Rccl Policy In Case Of Hurricane

jolly3

We just got off Enchantment (9/6 sailing) and they had to cancel our stop in Grand Cayman because of Ike. Their stance was that our contract states they can change the ports or schedules at any time. They DID extend us all a refund of our port fees and taxes that we paid for Cayman in the form of OBC. It was like $18 per person.

The way I see it, cruising during hurricane season is cheaper for a reason. So, if you're willing to be a little more flexible and "go with the flow" you won't be AS disappointed. :D

Does anyone know RCCL's policy in case a cruise has to be canceled or itinerary changed?

We don't cruise for a few more weeks but I'll admit with all the weather I'm a little apprehensive.

If a cruise is canceled entirely, you'd be refunded your money. Same if a cruise is shortened, you'd be refunded the price per day.

However, if an itinerary has to be changed, the cruiselines do not have to compensate you anything. If they miss a port and do not substitute another one, you'd get a refund of the port charges for that port.

As the previous poster said, this is one of the risks of cruising during hurricane season, and its why the cruisefares are much lower than at other times of the year. Just go into your cruise with an open mind, that you'll be getting a full cruise even if the ports end up being changed somewhat.

BTW - I always cruise during hurricane season (the end of August), and thankfully, have never had an itinerary altered. To me, it is well worth the risk to have lower cruise fares.

A few years ago we had a cruise shortened because of a hurricane (the ship couldn't get into Miami). Our stop in Belize was cancelled. We were given $200 on board credit, plus 50% off a future cruise which we took the following year -- in hurricane season!

SeaBaby

Tropical Storm Fay caused several cruiselines to stay away from Port Canaveral, so those ships docked in Port Everglades (about 2 hours south). Passengers returning home were bussed back to Port Canaveral, and passengers departing those days were bussed to Port Everglades.

It seems like the cruiselines do whatever it takes to try to give everyone their holiday. We like to cruise during hurricane season because of the great deals and hot weather, but as others have said, you have to be prepared for plans to change!

Archived