Carnival Victory - Southern Cruise

t2digital

This cruise has so many stops it is overwhelming to even begin thinking of shore excursions.

Can anyone give me input about the ship itself? This is our 2nd cruise but first time on Carnival. Just looking for any input. We are in room 6298 (Upper Deck).

This cruise has so many stops it is overwhelming to even begin thinking of shore excursions.

Can anyone give me input about the ship itself? This is our 2nd cruise but first time on Carnival. Just looking for any input. We are in room 6298 (Upper Deck).

Hey that is our cabin for the February cruise! When are you going? Which ever one of us is first will have to takes pics for the other. A far as excursions there is quite a bit of info on the Ports of Call boards. Also my sister in law got a dvd at her library with all of the ports and points of interest for the So. Caribbean.

We did the Southern on the Destiny back in May. Toward the end of the cruise we were kind of exhausted but it was well worth it-I can sleep when I get home.

Since we were on a different ship (the Destiny) and it has been 7 years since I was on the Victory I don't know much about the ship.

We had the Fantasea excursion booked for the last stop (St Kitts) and ended up cancelling and just going on the city tour. So pace yourself.

One excursion I highly recommend is the Cosol Tour in St. Lucia-we have been on over 25 cruises and this was hands down the best excursion we have ever been on. He is an independent operator and you can google to get his website and make reservations.

This is great information. Thanks for sharing. THe Cosol (sp) looks really cool.

The website (CA blog was terrific).

I'll be doing a lot of reseach and planning....9months. Woohoo

9 months... Sounds like we will be in the cabin first. I will be sure to take lots of pics to share!

This is great information. Thanks for sharing. THe Cosol (sp) looks really cool.

The website (CA blog was terrific).

I'll be doing a lot of reseach and planning....9months. Woohoo

Another recommendation for Cosol! We had the best time with him and his company!

We did river tubing in Dominica booked through Wacky Rollers. You can book a river tubing excursion through the ship, but booking directly through Wacky Rollers is cheaper and they run their excursion rain or shine. Carnival's tour has been known to cancel during the rain, which is usually fleeting showers.

We did the BOSS Excursion in St. Thomas, which is an underwater scooter ride and snorkeling. We booked through Carnival as BOSS can not take reservations privately if you are arriving by ship.

Got married in Barbados, so didn't see much except for Foul Bay Beach where we got married and Bathsheba Beach, which was across the street from the restaurant we ate at.

In Antigua, we caught a taxi and went to Runaway Beach.

We were on Destiny though, so I can't answer the questions about the ship. I do have pictures from our excursions in my signature. The link will take you to my review and the picture link is in the review.

HTH :)

Thanks for sharing your post and pictures. It does look like you had a great time and congrats on getting married. I'm super excited about Barbado's and St. Lucia for the scenery alone.

Do you think 10 year old girls could endure the Cosol tour or would it be too long for them? I really want to do it but don't want to make myself miserable with the ever lasting when are we going back to the pool question. : )

Thanks for sharing your post and pictures. It does look like you had a great time and congrats on getting married. I'm super excited about Barbado's and St. Lucia for the scenery alone.

Do you think 10 year old girls could endure the Cosol tour or would it be too long for them? I really want to do it but don't want to make myself miserable with the ever lasting when are we going back to the pool question. : )

Do not miss the Cosol tour. If the 10 year old girls enjoy travelling and learning about the people and places they visit - then they will love it. If they are all about the pool and mini golf - prepare them for a worthwhile trip with Cosol (do not miss it).

We were on the Destiny back in June, it was the same itinerary. The ports were worth the visit, however I have few hints for you.

Dominica - If you choose a tour which stops at both Emerald pool and Trafalgar fall, you will be wasting a lot of time of the road and the driving condition wasn't ideally smooth. Trafalgar is much close to the port. We had 24 in our group, 10 kids from 12 - 18 and had our private tour. They enjoyed the fall but could not endure the driving, 4 kids stayed on the ship on the next day when we docked at Barbados.

St. Lucia - We did not book Cosol tour, but had our private tour, did the same road but less stops. The driving was too long, two got car sick 1/2 way and 1 at the end of the trip. Make sure to let her sit up front.

MTV

We "found" this ship/itinerary the other day when we were just looking around for something different and it sounds BUSY but I would LOVE a cruise that has a port every single day! We're planning on booking this itinerary in 2010. I just hope/wish that it's not on the Victory.

I'm going to follow your thread and take mental notes to remember.

Have a great time! I am envious!!!

We "found" this ship/itinerary the other day when we were just looking around for something different and it sounds BUSY but I would LOVE a cruise that has a port every single day! We're planning on booking this itinerary in 2010. I just hope/wish that it's not on the Victory.

I'm going to follow your thread and take mental notes to remember.

Have a great time! I am envious!!!

Why not the Victory? Why do some of you treat her like the unwanted step-child of the family?:rolleyes: Is there something I should know?

There's nothing wrong with the Victory.

Just my personal preference.....I don't care for the ship for my own reasons. It is a nice ship.

Maybe she's my red headed stepchild....but she can be your pride and joy! :D

On a side note....we were in cabins 8210 and 8208 (balcony and interior) and they were great cabins! This was prior to the most recent renovations.

We sailed on the Victory Jan. 2007. It is a wonderful ship. I love the glass elevators & the lobby bar & desk area outside of the lobby bar.

You'll have a great time.

We are booked on the Victory again for the March 29, 2009 Southern Carb. sailing. Any excursion, day planning information would be much appreciated. Also golf course recommendation and best no excursion island. We've sailed on the Victory 2 years ago and enjoyed the ship, met a lot of nice people.

Last year Destiny Dec. 19 - Almost the same cruise.

Things I would do this time if I went again:

1) First day on board, check out the ship's stores. A number of items we bought on the islands could have been bought at the same price or lower onboard and we would not had to carry them for half a day either.

2) Bring your own water bottle, or on the first trip off the ship Carnival sells a good size bottle of water with holders at the doors - BUY IT! Remember to refill for the rest of the week from the ship's drink fountains with lots of ice. It gets hot on some of the tours, and unless your tour stops at a local store the drinks are expensive.

3) Check out the tours as early as you can, and book early if possible. We missed out on some good stuff because we did not.

4) Bring ziplock bags for any sandwiches you are taking off the ship with you.

1) First day on board, check out the ship's stores. A number of items we bought on the islands could have been bought at the same price or lower onboard and we would not had to carry them for half a day either.

2) Bring your own water bottle, or on the first trip off the ship Carnival sells a good size bottle of water with holders at the doors - BUY IT! Remember to refill for the rest of the week from the ship's drink fountains with lots of ice. It gets hot on some of the tours, and unless your tour stops at a local store the drinks are expensive.

3) Check out the tours as early as you can, and book early if possible. We missed out on some good stuff because we did not.

What did you do on each island and what do you think you missed out on or would change. Thanks for the water bottle idea!

We're booked on the Victory in January and can't wait. We've been to all of the islands except Antigua, can't wait to be at a different island every morning!

We will be onboard a couple of weeks after you, I will be expecting a full report!;) This will be our first balcony, cabin 6298 upper deck.

Thank you! :)

If they are prone to motion sickness, I would say no. The twists and turns of the roads, along with the elevation, are a lot to handle for someone with that propensity. Otherwise, I think they'd be fine if riding in a van and seeing the sights is something they'd enjoy. You will make a stop at the beach for an hour or so to cure the swimming itch! :)

Fresh foods (sandwiches, fruit, etc...) are not permitted off of the ship for local agricultural reasons. If you need to bring a snack, prepackaged ones are allowed.

Archived