Will Solstice bring chair hogging to a new level

dkjretired

Me too! I liked Galaxy and Mercury because of the deck space one deck up from the jogging track. It was always quiet up there and more breeze which suited me. Perhaps there'll be a secret spot like that on Solstice/Equinox. Otherwise it's the balcony for me. Never was a great lover of the pool deck.

Phil

Agree. We look for some place away from everyone and use our balcony as well. Look more peaceful that way. Suspect we are not alone. :)

That's another nice area - the designers of this ship really went heavy into the beds & drapes --hope they are kept clean & sanitary. The ones indoors in the Cirque Place on Summit were disgusting after awhile!

Now that the lunch buffet seems further from the pool, DH & I will continue to lunch separately so we can keep our lounges--(do not want one inside the curtains--too enclosed) Our sea days are for lounging poolside & enjoying the band that usually plays a few sets--that's what I am paying for--

our balcony will also be well-used! The indoor pool area also seems like a nice location which we will use--if the sound levels are not too high--

Guess you can always drag a lounger onto the lawn & pretend you are at home for a BBQ!

^^^ you guys eat at the buffet alone, without each other? i'm only going with my boyfriend on this trip, but that's something i'm not willing to do. i'm going on the trip to spend time with him, and eating alone is not my idea of a nice trip. i'll just have to make sure we don't leave our chairs for too long.

that's where i cross the line when it comes to keeping deck chairs, just not willing to compromise eating seperately so one can stay with our stuff. and it's not exactly appealing to me to be eating my lunch out on deck in the hot sun either. i prefer to eat in the cafe.

Perhaps Celebrity should put parking meters on the deck chairs. Your shipboard card will allow you to reserve the chair for 1-1 1/2 hours. Then the meter turns red and the pool cops come around and give tickets to those who have overstayed their allotted time. You want to stay longer, then pay your fine. Give everyone a chance to share the chairs. Why should grownup, civilized people fight over deck chairs? There must be more important things worth worrying about - disease in Africa, genocide in Darfur, poverty and lack of adequate health care in the US. The fines collected by the pool cops could be contributed to some worthy causes that help solve these problems.

Great Idea!

In a perfect world, there would be no chair-saving of any kind except for using the pool or bathroom. If everyone did this, there would probably be chairs available when you came back from lunch or your afternoon nap, etc. You did not pay a rental fee for the chair, so it does not belong to you once your butt comes off the seat. For example, if you are sitting on a park bench, and decide to go across the street for lunch, do you expect everyone to save the seat for you.

I couldn't imagine eating separately in order to save chairs. Life is too short to get hung up on stuff like this. Enjoy the moment!! There will always be a place to sit somewhere.

I could care less about the chair hogs. I believe in karma and those who are selfish and inconsiderate always end up getting it all back in the end. They are just all angry, grumpy people whose need for self importance only masks how fragile and insecure they really are.

haha whoops, meant to say "draw the line" not "cross the line" -- mixed up my words there.

and i agree. the buffet area has always been traditionally near the pool to allow those on deck to take a break from the sun to go get a bite. i prefer not to eat the hamburgers and hotdogs (ew) they have out by the pool. i'll eat the pizza, and i'm really not picky, but i just don't eat hamburgers and hotdogs. a girl who's currently eating a fully organic diet cannot fathom resorting to that stuff after eating fresh, pure foods.

In a perfect world, there would be no chair-saving of any kind except for using the pool or bathroom. If everyone did this, there would probably be chairs available when you came back from lunch or your afternoon nap, etc. You did not pay a rental fee for the chair, so it does not belong to you once your butt comes off the seat. For example, if you are sitting on a park bench, and decide to go across the street for lunch, do you expect everyone to save the seat for you.

