Host Mick

Disney Cruise Line Tip Thread

most diffenately yes.

we cruised on may 10th and had 2 appy's each and 2 desserts. i also ordered a side dish of a main pasta dish (couldn't imagine eating 2 main courses)

our dinner lasted 3 hours by choice. we wanted to make it last since dd was in the kids club. we totally enjoyed our time.

Not sure about Palos.

The fridge is cool enough for us to keep water in or pop. If you want extra cold beverages ask your room host for a ice bucket full of ice and put your drinks in it to get icy cold. You can even ask them to bring new ice everyday at a specific time if you want.

don't be affraid to put your kids in the kids club during dinner. it's their cruise too.

our first night i was suffering from motion sickness and couldn't handle my dh telling me to go ask for some shot and dd yacking at me to go to the club. 30 minutes into dinner i gave up, got up, told dd to come with me and dropped her off at the kids club.

SHE LOVED IT.

the cm's make it really easy for you do to this if they know ahead of time - just tell them when you order dinner that you're dropping the kiddies off and they'll rush the kids dinner, you go drop them off and come back for dessert (or main course if your kids really really want to go sooner)

also remember that it's their vacation too and if they want to be in the kids club don't feel bad that you're not spending time with them - enjoy it. there are plenty of adult only things to do that everyone can have a great vacation.

if the elevators are full or taking a while to come - walk. it's a great way to explore the ship. we were on floor 2 and would often walk the length of the ship on one floor or another then would find an elevator that wasn't crowded.

there is plenty of time to spend on cc - no need to rush off to be the first ones off. we had a special brunch in palo and had to get dd off the ship to get back there. after enjoying our brunch we headed back off the ship around 1pm and still had plenty of time to enjoy the beach and water. we weren't interested in the bikes but maybe next time

oh i have 1 more -

we were the last - and i mean last guests off the ship - wasn't on purpose it just turned out that way because we had to clear up some charges on our credit card the last day after a late breakfast time.

this acutally turned out to be the best thing - unless you have a flight - don't rush to get off and get going.

we enjoyed our breakfast, talked to our servers then went to deal with the charges. dd spotted one of the counsellers from the kids club and was playing with him in the loby.

when i realized i haddn't seen any other guests around so we headed out. it was wonderful. we walked off, our luggage was waiting for us. we didn't have to look for a porter, and we walked through customs no sweat.

This thread and others helped us out so much. Thank you! The hanging shoe rack (which we used for shoes and everything else was something that we would have never have thought of) was a god send. I also loved the suggestion to take sausages from breakfast for snorkeling at CC. It was kind of dead until I dropped one by the underwater Mickey-then not so much! :D

A couple of items that I dont remember reading about that we spent waay too much on the cruise- Waterproof cameras and kids swim shirts. We were true beach bums though. Also, as others have said- bring your own snorkeling gear. Its a $25 RENTAL @ CC!

Edited by jenkinswoody

If you plan on taking pictures from your rooms balcony...set your camera out on the balcony on one of the chairs about 5 minutes prior so it will have a chance to defogg.

(I tried to take a pic..ran out on the balcony from the A/C cooled stateroom just to have the camera lens fogg up...missed the picture)

Also bring 3 to 4 big plastic clamps (like ones from Lowes or Home Depot) to clamp on wet clothes to the balcony chairs...clothes pins just aren't big or strong enough.

Hi! I'm new to this forum...My husband, myself, 6 year old daughter and her grandparents are planning our first Disney Cruise! My husband and I have never been been on a cruise, however my in-laws are pretty cruise-saavy (though not on Disney). We would like to go on a 7 day cruise but other than that are a bit overwhelmed by all the choices! Cost is definately a factor, but we would also like to know about best itinerary (Eastern Vs. Western, etc), best time of year, and best excursions :) Maybe some of you have a "Top Ten Things I wish We Knew Before Our First Disney Cruise" List? Any and all thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be welcome! Thank you in advance...Excited Mom

Hi! I'm new to this forum...My husband, myself, 6 year old daughter and her grandparents are planning our first Disney Cruise! My husband and I have never been been on a cruise, however my in-laws are pretty cruise-saavy (though not on Disney). We would like to go on a 7 day cruise but other than that are a bit overwhelmed by all the choices! Cost is definately a factor, but we would also like to know about best itinerary (Eastern Vs. Western, etc), best time of year, and best excursions :) Maybe some of you have a "Top Ten Things I wish We Knew Before Our First Disney Cruise" List? Any and all thoughts/ideas/suggestions would be welcome! Thank you in advance...Excited Mom

Hi Excited Mom,

welcome to the boards here. You will get more responses is you post your question on the main forum page instead of the tip thread.

