Wishful thinking But its time for RC to reduce or eliminate the fuel surcharge

Silashenry

Plus, because of the way it was implemented - a surcharge - I think it is going to be really difficult to remove because of how far out passengers make resrvations. If they haven't already, the cruiselines will have to implement a non-refundable deposit. Cuz I'm pretty sure there is not a single person on this board who will not cancel and rebook a cruise as soon as the surcharge is reduced or lifted.

Unless you're like me and made your original reservation almost 2 years ago.

There was already a thread started on this very subject today. Please search for it before starting another. I don't think we need two. And oil was not at $150 when it went into affect. It was close to that when it got raised to $10 pp. It started at $5 pp, and has been raised twice.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=845303

Obviously, the fuel surcharges were added to enable RCCL to recoup their fuel costs, but just why do they implement a fuel surcharge as opposed to just raising the basic cruise fare?

I asked that question several times before I got an answer, and it actually works to the passengers advantage, if you look at it this way. If they raise the cruise price, then that increase also creates an tax increase. The surcharges are not taxed.

My personal opinion they will drop the cruise fare before removing the fuel surcharge...........prior to the cruise lines implementing the charge I had gone on several land vacations and 2 river cruises all had fuel surcharges and this was 2-3 years ago..........the cruise lines are playing catch up.

There was already a thread started on this very subject today. Please search for it before starting another. I don't think we need two. And oil was not at $150 when it went into affect. It was close to that when it got raised to $10 pp. It started at $5 pp, and has been raised twice.

I don't think another link bring this to the attention of the many watchful eyes of RCL of the cruiser's concerns on this topic would really hurt.

Heck, I even looked at the link you provided and found your contribution there"

"Do a search on this topic please. There are many discussion on this. No, they will not decrease anytime soon. It may be lower, but considering it use to be $37 a barrel, it is still at record highs. It will have to go way down, and stay that way for a long time before they drop the charges. And RCI is not stupid. They know it will go back up again. It always does now. Wait until after the election and you will see. This question has been getting asked at least once a week lately."

I feel if I go back to those other links I would find the same thing said there... kind of like looking at a picture of a mirror in a mirror in a mirror... well.. you get the picture.

With that said RCL is getting hammered by fuel costs and to remain profitable they are taking proactive steps rather than drastically decreasing the quality of the product (unless we follow the $14.95 steak link). I don't have a problem with this and was quite willing to pay the fuel surcharge when it was presented to me as part of the cruise price. However, I can also see a scenario where oil futures drop far enough that cruisers have trouble believing that diesel prices are not artificially inflated, such as crude prices were elevated by speculators for the first part of this year.

These threads provide a forum to discuss or gripe about this issue... so I see nothing wrong with that...

Regards,

Rich in Cincy

I don't think another link bring this to the attention of the many watchful eyes of RCL of the cruiser's concerns on this topic would really hurt.

Heck, I even looked at the link you provided and found your contribution there"

"Do a search on this topic please. There are many discussion on this. No, they will not decrease anytime soon. It may be lower, but considering it use to be $37 a barrel, it is still at record highs. It will have to go way down, and stay that way for a long time before they drop the charges. And RCI is not stupid. They know it will go back up again. It always does now. Wait until after the election and you will see. This question has been getting asked at least once a week lately."

I feel if I go back to those other links I would find the same thing said there... kind of like looking at a picture of a mirror in a mirror in a mirror... well.. you get the picture.

With that said RCL is getting hammered by fuel costs and to remain profitable they are taking proactive steps rather than drastically decreasing the quality of the product (unless we follow the $14.95 steak link). I don't have a problem with this and was quite willing to pay the fuel surcharge when it was presented to me as part of the cruise price. However, I can also see a scenario where oil futures drop far enough that cruisers have trouble believing that diesel prices are not artificially inflated, such as crude prices were elevated by speculators for the first part of this year.

These threads provide a forum to discuss or gripe about this issue... so I see nothing wrong with that...

Regards,

Rich in Cincy

That is exactly my point. The same thing has been said over and over and over. Kind of redundant. Keeping the same thread going with contributions is one thing. But starting thread after thread on the same topic is too much. RCCL would get the picture if we kept one thread going on the same topic.

I know you are all going to jump down my throat, but considering what we pay for a cruise the amount of the surcharge is peanuts. It is very simple, the longer you are on the ship, the more you pay; but even that is capped. We should be so lucky we our SeaPass accounts. Good Sailing, Murf.

I know you are all going to jump down my throat, but considering what we pay for a cruise the amount of the surcharge is peanuts. It is very simple, the longer you are on the ship, the more you pay; but even that is capped. We should be so lucky we our SeaPass accounts. Good Sailing, Murf.

I am right there with you. It is very fair and I don't see it going away any time soon. The cruise lines need to make a profit as well. If people don't want to pay it, go on a land vacation and think that you aren't paying it there (because you are). We are paying the oil price increase in everything we do and buy today.

Obviously, the fuel surcharges were added to enable RCCL to recoup their fuel costs, but just why do they implement a fuel surcharge as opposed to just raising the basic cruise fare?

Another reason that it is not in the cruise fare, is that the TA's get commision based on the cruise fare only. They do not get paid on the taxes and surcharges. The rates would have to be increased enough to offset the commision as well.

I asked that question several times before I got an answer, and it actually works to the passengers advantage, if you look at it this way. If they raise the cruise price, then that increase also creates an tax increase. The surcharges are not taxed.

honestly it has nothing to do with the taxes, it is all about the commission. The cruise lines do not pay commission to travel agents on port charges, taxes, fuel surcharges or any of that other stuff they tack on, so if they added it to the base fare, then they would have to pay the travel agents more.

ok, here's my 2 cents worth.....

the fuel surcharge will not be lifted for awhile, not just because of the price of oil, but because the economy is hurting so bad. look at it like this....i saw on there sale page yesterday, a 5 day cruise for 219 int, and a few 4 night cruises for 129 int. what kind of a profit are they really making if the cruise fare is that low?? i'm sure there not, or a very very small profit. while the fares keep dropping, the fuel charge will stay because that is guaranteed money. if that makes any sense to anyone....

does the fuel charge suck? YES do i understand why they implemented it? YES

GREG

Fitz...if you aren't interested in the thread, then just pass it by. Obviously it gained enough interest and attention to get several looks and posts.

Thank you to the OP for starting the thread. I haven't been on for some time and was wondering what was going on with the fuel surcharges.

Thank you to the OP for starting the thread. I haven't been on for some time and was wondering what was going on with the fuel surcharges.

Actually, I'm on the boards way more than I should be - (Will November ever get here?) but I've only noticed the 2 posts this week about reducing/removing the surcharge.

But I do live in the state of Denial and the town of Oblivious. ;)

Archived