no but this example is totally different. someone also crossing the street from a park bench for lunch doesn't leave a towl and other belongings there. everyone is going to have an opinion on this, but in the end i have been on 10 cruises and never had an issue with leaving a seat for too long or coming back to find it taken. i think many people would have a problem if celebrity started a policy that said, "if you leave your chair for any amount of time it's up for grabs." many people do not like the "confinement" of cruising (like my father) -- meaning they don't like eating in the same restaurant, etc, or they feel "trapped" while on a ship. if celebrity said you have to stay with your chair all times in order to come back to it, this is only deepening those restrictions and i think there would be many people having issues with this. it's like sitting out by the pool at a resort. if you leave your things to go have a quick lunch at the pool cafe don't you expect your stuff to be there when you get back? i've traveled a lot in my short life and i just think that if you are gone and back within a reasonable amount of time, the chair is still yours.

no but this example is totally different. someone also crossing the street from a park bench for lunch doesn't leave a towl and other belongings there. everyone is going to have an opinion on this, but in the end i have been on 10 cruises and never had an issue with leaving a seat for too long or coming back to find it taken. i think many people would have a problem if celebrity started a policy that said, "if you leave your chair for any amount of time it's up for grabs." many people do not like the "confinement" of cruising (like my father) -- meaning they don't like eating in the same restaurant, etc, or they feel "trapped" while on a ship. if celebrity said you have to stay with your chair all times in order to come back to it, this is only deepening those restrictions and i think there would be many people having issues with this. it's like sitting out by the pool at a resort. if you leave your things to go have a quick lunch at the pool cafe don't you expect your stuff to be there when you get back? i've traveled a lot in my short life and i just think that if you are gone and back within a reasonable amount of time, the chair is still yours.

Common sense should dictate, the real problem are those who save several chairs for several hours for their whole families or groups. I saw a woman reserve 18 chairs. I don't have a problem with someone going to eat and then coming back. I also don't believe half these people who come on here and say if you aren't there I'll just move the stuff and sit. Its just the anonymous nature of these boards, sounds real manly to say I'll just move the stuff. As in most things use your common sense.

Most of the problems in this world are not created by a situation itself but how it is handled.

Getting back to my original post on this subject, I hope they didn't create a monster with these cabanas and hope they are for rent or purchase so probems aren't created.

Common sense should dictate, the real problem are those who save several chairs for several hours for their whole families or groups. I saw a woman reserve 18 chairs. I don't have a problem with someone going to eat and then coming back. I also don't believe half these people who come on here and say if you aren't there I'll just move the stuff and sit. Its just the anonymous nature of these boards, sounds real manly to say I'll just move the stuff. As in most things use your common sense.

Most of the problems in this world are not created by a situation itself but how it is handled.

Getting back to my original post on this subject, I hope they didn't create a monster with these cabanas and hope they are for rent or purchase so probems aren't created.

i understand the problem is with those who "reserve" chairs for hours at a time, but that's when the staff should in deed step in. and i think celebrity should make note what their definition of a "reasonable amount of time" is and if passengers violate that definition then passengers will have to give up their space should anyone come around for it. if someone is going to "reserve" chairs, they should not be allowed to reserve more than one for themselves and one other person. and by reserve i mean either stay with the chairs or not be gone longer than 25-30 mins. 1 woman reserving 18 chairs for her whole group is obnoxious.

and i agree with your comment when people say, "i'll just move the stuff" -- i liked your descriptive word :)

i think many people would have a problem if celebrity started a policy that said, "if you leave your chair for any amount of time it's up for grabs."

Hey, if everyone left their chairs and it was up for grabs, think of all the free chairs.:rolleyes:

With so much enthusiasm, I'm amazed any of you are still interested in sailing on Solstice. You can flame me if you want, but just go back and read what you've written. No "real" passengers have been on the ship yet, but you seem to be willing to give into a lot of negatives before we hear from the folks who will really use the ship (with another 2799 people) :p

Give it a chance. Or, get up really, really early and grab your seat stay there all day and avoid that extra weight that comes along with your X=Pass. That always works. :D

^^^ i don't think i have been negative really. i have had my concerns but i finally said you know what? no one even freaking knows yet. and i never worried about deck space or chairs on any other cruise, and this ship is bigger with more space, so why should i worry this time? it's just like people screaming about the new menus. they really have no right to complain if they haven't experienced them yet. so i've just learned to sit back and say "whooooo knowwwwwsss!!!!"

