Read trip insurance policy careful before buying

lbrush

Please be careful when purchasing trip insurance. Make sure you read the entire policy and hope you understand the fine print. I filed a claim for my missing jewelry and my claim was denied because there was an exclusion for mysterious disappearance. I have worked for an insurance company for 20 years and have never heard of somehitng like this. I filed an appeal and it was denied. They told me it was denied because I did not know the exact date it disappeared which makes it mysterious. I am hoping that the MD insurance commissioner can help. I bought the insurance on insuremytrip.com and the company has a third party administrator processing claims that has a bad record with the BBB.

Please be careful when purchasing trip insurance. Make sure you read the entire policy and hope you understand the fine print. I filed a claim for my missing jewelry and my claim was denied because there was an exclusion for mysterious disappearance. I have worked for an insurance company for 20 years and have never heard of somehitng like this. I filed an appeal and it was denied. They told me it was denied because I did not know the exact date it disappeared which makes it mysterious. I am hoping that the MD insurance commissioner can help. I bought the insurance on insuremytrip.com and the company has a third party administrator processing claims that has a bad record with the BBB.

Can you please tell us the policy and 3rd party administer? I believe it is OK and within CC guidelines (You just can not discuss nor mention TA's).

Thanks.

Regarding your issue, wouldn't your homeowners policy kick-in here? Only my scheduled jewelry is covered for mysterious disappearance and I have no deductible for these scheduled pieces.

I'm sorry you lost something on your cruise.

I'd be interested to know the carrier as well.

Travel Insurance is a very specific coverage for specific risk. It is meant to cover risks not normally covered by other types of insurance. It may dovetail some other insurance people have or there maybe areas of overlap coverage but it's by no means all risk or full coverage. I've worked in the industry 30 years. A policy covers what is says, no more no less. File a claim against your HO coverage. There may be coverage there.

• Administrators
Wow, I am so sorry that happened to you. I went on insuremytrip and found some insurance agencies to consider. But, instead of me going through them, I went through the company itself. I wonder if it would be better to do that rather than them and have to deal with 3rd party stuff.

Insure my trip doesn't administer claims. If you purchase a policy at that site you are purchasing it directly from the company, but many companies don't handle their own claims administration, and hire third parties to do it instead.

While insure my trip sells many, many different policies they are not all of the same reliability. Most people just look at the description chart, the price and buy from that without ever reading the DOC.

I like to use tripinsurancestore.com, they limit the policies they sell to the 6 or so BEST companies, so whichever you choose will be good. Plus their website lists the Pros and Cons of each policy, along with an excellent series of explanations of what is covered and what is not, and examples.

I am so sorry to learn you were let down in a big way by your policy--I hope along with you that this will stand as a good lesson for others to READ THE POLICY.

And many travel insurance coverage is "Secondary" which means one has to file a claim with Homeowner's Insurance first.. Homeowner's insurance will also not pay above a certain value for a jewelry item unless it is specifically insured. Evidence of loss is very hard to prove. And after the deductible, it is often not worthwhile to make an Homeowner's policy claim.

I did purchase the insurance on insuremytrip.com and the insurance carrier is TruTravel and the third party administrator in Seven Corners. The jewelry is worth about 800.00 and I have a 500.00 deductible on my homeowners policy so its not woth filing a claim with them.

I have to say Insuremytrip.com did everything they could to help me with this problem.

I did purchase the insurance on insuremytrip.com and the insurance carrier is TruTravel and the third party administrator in Seven Corners. The jewelry is worth about 800.00 and I have a 500.00 deductible on my homeowners policy so its not woth filing a claim with them.

I have to say Insuremytrip.com did everything they could to help me with this problem.

Wow!! The exclusions for baggage loss/damage/theft are quite extensive. AND baggage coverage for both TruTravel policies sold on Insuremytrip.com is secondary coverage. So you would have to turn it in to other insurance (home owner's or file a claim with the ship) before your claim would even be entertained. And even the TruTravel "first class" policy only covers $500 aggregate limit for jewelry.

Sure is cheap, but is sure doesn't have much for coverage. I know this is horrible to say, but be thankful you did not have a medical problem. The exclusions are even more extensive and it is secondary coverage.

