Baptism on board?

BURWASHT

We are a very large group going on the Crown Princess for a wedding in November. My question is a friend that is joining us asked if it was possible to baptise thier baby on board. All of our family and friends will be on the cruise so this would be a perfect time to have it. He has been in contact with Princess but still has not heard back from them as of yet. Is there a Catholic priest on board the ship? Has anyone ever heard of this before? Any feed back would be appreciated, thank-you!!!

We are a very large group going on the Crown Princess for a wedding in November. My question is a friend that is joining us asked if it was possible to baptise thier baby on board. All of our family and friends will be on the cruise so this would be a perfect time to have it. He has been in contact with Princess but still has not heard back from them as of yet. Is there a Catholic priest on board the ship? Has anyone ever heard of this before? Any feed back would be appreciated, thank-you!!!

There's no guarantee that there will be a priest on your cruise. I've seen only one priest on my 10 Princess cruises - a Greek orthodox priest who was part of a large group. He said Mass on Sunday morning, and all passengers were invited to the service.

Unless you are sailing during a significant observance - Ash Wednesday, Easter, Christmas - I don't think a priest is available on Princess cruises.

Chris

I have to tell you, I have never heard of a baptism done onboard a cruise ship. My guess, this won't be possible.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but the sacrament of baptisim in the Catholic Church is not taken lightly by the Church. In my parish (and many more, where I have visited and read the bulletin), there is an expectation that parents meet with a priest before the baby is born because there are expectations that the parents will raise the child in the faith. If the priest feels that the parents won't take the obligation seriously, they may not offer the sacrament. Additionally, at least one godparent has to be a practicing Catholic (recommendation from their home pastor), with the other at least a baptised Christian. The sacrament is the first of several that Catholics will experieince in their lives. An official record of sacraments are kept at the parish where such sacraments are administered (baptism, first communion, confirmation, marriage, etc.). Try getting confirmed or married at a Nuptial Mass without proof that you received the earlier sacraments!

The beauty and joy of the sacrament of baptism is that the child is presented to God and the community of faith in a church. As much as I love ships, a cruise ship doesn't rise to the same standard.

There are many issues and details the Church wants taken care of before a priest can administer the sacrament under ordinary circumnstances. The only way I think a Catholic priest would consider administering the sacrament on a cruise is if the child became seriously ill or was otherwise suddenly near death and had not already received the sacrament. As

paul929207 pointed out, in an emergency, anyone with serious intent can administer the sacrament of baptism.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but the sacrament of baptisim in the Catholic Church is not taken lightly by the Church. In my parish (and many more, where I have visited and read the bulletin), there is an expectation that parents meet with a priest before the baby is born because there are expectations that the parents will raise the child in the faith. If the priest feels that the parents won't take the obligation seriously, they may not offer the sacrament. Additionally, at least one godparent has to be a practicing Catholic (recommendation from their home pastor), with the other at least a baptised Christian. The sacrament is the first of several that Catholics will experieince in their lives. An official record of sacraments are kept at the parish where such sacraments are administered (baptism, first communion, confirmation, marriage, etc.). Try getting confirmed or married at a Nuptial Mass without proof that you received the earlier sacraments!

The beauty and joy of the sacrament of baptism is that the child is presented to God and the community of faith in a church. As much as I love ships, a cruise ship doesn't rise to the same standard.

There are many issues and details the Church wants taken care of before a priest can administer the sacrament under ordinary circumnstances. The only way I think a Catholic priest would consider administering the sacrament on a cruise is if the child became seriously ill or was otherwise suddenly near death and had not already received the sacrament. As

paul929207 pointed out, in an emergency, anyone with serious intent can administer the sacrament of baptism.

I am Catholic and have to say that my understanding is pretty much the same as this post.

Why don't you consider making arrangements for the Baptism in one of the ports. :)

This seems like an excellent suggestion. I'm not Catholic so I don't know all the requirements, but perhaps they could identify a Catholic church in one of the ports you will be visiting and make arrangements. If your friends communicate with the priest ahead of time perhaps they could confer via phone and reassure him that they are indeed taking this very seriously which is why they are trying to arrange it in such a way as to have family and friends present. I'm guessing that with such a large group they will have appropriate family or friends to stand up as godparents.

It sounds like a lovely idea. I hope it works out.

I'm guessing you're not Catholic? In the Catholic Church, babies are generally baptized within their first week or two of life. (As a premature baby, I was baptized the day I was born.) Princess ships don't allow infants under six months or one year onboard (depending on the itinerary).

As others have pointed out, baptism isn't a matter of finding the perfect venue or audience.

It sounds like the most important thing for you is that your whole family will be there not that you want it ness. on the ship. did you make plans to fly the day before? Have it in the am before getting on the ship. If your family will still be getting there on sailing day you may miss a few so I would wait. I am not sure which islands you are going to but that is a strong option. As this is a large party they all will want to go their own ways each day. Most of the western islands are catholic, maybe as you are gettin on or off ship so as not to lose any family members. Post another thread and you can have my email so I can poss. be of help. I know the areas fairly well. It sounds like the cruise line won't be of much help and they would just charge you lots of money.

Princess does try to have Catholic priests aboard over the Christmas.I am Catholic but can't comment on some of the previous posts as we find the Catholic church in the US to be much more fundamental than that of the Canadian church. I personally find the thought of having the Baptism performed the morning of embarkation quite appealing.

...In the Catholic Church, babies are generally baptized within their first week or two of life.

While this may have been the case many years ago, it is no longer the practice in most suburban parishes. Parents of the infant must go through preparation for the sacrament, and it can be several weeks or even a few months after the baby is born before the Baptism can be scheduled. Our nextdoor neighbors' second child was baptized just last weekend at the age of 3 months just like their first daughter.

Chris

I'm guessing you're not Catholic? In the Catholic Church, babies are generally baptized within their first week or two of life. (As a premature baby, I was baptized the day I was born.) Princess ships don't allow infants under six months or one year onboard (depending on the itinerary).

As others have pointed out, baptism isn't a matter of finding the perfect venue or audience.

I think that standard has changed. I know my own son was baptised at 2 months, which seemed about the norm. However, in attending several baptisms over the past few years, I have seen children up to a year old being baptised.

I do agree that the Catholic Church is still pretty strict on the requirements to receive the sacraments - usually a few required classes by the parents and godparents are required. It may be different in other countries. As a teacher, I have found that most of my Latino students get their First Communion without having to complete the necessary requirements that my son had to complete when he was in 2nd grade. It seems in Mexico or other countries they do things differently.

My question is a friend that is joining us asked if it was possible to baptise thier baby on board.
I think your friend should first check with their parish priest. I don't know how another diocese might handle it, but ours requires that the parents undergo the preparation within the archdiocese where they reside, and that the ceremony be conducted at a parish within the archdiocese.

My children were baptized in the Catholic Church at around 6 weeks of age and this is pretty much the standard now. Most children born of practicing Catholics are baptized by 3 or 4 months of age at the very latest. Since Princess does not allow babies under 6 months of age, I doubt that many Catholics have asked for this service.

I agree that this is definitely something you want done in your own parish. My sons are getting ready for Confirmation and you need the documentation that they have been baptized and had First Eucharist in order to receive the sacrament. All Catholic Sacraments are a big deal and you need to have preparation classes beforehand.

I suggest you have your friend check on the age restrictions for babies on the ship, then check on the feasibility of a baptism.

Archived