HOLIDAY INN at SAN PEDRO PIER

mikeblum

I live in the LA area, and there is the ports o call village where the ships dock. Dont know how far this is from the Holiday Inn, but you can google it. There are a few restaurants at ports o call, havent been to any of them in years but they were good.

Parts of San Pedro can be pretty seedy so I wouldnt recommend too much walking around.

We stayed there--yes very basic but the desk clerk must have liked us & gave us a great suite--two rooms, fireplace, walk out balcony & great views...

We were battling serious jet lag from NY so we took all our meals at a local spot, a few paces down the block at Gaffey's Diner--food was very good (also basic), prices could not be beat & they had great photos on the wall. We met some nice locals.

In the am many cruisers had a near riot trying to get onto the shuttles---sign up early ofr the shuttle & get down to the garage where the shuttle pulls in even earlier--or take a cab & avoid the mess! The port is not the best so be prepared for delays or inefficiency--once on board though it's a nice sailaway..very scenic!

have a fun cruise!

We stayed there last year when we went on a cruise with our adult children. We will be staying there again this year. The rooms are clean. I do not remember where we ate dinner after arriving about 8 p.m. We went to a small local place about 3 or 4 blocks to the right as you went out to Gaffey for breakfast. It was really great food. There are a couple of good places to eat at Ports of Call as mentioned above. We did not use a shuttle nor will we now. We had no issues with dropping off our luggage and getting checked in. Check out this site for some good information.

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/crusshp.htm

The holiday Inn is definitely one of the better places to stay in that immediate area. As some of the earlier posters mentioned the Gaffey st. Diner is a great place to get breakfast, its within walking distance and the food is great.

Try this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=11249152 on http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

You'll find a lot of information on the hotels in San Pedro. The two most popular hotels are Doubletree and Crowne Plaza. Both are 4 star hotels and can bid through Priceline. People have been winning them for around $65-75. I've stayed at both more than once and they offer a free shuttle to and from the port and within a 5 mile radius. Nice hotels. Next April I'll be staying at the Doubletree again. I booked through them for $143 because I wasn't sure if I would win it through Priceline. Crowne Plaza is fine but Doubletree has free parking while you're on the cruise (I didn't book a Park and Sail package because it costs more. I don't need a breakfast or champagne.)

We eat at the Acapulco each time we stay in San Pedro pre-cruise. It's right on the water. We've walked from the Crowne Plaza, but they have a free shuttle. The last two times we stayed at the Doubletree. Even though it's a bit further away, they also have a free shuttle. The Doubletree is on the marina and in a much nicer area for strolling. And, the parking is free!

I live in the LA area, and there is the ports o call village where the ships dock. Dont know how far this is from the Holiday Inn, but you can google it. There are a few restaurants at ports o call, havent been to any of them in years but they were good.

Parts of San Pedro can be pretty seedy so I wouldnt recommend too much walking around.

I have traveled extensively for work. I always made it important to check out local places. I found this to be a very desireable meal and have rarely been led astray. I like to check out on line but I have also found some wonderful places by asking the hotel staff. I agree that I would not eat at the Holiday Inn and it is worth the effort to go out.:)

The restaurant is actually called the Gaffey St. Diner, its about 2 blocks down from the holiday Inn. If you ever watch Food network, they did an episode on Diners, Drive ins, and Dives where they featured this restaurant.

Love to watch that show when I have time. Certainly the Holiday Inn would NOT meet anything on the list. :D

Sounds like if we had dinner on saturday evening at the ACAPULCO restaurant and on sunday morning before leaving for the pier at GAFFET ST diner we should be ok for our meals...i agree io have seen the show on the food network...diners, dives and drive thru's...guy fieori is one of the food channels hottest stars right now along with rachel ray...

I'll be staying at the Doubletree for my third time and eating at the Acapulco for 5th time since cruising out of San Pedro. Both have become a tradition we look forward to. :)

We have stayed at the Double Tree twice. It is a great place and location as you can walk around the Marina. Go eat on the water at Alcapulco's near the Ports of Call.

Originally posted by mikeblum

Sounds like if we had dinner on saturday evening at the ACAPULCO restaurant and on sunday morning before leaving for the pier at GAFFET ST diner we should be ok for our meals

Thats what we did, its nice also because you can see the ship on the walk over for breakfast.

Since the hotel question has been answered...I have slightly off topic one. What is that brown painted motel/thing on the left side of the road as you head down to the port? I think it was a very unpleasant looking Best Western for a while. Last time we sailed it looked like a transient hotel or apartments. Surely it's not a motel anymore, but does anyone know what it is? :)

thanks again for the great input and feed back about the hotel and place to eat...now one last ?...we will be spending the pre-nite at the holiday inn...any places close by to purchase some beer and wine for the pre-nite party...we get into Lax around 1pm and will have plenty of time to get to the hotel and relax...will probaqbly leave for the pier around 11am on sunday monring...WE SAIL ON THE 15TH OF MARCH...ANY OTHERS OUT THERE WITH US...the mexican riviera...on the mos...MARINER OF THE SEAS

Theres plenty of liquor stores in the neighborhood, I think there is a 7-11 right across the street if your looking for beer. Not the greatest area right there, so you might want to hang out for a while at dinner and do your drinking!:D

Archived