Here a couple threads discussing TruTravel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=705749&highlight=TruTravel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=793298&highlight=TruTravel

1. I have use InsuremyTrip once and did purchase TruValue. It is the least expensive one for sure but through Nationwide and has an a plus rating. For a more extensive trip I am looking at CSA Luxe. Btw, I do think it is worth filing a claim on the $800.00 to get back $300.00.

Do you know for future which if any of these travel policies cover mysterious disappearance of jewelery?

I would like the link or more info on the BBB filings?

Wow!! The exclusions for baggage loss/damage/theft are quite extensive. AND baggage coverage for both TruTravel policies sold on Insuremytrip.com is secondary coverage. So you would have to turn it in to other insurance (home owner's or file a claim with the ship) before your claim would even be entertained. And even the TruTravel "first class" policy only covers $500 aggregate limit for jewelry.

Sure is cheap, but is sure doesn't have much for coverage. I know this is horrible to say, but be thankful you did not have a medical problem. The exclusions are even more extensive and it is secondary coverage.

Here a couple threads discussing TruTravel.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=705749&highlight=TruTravel

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=793298&highlight=TruTravel

I will check as I have used them. I believe they are part of nationwide with a high rating.

Btw, I do think it is worth filing a claim on the $800.00 to get back $300.00.

The TruTravel policies are secondary AND there is an aggregate limit of $500.00 for jewelry. So if the OP has a $500 deductible on homeowner's she could get back $300.00 (if Homeowners does not have similar exclusion). If it wasn't "mysterious disappearance, you could most likely get the entire $800.00 back. But the Homeowner's policy would have to be claimed FIRST. And that could jack the rate by more than $300 recovered. A no win situation even if "mysterious disappearance" was not an issue.

Do you know for future which if any of these travel policies cover mysterious disappearance of jewelery?

Take the time to read through the ENTIRE policy. Some of them contain so many exclusions they are essentially worthless. I had a claim on a CSA policy for an expensive bear viewing trip to Hallo Bay about 5 years ago. It was handled very quickly AFTER we finally came to a meeting of the minds about what is a "common carrier" (is a float plane a common carrier). Thank goodness, I am a non practicing transportation attorney and knew where to get the paperwork. Most wouldn't.

The TruTravel policies are secondary AND there is an aggregate limit of $500.00 for jewelry. So if the OP has a $500 deductible on homeowner's she could get back $300.00 (if Homeowners does not have similar exclusion). If it wasn't "mysterious disappearance, you could most likely get the entire $800.00 back. But the Homeowner's policy would have to be claimed FIRST. And that could jack the rate by more than $300 recovered. A no win situation even if "mysterious disappearance" was not an issue.

Take the time to read through the ENTIRE policy. Some of them contain so many exclusions they are essentially worthless. I had a claim on a CSA policy for an expensive bear viewing trip to Hallo Bay about 5 years ago. It was handled very quickly AFTER we finally came to a meeting of the minds about what is a "common carrier" (is a float plane a common carrier). Thank goodness, I am a non practicing transportation attorney and knew where to get the paperwork. Most wouldn't.

But it depends on what you want/expect in a travel policy. We have out of Network Medical. It is not at 100%. I bought TruTravel for a HAL cruise to Nowhere from NY against my DH who said to self insure. It was $67.00 for 2 persons and we were not flying, and there was no hotel and no excursions. I only wanted reimbursement if we could not travel last minute for a medical reason. I knew it did not cover pre-existing. I also thought I was getting Medivac, but found out with all the policies it is only from a port, which in this case would be NY. I normally purchase HAL's policy but this was booked so far in advance, we did not know if we could go on the cruise and HAL's policy has to be paid at deposit and I believe now the lowest price starts at $129.00 or so. In any event the 3 pieces of jewelery (2 watches) we brought are covered under our homeowners for mysterious disappearance at 100%. I guess I won't be using this policy for Antarctica because I want one that covers pre-existing. Also note if you look on insuremy trip there are a lot of ad-ins that can be purchased with this policy, so it's good there is a low cost option.

Archived