Is ordering multiple entrees, appetizers & desserts really necessary?

nycruise

"When it comes to lobster tails, one or two is not enough! I get at least 3 servings."

I totally agree with that. No offense, but the cruise is the only place that I know I can eat as much lobster as I want. I LOVE lobster and am excited to see that King Crab Legs have been added to the menu as well.

Call me low rent all you want -- I'll still order whatever I want and be happy. And I won't bother paying attention to what you are or are not ordering. It's none of my business and vice versa.

"I know this topic will cause a host of varing opinions, but I always find it interesting why some (very few actually) feel the need to order multiple entrees, appetizers and desserts from the dinner menu. I know people say they want to sample the different offerings, but isn't 24/7 food for seven days enough of a variety? It always seems kind of low rent to me, but that's just my opinion."

Just gotta love those busybody, judgmental types! Funny though they are never around when it is time to pay for our cruises, only when it is time to tell us how we should enjoy them!

[quote name='DesrtDrmr']I have seen people order two of something only occasionally, and who cares? They dont do it all the time, just when it is one of their favorites..... I cant' eat seafood, so someone else can have my lobster, etc............. :)[/QUOTE]
I generally don't even order an item from every course ... I'll maybe have the soup, but skip the salad ... or an appetizer, but no soup or salad ... but that's only because I simply can't eat that much at one sitting. I have to select just those items that most appeal to me. Heck, usually I don't even have room for dessert and therefore just ask the waiter to bring me coffee while everyone else is enjoying theirs.

On the other hand, my father (at 90+, by the way) can really pack it away ... and if I can ever get him to join me on a cruise, I know he'll be the first one ordering multiple items from the menu, and eating them all too! :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I think it's the "I'm not paying for it syndrom". Too many times I've seen folks ordering 4 appetizers and taking only a bite or two from each, 2 soups, a couple of spoonfulls from each, 3 (or 4) main courses, a couple of bites from each, and 2-3 desserts, same thing. When all is said and done, they probably actually ate less than I did, but it seems like such a waste of food. If one were "paying" for dishes, like in a restaurant, I don't know anyone who would order multiple dishes (and pay for them) but only take a bite or two from each. Too bad they didn't do up a "sampler plate" that consisted of only a forkfull or two of each choice.

[quote name='marco']I think it's the "I'm not paying for it syndrom". Too many times I've seen folks ordering 4 appetizers and taking only a bite or two from each, 2 soups, a couple of spoonfulls from each, 3 (or 4) main courses, a couple of bites from each, and 2-3 desserts, same thing. When all is said and done, they probably actually ate less than I did, but it seems like such a waste of food. If one were "paying" for dishes, like in a restaurant, I don't know anyone who would order multiple dishes (and pay for them) but only take a bite or two from each. Too bad they didn't do up a "sampler plate" that consisted of only a forkfull or two of each choice.[/QUOTE]

If I order 2-3 servings of an entree, I don't leave over anything!!! LOL!!!

Minette

I would love a sampler plate.

I know I'm guilty when it comes to desserts of not being able to make up my mind sometimes. I do ask if I can have a smaller portion of each and on my Coral cruise, they were more than happy to accomodate me so for that I'm grateful. Other lines I've had them say ok, and still bring out two full sized desserts LOL I understand with some desserts it's hard to split one, but with some it just involves cutting of a smaller piece of something or using a smaller scoop.

I'll never forget one of my first cruises I made the mistake of saying, wow, everything looks so good I don't know what I want. To which my waitress replied, I will take care of that. She brought me one of everything on the dessert menu :eek: The entire table was giddy tho as we all got to sample everything so that was actually a lot of fun :)

Where is Srphnx...he would be all over this thread!! :D :D
I have to admit...I used to be "a little" embarrassed when my husband wanted to order extra! Now I say "GO FOR IT"!!
I think the sample plate would be a great idea. I'm a rather "fluffy" woman..but I still can't eat a whole lot at one sitting. Just don't like the horrible "Stuffed" feeling.

We usually travel with other family or very good friends, and the way we handle things that we'd like to taste but are afraid to order ourselves is to order one for the table. We pass the items around and anyone who wants to taste can. If you really like the item, then you can order one for yourself. As for items that you KNOW you love--then go for it--order as many as you think you can eat. This is one of the big differences between cruising and a "regular" vacation.

Archived