We have been at resorts where there were similar "beach beds". I think they are gross. Who wants to lay on a bed that others have been laying on after they greased themselves up with suntan lotion? Plus all the sweat from being in the hot sun! Yuck!

I wonder how it would go over if on the top deck, chairs were reserved for those in CC, AQ, and suites? I'm just throwing this out there, so put away the flames.

I know some will argue that it wouldn't be fair, but when you figure that those in those classes are paying a premium, why not make that a perk. They could even do a daily registration, through the TV, where you place your reservation on the chair (I'm only suggesting this for a certain number of chairs, not all of them). That way when you are in port and don't plan to be on ship, you don't have to reserve your chairs.

I know there are a thousand "bugs" with this suggestion, but maybe if it was ironed out some more, it could work.

What do you guys think? And if you feel the need to flame this suggestion or me, don't bother commenting. ;)

I wonder how it would go over if on the top deck, chairs were reserved for those in CC, AQ, and suites? I'm just throwing this out there, so put away the flames.

I know some will argue that it wouldn't be fair, but when you figure that those in those classes are paying a premium, why not make that a perk. They could even do a daily registration, through the TV, where you place your reservation on the chair (I'm only suggesting this for a certain number of chairs, not all of them). That way when you are in port and don't plan to be on ship, you don't have to reserve your chairs.

I know there are a thousand "bugs" with this suggestion, but maybe if it was ironed out some more, it could work.

What do you guys think? And if you feel the need to flame this suggestion or me, don't bother commenting. ;)

That idea would not allow the pool deck(s) area to be used in common for all guests and would prohibit its use to a large extent. Not a practical purpose, although I do get the idea to try to expand the perks.

That idea would not allow the pool deck(s) area to be used in common for all guests and would prohibit its use to a large extent. Not a practical purpose, although I do get the idea to try to expand the perks.

I think Adam was referring to the Solstice Deck that I previously posted a photo of rather than the main pool area.

^^^ even still if the ship's pool deck hardly accomodates the passengers on the ship, it's even more restrictive to take a whole deck that potentially has more room for people like us and saying, "you can't come up here."

i don't like it. unless it wasn't too expensive to get that option.

I think Adam was referring to the Solstice Deck that I previously posted a photo of rather than the main pool area.

Ah...my miss. Thanks for pointing that out.

Now...let's talk here about the Solstice Deck for a minute...is there even a bar anywhere near that area for baaaarrrr service ???

I don't think so....:eek:

Suites maybe, but not CC or AQ. CC is uaually $50 or $100 more than 1A which does not really justify much more than the CC amenities.

But look at the price difference between CC and AQ....and AQ gets a private dining room.

I really think this has something to do with booking these cabins. First, they have a gigantic overhang - like living in a cave. Second, they are under most of the busiest areas of the ship. If they really catch on, prices will probably rise to meet demand.

I was talking about the Soltice deck, not the pool deck.....pool deck wouldn't make sense. As far as a bar or anything else you can think of, obviously nothing is perfect. Just throwing ideas out there. I think if they could work it out somehow, it would be a great perk....probably the best perk of them all.

And I would like to know where I can get AQ class for only $50 more.....my booking was well above that.

And I would like to know where I can get AQ class for only $50 more.....my booking was well above that.

Well, you could come on the cruise I'm taking...Solstice, Dec 7,2008. The AQ is $40 less than the SV's.

I was talking about the Soltice deck, not the pool deck.....pool deck wouldn't make sense. As far as a bar or anything else you can think of, obviously nothing is perfect. Just throwing ideas out there. I think if they could work it out somehow, it would be a great perk....probably the best perk of them all.

Equinox - January 4, 2010

AquaClass Cabins - $1749 pp

Concierge Class Cabins - $1699 each

Archived