Room to pool in bathrobe?

FLJudi

I was on the Millennium in Europe a few years ago. A huge number of Europeans started wearing their bath robes all over the ship. The pool area, buffet, pursers desk, library, gift shops etc. After about two days of this the ship made announcements and advised passengers that it was not appropriate to wear a robe around the ship.

My oh my, some people have no tact! I could understand a few uninformed passengers but enough that it meritted an announcement? How tacky! :eek:

IMO, no. It's a bathrobe, not a pool coverup. Won't ruin my cruise :) , but I don't think it's appropriate outside the cabin. A coverup shouldn't take up much more room than a shirt -- you can get something like a cotton knit knee-length tee- or tank-type (Land's End has lots of styles). :cool:

Hi Amapola!

OT, but I love the cartoon in your signature! Gary Larsen is the best & I wish he would start drawing again. Sick mind!

Oh, yes...very, very tacky!! People wearing bath robes to the pool always comandeer many stares. I always felt it looked like a person rolled out of bed and suddenly found themselves at the pool.

There are nice hotels that supply bath robes in the room. I have never seen them worn at the outdoor pool. So why on a cruise ship??

VERY TACKY!

Made worse when men wear the waffle robes with with sandals & socks--only for use in your room...Spa will give you their own robes.

Bring a cover up for the pool/hot tub--even a shirt will do but the robes are really bad looking!

I just completed my 18th cruise and this last one was the first time I saw people wearing bathrobes around the pool and spa. It was my first trip in Europe, the Baltic, and I chalked it up to European passengers of which there were many on board. I never saw people in bathrobes on all my Caribbean cruises and a cruise to Alaska. I did think they looked silly.

After several days and additional posting about not wearing robes all over the ship, it finally let up.

This same large group (400+) of Greek passengers also would stand in front of the elevator lobby's in groups and smoke. They also left the dining room after their salads and stood in front of the dining room doors in groups and smoked. After two days and numerous complaints, the ship posted signs everywhere and it stopped.

Is it tacky to use your bathrobe (provided) as a coverup on your way to the pool/spa? I don't want to offend anyone, but would like to simplify my packing and not bring an extra coverup if not needed. We've travelled Celebrity several times before, but always on port intensive cruises where we didn't use the pools, so I never noticed what people wore. Thanks to all of my CC friends for helping with even the silliest inquiries.

FLJudi

I've read all the answers to your original post. Personally, while I can see the differing points of view, I think wearing your robe is just like going to Canyon Ranch or some other fancy resort. It wouldn't bother me in the least to see someone with a bathrobe on at the pool deck. I think it would look casually-chic, personally. I also think it looks better than a long tee shirt. But again, mine is just ONE more opinion. However, since the posters say the policy is NOT to wear it out of the cabin...I would abstain from doing so. I am a rule-follower even when I think the rules are stupid. :) A product of my upbringing, I guess.

I'd rather see someone lounging around the pool in a nice robe than some of the hideous getups and overstretched shorts and bikinis I have witnessed. Again, just one person's opinion. ;)

How strange that there should be so much upset over this!. Traditonally (at least in my old country!) an absorbment material (towelling) bathrobe is the ideal garment to wear to and from swimming or Turkish BATHS, now more often called pools in some other countries, I believe. Designed to to be worn over wet (and dry) swimming attire to preserve modesty and keep warm - what could be more appropriate than to use the item as provided? Why would one need to use such an item in the privacy of one's cabin (stateroom), anyway? Wearing anything other than a bathrobe for purpose I describe unless it is similarly designed is likely to be unsatisfactory. Almost certainly bathrobes were invented for this purpose. Lets use them.

Archived