Windjammer at Dinner - FOS

We will be on the FOS in April. I have been doing a lot of reading but am very confused about the Windjammer at dinner. I am considering this one or two nights as a relaxed alternative to the MDR. What type of selections are typically offered? All the posts that I have read seem to agree that the Jade section of the buffet will have some limited sushi, most likely a curry, and some other standard Chinese options. For the rest of the buffet some posts give the impression it is a salad bar, hamburgers, steam tray pasta. Others read like they have more typical entree selections, veggies, dessert bar, etc. Can someone share their actual dinner experiences. I read that some of the tables will have a table cloth.

We have always enjoyed the Windjammer alternative for dinner. The Windjammer offers some of the same dishes found in the dining room that night, all though, served in buffet fashion. You will find usually a fish, poultry or beef dish, with the usual side dishes of veggies, mashed potatoes, or rice. There is a salad buffet and a pasta station. There are also kid friendly foods such as pizza, chicken fingers, mac and cheese and hot dogs. Deserts are also similar to DR menu that night and a few extras or staples.

They have table clothes on the tables and the waiters can get you bar drinks and wine if prefer. It is very quiet in the Windjammer at dinner time and I prefer it to the MDR. You go at your own pace and are not stuck there for hours on end. I get to come and go as I please and don't have to spend hours over a single meal. I prefer spending that time at a show or having a nice stroll on deck.

Jade is just as you described on the original post. You can sit in either area, Jade or Windjammer and enjoy your meal.

Give it a try. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the dining room the next night. :)

We will be on the FOS in April. I have been doing a lot of reading but am very confused about the Windjammer at dinner. I am considering this one or two nights as a relaxed alternative to the MDR. What type of selections are typically offered? All the posts that I have read seem to agree that the Jade section of the buffet will have some limited sushi, most likely a curry, and some other standard Chinese options. For the rest of the buffet some posts give the impression it is a salad bar, hamburgers, steam tray pasta. Others read like they have more typical entree selections, veggies, dessert bar, etc. Can someone share their actual dinner experiences. I read that some of the tables will have a table cloth.

We usually have dinner in the Windjammer at least once on every cruise. My experience has been that they dim the lights and put tablecloths on the tables. Many of the same items on the menu in the dining room are usually available in addition to a pasta station and a Mongolian barbecue where you select your meats, veggies and sauce and they will stir fry them for you. We have also had small steaks grilled to order. Although it is still a buffet, it is not nearly as crowded as during breakfast and lunch.

We often see the captain and some of the ship's officers dining there also.

It is a great way to spend a casual, relaxing dinner at your own pace. ;)

Hm, we really have to try Windjammer for dinner next time around. We have always gone to dining room, but Windjammer really sounds like a good option. Especially since we usually have late seating and its such a rush to get to the show after dinner.

Thanks for such quick and detailed responses. I am seriously considering signing up for MTD but eating at least 2 or 3 dinners at the buffet, one night in Chops, and possibly a night in Portofino. DD will be 13 and eats a wide varitey of foods from different cusines. I am sure we will eat in the MDR at least once.

I was looking for more of at your own pace meals this trip. While MTD will give us more flexibility dining timewise I am not convinced it will give me the at my own pace feel I was looking for. After reading a few posts and reviews I was getting very concerned that we were looking at hamburgers and hotdogs. I am also hoping it will give myself and DD some quite time alone on the ship - I am pretty sure I will loose her to the AO teen activities after 8pm most nights. The other bonus is we can stay in our shorts or jeans and tee shirts after excursions. We ate in the WJ for breakfast and lunch 2 years ago but never dinner. I assume that unlike the MDR I will need to pay for milk if my DD wants a glass in the Windjammer. Do you tip the waiters in the WJ at dinner?

Apologies if this seems like a silly question...

We have the early sitting for dinner, which is fine but I also now like the sound of Windjammer for those nights where 6.30 is just too early (like port days, for instance) to maybe get ready for a 'dress' dinner.

So, my question is: do you still have to abide by the dining times? In other words, if we get there at say 7.00 or 7.30, is that ok?

Thanks,

If you go to the buffet, then you may go whenever you choose--but if you were going to a show, that will affect it--as show times are scheduled around dining times.

It's nice to tell your tablemates that you may not be there in the dining room, so they won't be waiting on you!!

On our last cruise out of San Juan, after a week at Disney with our kids and 6 grandchildren, we just wanted to relax and not have to go the formal route or abide by a certain time. We ate breakfast there every day and most of our dinners. We did not step foot in the DR. We did tell them at the beginning of the cruise that we were not going to use the dining room. We also ate at Chops and Portofino (loved them). They had a good selection every night for dinner. I liked the fact that I could mix and match small portions of different foods in Winjammer and not have to order two entrees to get something special.

To add to the rest of the replies, The staff is very attentive at dinner in the WJ and it is very relaxing compared to the frenzy at lunch time. On our last 7 day on FOS we ate there one night so we only had to dress for formal night once. It was nice.

It's nice to tell your tablemates that you may not be there in the dining room, so they won't be waiting on you!!

I agree about telling the dining room if you have a traditional seating - that was one of the reasons I was considering the My Time Dining - no assigned time/table. That way we could do the MDR if we really wanted to but no one would be expecting us each night. I know they prefer you make reservations the night before for MTD but several posters have mentioned doing it the same day. I am sure I would know plans for the next day each evening.

Archived