Just lick on new topic and write it out, then hit submit and thousands of people will see it, where here only a few will see your post.

Be sure and click on Instant e-mail notification below before submitting your post so you will be notified anytime someone responds to you.

Ok now for your question. Both itnearies have good points to them.

We love to crusie in the winter months. Weather is great and NO humidity. The summer has so much humidity it feels twice a shot and can make it miserable to explore the islands.

Usually we cruise the first saturday after Thanksgiving. It is usually a good price. DO not go over aholiday it will be very expensive. But the week before or after holidays seem to be a bit less.

This year lots of their cruises are less than last year. One thing we found out. Other lines are cheaper to book but by the time you pay for all the extras it costs just as much as DCL. Example: Most lines charge extra for pop, DCL its included unless you buy from a waiter roaming by the pools.

Water for swimming is slightly cooler in the winter but not enough to stay out of the water. All the islands are windy all year around and many will have an an afternoon shower, but they only last 15 minutes. It is a warm rain too.

Temps on the islands only vary 5 to 20 degrees from summer to winter but as I said the humidity makes it feel hotter in the summer.

Personally we love the Eastern better due to the extra sea day. So much to do on the ship or just relax. I also think there are a few more things for younger kids to do for excursion on the Eastern as opposed to the Western.

As for things I wish I had knew before I cruised?They are all listed in the tips listed at the atart of this thread. Read them all, it will really help you.

Excursions:

Eastern: for a child of 6 I would say The Butterfly Farm or a beach excursion but remember these are usually clothing optional beaches.

But if you take the water taxi at the pier to the shopping area there si a nice beach to the left and right of the sidewalk there. Very low key and you rent chairs there. But it is nice for little kids to get wet where you can keep a good eye on them. But you will have a beach day on CC so I suggest the Butterfly farm. The ride there gives you a bit of the look of the island and soem tiem to shop at the end of the tour.

St. Thomas I would say Coral world with a semi sub ride is awesome for a kid. You can see all kinds of tropical fish without having to know how to snorkel.

On CC do a bike ride while your there to see the island. They have all sizes of kids bikes with and without traingn wheels and helmets are provided. There are 2 long paved trails and one has an observation tower for a great view of the island. So many people go to the family beach and never see the rest of the island or the grouper game room.

No need to reserve ahead of time for bikes, snorkeling or tubes there. They have tons of them.

Hope that helps you some,

mom x4,grandma x4

We are planning to take my son and daughter-in-law on a 3-4 day Disney cruise (tied to visit to Disney World) next summer. The 3 children range from 4-13. My wife and I cruise a lot (never on Disney) and we have told them this will be a fantastic and memorable trip. My daughter-in-law is concerned about letting the 4-6 year olds to run around the ship. Falling over the rails, etc. Can she talk with Disney Lines and get a good, reassuring answer. Assume from your signature block you have taken many trips with grandkids on Disney. Any comments I can share with them. I understand and empathise with her concern.

We are planning to take my son and daughter-in-law on a 3-4 day Disney cruise (tied to visit to Disney World) next summer. The 3 children range from 4-13. My wife and I cruise a lot (never on Disney) and we have told them this will be a fantastic and memorable trip. My daughter-in-law is concerned about letting the 4-6 year olds to run around the ship. Falling over the rails, etc. Can she talk with Disney Lines and get a good, reassuring answer. Assume from your signature block you have taken many trips with grandkids on Disney. Any comments I can share with them. I understand and empathise with her concern.

Howdy,

Please tell you DIL not to worry. With all the kids on Disney believe me safety is their priority!! One of my daughters was terrified until she got on board about her 2 little kids.

Ok if you get a verandah room , there is NO way they can open that HEAVY glass door. It also locks at the handle and up high enough my husband always has to reach up and unlock it for me. I swear I have to really tug hard to open it. of course she ,may feel better NOT having a balcony which is fine.

Deck 9 has a floor to ceiling plexi glass wall. Ever so often it will have bars instead of the wall but they are close together with tables and chairs for sitting. They are close together so kids cant fall out. I dont think I have ever seen a kid there by the bars?

Mickey pool and the splash zone are both on deck 9 and i promise they are safe.

Deck 10 is the top open deck but also has a tall plexi glass wall for safety. It is chest high on me. I usually rest my elbows on it to look over as we are cruising. Deck 4 is the same way.

But kids usually arnt on the outside decks without parents or grandparents with them. There is nothing to attract them to these areas accept the pools on deck 9. Parents are there to supervise kids in the water.

Kids clubs are deck 5 and that is where the kids will spend most of their time. The do move them around the ship sometimes for special events or to go to the buffet if you sign them up to eat with the club. But it is inside hallways and they use the buddy system as they walk the inside hallways with counselors throughout the line.

