!

While travel insurance certainly is advised when booking a cruise during hurricane season, if you will write a well worded letter to Carnival explaining your reasons (home in Houston and elderly inlaws) .... I feel certain that while you may not get a full refund...you may get it credited towards a future cruise.

Our prayers are for you and your family at this time.

The cruise is not what I would be worried about. I have cruised many times out of galveston and based on where this hurricane hits. There is no way most of these people car are not going to have major damage. All of the cruise parking is outside barely about the seawall. The govenor is calling a surge wave to sweep the island at least 15 high. That will be high enough to swamp every car on the island.

These people will have fun, but want have a way to drive home once there vacation is over.

Exactly one of the reasons I'm choosing to stay. Parts of the island already have water over the roadways!

If I were worried about my car...I would have parked it in a parking garage in Houston and taken a shuttle down.

Btw, there is one small parking garage directly across from the port.

As long as you are on level 3 or higher...it would probably be fine.

But I would not have parked it on an open lot.

Another good reason not to go today:)

Happy sailing to all that choose to do so - just looking at the pictures of Ecstasy trying to outrun that other hurricane scared me, but I'm a wuz. I'm really surprised that they are sailing.... gulp, have fun.

ps - we have offices in Houston too, and they are sending people home, and I just heard that they are closing the building, a big skyscrapper downtown.

No, you are not a wuss. Everyone has different tolerance levels.

None better or worse...just different!!!

I am not however surprised that they are sailing. The Conquest went out a day before Gustav hit.

We were at Harbor House on that Monday and the weather was beautiful.

We could have easily boarded the Ecstasy on schedule. But Carnival wanted to play it safe. So they delayed it until Wednesday.

Now I feel like the Sunday run of the Conquest will have the option of cancelling or taking a shorten cruise ... if Galveston is not hit to hard.

Since the Ecstasy is cruising a regular schedule I don't think cruise insurance will work. All I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the port to be closed on Sunday then hopefully we can have a $249.00 6 day cruise on the conquest.plus I really don't understand all the people afraid I'd be on the Ecstasy in a heartbeat.

[quote name='KRUISE KING']Since the Ecstasy is cruising a regular schedule I don't think cruise insurance will work. All I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the port to be closed on Sunday then hopefully we can have a $249.00 6 day cruise on the conquest.plus I really don't understand all the people afraid I'd be on the Ecstasy in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Usually it isn't just people being afraid of the cruise...sometimes they have homes in the path of the hurricane that they simply can not leave for a week.

The only saving grace for Ecstasy cruisers who did not go and that have cruise insurance is that fact that Galveston did issue a mandatory evacuation for Thursday.

I have heard noon and I have read in the paper 2PM. But it was mandatory...so "perhaps" that would have some sway with the insurance company.

We sailed out of Galveston a day before Katrina hit. Knowone seemed to worry. The seas were a little rough leaving the first 24 hours. Lots of people were sea sick but we never saw rain. The Captain did a wonderful job keeping us away from it. If you park a EZ Cruise the parking lot is up on a hill but not surrounded by concrete.

Each travel insurance policy is different, however, just read the one that I sometimes use. It does cover if your home is made uninhabitiable by a hurricane (don't think it covers that you are worried something might happen). And it does cover trip cancellation if there is a mandatory evacuation order. So some folks probably are covered in their insurance policy if everyone has been told to evacuate Galveston Island before the ship sailed. Otherwise my policy would not cover the possible evacuation order or damage to come.

Good Luck all and Have a Safe trip.

If you cancel and the cruise sails, your trip insurance will not cover you as you made no attempt to get on the ship. Using your home as justification wont work either as the home has to be destroyed/damaged before you sail. Now there are some policies that have a "cancel for any reason" clause but most do not.

As far as the photos, the Ecstasy and the Sensation were not trying to outrun Rita. They left New Orleans and were going to try and go up the Mobile River for safety. Remember this was during their time with FEMA. The pilots were not able to get on the ships to bring them up the river so they opted to ride it out at sea. The only people on the ships was a reduced crew and some FEMA reps.

Dave

[quote name='spleenstomper']We just had our first Ike feeder band squall here in Central Louisiana.

I wonder how much rain they are going to have on this cruise. (I wouldn't necessarily care... just wondering aloud....)[/QUOTE]

Better check your meterology....Ike is too far south right now for you to be getting any more than a generic summer shower. The cloud shield they just showed on tv isn't up to LA.

Archived