Forward walkway on A/B/C decks? Public?

lanoitarus

Hi All,

I've never been on board a princess cruise, but will be taking one on the ruby princess in january. I have a question regarding the ships layout for any of you who have been on this ship or a sister ship. In pictures, there is pretty clearly a small, rounded walkway in the front of the ship below the bridge on the Aloha, Baja, and Caribe decks. My question is, is this publicly accessible? If so, is the access from the hallways with the rooms? (will there be people walking by my room at the end of, say, C deck, to get to this balcony?).

I also have the same question regarding the large trapezoidal deck above the bridge (which looks like its part of Lido deck): Is this accessible to the public, and if so, do people walk past the rooms on Lido to get to it?

Here is a picture of what im talking about, in case it was unclear:

http://i35.tinypic.com/2utpyyf.jpg

Thanks so much for your help!

I have not cruised on one of Ruby's sister ships as yet but there has been discussion on other threads of people enjoying the "Winged Deck" that you call trapezoidal at sail away and they said they walked past cabins to enter. I do know that the rounded walkways are accessable on the Coral and Island Princess and again you walk past the cabins and enter the deck through a door at the end of the hallway. Hope this helps.

Finally figured out how to post an image, yeesh... heres what im talking about:

2utpyyf.jpg

Papermaker: Thanks, that helps a lot. The "winged deck" looks really cool to me, I cant decide between avoiding it cause of crowds on my hallway or wanting to be right there to get to it easily :-/

I wouldn't worry about crowds in the hallway for those forward decks. 3 times on Grand and sibling ships and never went there are talked to anyone who did. I really wouldn't want to be out there at sea, as others have said about the wind.

The area above the bridge is usually accessible while in port and during sailaway. We have been on the Grand class over bridge decks while at sea but it depends on whether we were sailing into or with the wind. As mentioned it can get very windy and if it is they usually close access. They also may close access to the bow deck too if it is windy.

You should be able to access the bridge wings by going through the forward doors on Lido deck during the sailaway. Great spot for photos of the ship from an unusual perspective. But, as everyone has said, hang on...it can be windy.

There are forward areas on Coral/Island that are sometimes accessible, but I don't believe the areas you marked on Ruby are public areas.

Enjoy your cruise!

The deck above the bridge is accessed by going all the way forward on the Lido Deck. If the weather is bad they will not let you out there. It is a great spot to be when leaving port (usually you are out there with other CC members since we seem to be the few who know about this!) The decks below the bridge are crew decks and are not open to the public. The forward part of the Emerald Deck is in fact part of the Promenade (the Promenade Deck does not wrap all the way around the front of the ship).

Archived