The movie theater is also on deck 5 . They always have a kids show or two during the day.

I think I have some photos of the plexi glass wall somewhere. If you think it would help I would be happy to find them so she can see them.

But as far as I know DCL has never lost anyone overboard.

I'm sure she has seen on the news where some idiot has fallen overboard off a cruise ship. Once they investigate they find alcohol was involved and doing something stupid like trying to walk on the railings. These mostly occur on what I call Party ships where most people drink most of the day and then do stupid things.

DCL is safe. I was scared to crusie my first time. I dont swim so boats have always scared me. Before we even left port I wanted to rebook:D and bring the grandkids, which we did. The ships are large and its easy to forget your at sea.

I am sure once your DIL actually sees the pool area and kids clubs she will feel safe and secure. The kids can't check themselves out of the clubs until they are 10 I believe and even then she can revoke that priviledge so they cant leave without her knowing it. So the kids wont be running all over the ship. I truly believe the only way she will get over her fears is to go and see the ship for herself..

Nobody else can check them out of the clubs either unless she tells the counselors and that person must know the secret password. So nobody will come to get your kids out of the clubs accept her too and she will have a beeper so if your child wants you they will beep you.

Kathy

Edited by mom x4,grandma x4

Here is a couple on deck 10 and you can see the height of the wall.

DSC03684.jpg

This is deck 9 and goofy . You can see the floor to ceiling plexi glass wall I told you about behind him and to the right. The whole deck is like this.

DSC03618.jpg

Ok this is deck 9 where bars are. some bars at the corner are open others have plexi glass but you can see how close together they are.

No kid is going through them.

DSC03617.jpg

I hope this helps you some. Somewhere i have better photos but maybe these will help,

Kathy

Edited by mom x4,grandma x4

Just returned from the Wonder 2 weeks ago....we did one load of laundry and each thing cost a dollar (soap, washer, dryer). I thought it was very reasonable (cheaper than at the Disney resorts). The only negative was that not all floors have a laundry room, so you may need a bag or something to carry your clothes in.

:)

Apparently the price has gone up to $2.00 for a load

This has been posted before but it bears repeating:

At lunchtime on Castaway Cay, go to Serenity Bay - They have all-you-can-eat ribeye steaks!

I'm not so computer saavy. :) I tried your link and got an error. I've done a couple searches at the website on your link and can't find any of the cute ones with the space for writing. We're leaving tomorrow and I haven't finished packing or I wouldn't bother you! :) Thanks for any tips on searching that web site you might have?

That link worked great! We did a 3 day earlier this year and my kids were facinated by all the signs. This gets me to were I can do them this evening after finishing the packing for our cruise tomorrow - I really appreciate the help! You're great! :)

Edited by 2 Princess 1 Prince's mom

Hello everyone. There's alot of good info here! We are thinking about taking our first cruise this fall. I was looking at the cabin descriptions and I noticed that each cabin has an iPod docking station. How insulated are the cabins? Do you hear your neighbors TV or music next to you? Also, the ships as crowded as the parks? Finally, has anyone taken a cruise in the spring? Is the temperature warm enough to enjoy all the water activities?

Dan

To get peoples attention to answer your questions you need topost on the main forum page and you'll get answers. This is basically just for tips.

But I can tell you we never heard TV's from our neighbors. If someone yells you can hear it or the toilets flushing. They are plenty loud.

The ship is never clear full. And events are spread out all over the ship so NO it isnt as crowded as the parks. Remember they can only sell so many cabins whre the parks have thousands of people in them.

You will find it a bit crowded around the Mickey pool for the kids and arrive early for the shows as they do fill up but there is always a seat for everyone, since they have 2 shows a night.

We cruised in March spring break once and it was hot everyday. Swimming temps were great.

Hope tha thelps some but as I said if you post your questions on the main forum others can help you too.

My kids have taken a notepad or some kind of paper to have our servers write something for them in their native language. On our last trip their messages were written in French and Serbian. It's a nice little extra memory for them!

Usually there are still a few opening for excusrions, once you board go to the shore excursion desk on deck 3 atrium area as soon as they open. Your Navigator will be in your room and it will list the time for it to be open. The people at the shore excusrion desk can tell you if an excusrion is filled up or not and can book you.

Some people do cancel once their on the ship, so dont be afraid to check back even if they say its going to be filled.

But have a second choice in case it is filled.

Ones like swimming with the Dolphins are usually full and stay that way.

Is this because regular cruisers get an opportunity to book excursions before the rest? Is there somewhere that I can look to see a list of excursions for various ports?