Room to pool in bathrobe?

FLJudi

Is it tacky to use your bathrobe (provided) as a coverup on your way to the pool/spa? I don't want to offend anyone, but would like to simplify my packing and not bring an extra coverup if not needed. We've travelled Celebrity several times before, but always on port intensive cruises where we didn't use the pools, so I never noticed what people wore. Thanks to all of my CC friends for helping with even the silliest inquiries.

FLJudi

IMO, no. It's a bathrobe, not a pool coverup. Won't ruin my cruise :) , but I don't think it's appropriate outside the cabin. A coverup shouldn't take up much more room than a shirt -- you can get something like a cotton knit knee-length tee- or tank-type (Land's End has lots of styles). :cool:

No one went to the buffet in robes,or wandered around the ship. They just used them when getting out of the hot tub or Tpool and went back to the cabin to dress. It was too cold for a cover up on top of a wet bathing suit. The robe seemed to be the best thing in a cold climate.

Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I did in one night (later in the evening - maybe 9 pm?) on our Constellation cruise and received a lot of stares. Later I noticed a note in Celebrity Today indicating that the robes weren't to be worn around the ship. I just pulled one out and here's what it says:

Please be reminded that bathrobes are not to be removed from your stateroom or from the AquSpa and worn in public areas of the ship.

Although it would have made life easier, I didn't wear the robe to the pool after that. I don't think anyone would come right out and reproach you, but it's discouraged.

I loved wearing mine at night to go to the hottubs and then instead of wrapping the towel around me i used the bathrobe. Now this was on Rci, but I plan on doing the same when i try X for the first time. I would wander around in it to the clubs, dining or other locations, but it sure was great to wear to the pool and then back. I never put the robe on and went for a coffee, but I did wear it outside the cabin.

They have a very nice dressing room next to the TPool complete with lockers. It was easy enough to quickly change. I have never seen anyone wearing a bathrobe from the TPool but that certainly does not mean that people don't do it. With all the weight restrictions on suitcases it does seem to be an attractive alternative to packing a coverup. Really, the dressing rooms were very nice. They even have a sauna inside.

Well, you'll all get a chuckle out of my 18 year old son last October on RCCL ....

He begged and pleaded with me to let him pack my Bath and Body Works Hot Pink bath robe! He wanted to wear it to the pool and make a statement! He liked the idea of the shock factor I guess!

Stephanie :cool:

Don't wear the bathrobe outside your cabin, you just might meet the Captain of the Ship and his first officer in the elevator. Yep! That is what happened to me.

This happened on Century on a Baltic cruise with my extended family. My cousins said they wore their robes on their way to the spa for a 9:00 pm appointment. They said no one saw them and it was ok for me to wear my robe too to my late evening appointment. Their cabin was on deck 9, mine on

deck 6 I think. Well, I was in the elevator by myself for several decks until the elevator stopped on deck 9 and the Captain, who is very good looking, and his first officer joined me. The Captain stared straight ahead, but the first officer just stared at me like I must be crazy. They were dressed very formal and me in my bathrobe. They exited the elevator on deck ten and bid me a good evening. I think I must have turned a few shades of red from embarrassment.

The next day I saw my cousins and told them what happened.

NEVER WEAR YOUR BATHROBE OUT SIDE YOUR CABIN!!!!!!

Just thow on a extra large T. There are lots on swimsuit coverups of every style out there. I personally just throw on a sun dress over top my suit. I agree with the majority, bath robes are for your balcony not the pool. I look and kind of shake my head when I see someone wondering around in their bath robes.

Is it tacky to use your bathrobe (provided) as a cover-up on your way to the pool/spa? I don't want to offend anyone, but would like to simplify my packing and not bring an extra cover-up if not needed. We've traveled Celebrity several times before, but always on port intensive cruises where we didn't use the pools, so I never noticed what people wore. Thanks to all of my CC friends for helping with even the silliest inquiries.

FLJudi

It says very plainly NOT to wear the bathrobes outside of the staterooms. I know you do not really care what other's think, but I do think that folks that wear their bathrobes to the pool and the buffet look silly.

How about just a very large T-shirt? I have a very nice gauze type cover-up that I purchased over the Internet for only $9.99, and it had $1.00 shipping. It rolls up very small, in fact it fits in one of my husband's shoes. Because it is gauze by the time it hangs up for an hour the wrinkles are gone. Your DH or whomever can just wear a T-shirt. Would that work? ;)

De riguer for some on most cruises I've been on is the bath robe in the buffet. They all seem to have that "look at me" expression on their face too. Never have quite got that one. Personally I wouldn't be seen dead in a bath robe outside the cabin. Maybe not having the legs for it is the problem, although that doesn't seem to worry many;)

Phil

It makes me angry that those who think they look acceptable in their ship issue bathrobe ( even a CC variety rather than the lower cabin category issue of robe) swanning around the ship instead of wearing appropriate clothing for the purpose they have in mind...like eating in the buffet.... seem to be unaware of how few of the other pax do it and never seem to wonder why not? Different if X has lost your baggage, then you have an acceptable reason for doing it.

We pack to one bag of 44 pounds each ( if we are flying non budget...less if we are) and still manage to be dress appropriately for most occasions aboard...if I had to pay $25 to bring another bag with a wrap for the pool amongst other extra items, I would gladly do it because it is cheap at the price to have more choice.

We are punished for bringing more than one bag ( unless going to the US) by being charged excess baggage prices.... so $25 seems like a bargain to us. I do not agree that to claim this "lesser allowance/ not willing to pay for more baggage allowance " excuse is the cause of having to wear robes around the ship... sorry ... the rest of us manage somehow !!!

The bottom line is, it's a choice they've made to wear something specifically requested to be only used in the cabin and they choose to ignore the request.

I was on the Millennium in Europe a few years ago. A huge number of Europeans started wearing their bath robes all over the ship. The pool area, buffet, pursers desk, library, gift shops etc. After about two days of this the ship made announcements and advised passengers that it was not appropriate to wear a robe around the ship.

Archived