Disney Cruise Line Tip Thread

Host Mick

Here is a couple on deck 10 and you can see the height of the wall.

DSC03684.jpg

This is deck 9 and goofy . You can see the floor to ceiling plexi glass wall I told you about behind him and to the right. The whole deck is like this.

DSC03618.jpg

Ok this is deck 9 where bars are. some bars at the corner are open others have plexi glass but you can see how close together they are.

No kid is going through them.

DSC03617.jpg

I hope this helps you some. Somewhere i have better photos but maybe these will help,

Kathy

Edited by mom x4,grandma x4

• 1 month later...
Just returned from the Wonder 2 weeks ago....we did one load of laundry and each thing cost a dollar (soap, washer, dryer). I thought it was very reasonable (cheaper than at the Disney resorts). The only negative was that not all floors have a laundry room, so you may need a bag or something to carry your clothes in.

:)

Apparently the price has gone up to $2.00 for a load

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not so computer saavy. :) I tried your link and got an error. I've done a couple searches at the website on your link and can't find any of the cute ones with the space for writing. We're leaving tomorrow and I haven't finished packing or I wouldn't bother you! :) Thanks for any tips on searching that web site you might have?

That link worked great! We did a 3 day earlier this year and my kids were facinated by all the signs. This gets me to were I can do them this evening after finishing the packing for our cruise tomorrow - I really appreciate the help! You're great! :)

Edited by 2 Princess 1 Prince's mom

• 1 month later...
Hello everyone. There's alot of good info here! We are thinking about taking our first cruise this fall. I was looking at the cabin descriptions and I noticed that each cabin has an iPod docking station. How insulated are the cabins? Do you hear your neighbors TV or music next to you? Also, the ships as crowded as the parks? Finally, has anyone taken a cruise in the spring? Is the temperature warm enough to enjoy all the water activities?

Dan

To get peoples attention to answer your questions you need topost on the main forum page and you'll get answers. This is basically just for tips.

But I can tell you we never heard TV's from our neighbors. If someone yells you can hear it or the toilets flushing. They are plenty loud.

The ship is never clear full. And events are spread out all over the ship so NO it isnt as crowded as the parks. Remember they can only sell so many cabins whre the parks have thousands of people in them.

You will find it a bit crowded around the Mickey pool for the kids and arrive early for the shows as they do fill up but there is always a seat for everyone, since they have 2 shows a night.

We cruised in March spring break once and it was hot everyday. Swimming temps were great.

Hope tha thelps some but as I said if you post your questions on the main forum others can help you too.

My kids have taken a notepad or some kind of paper to have our servers write something for them in their native language. On our last trip their messages were written in French and Serbian. It's a nice little extra memory for them!

Usually there are still a few opening for excusrions, once you board go to the shore excursion desk on deck 3 atrium area as soon as they open. Your Navigator will be in your room and it will list the time for it to be open. The people at the shore excusrion desk can tell you if an excusrion is filled up or not and can book you.

Some people do cancel once their on the ship, so dont be afraid to check back even if they say its going to be filled.

But have a second choice in case it is filled.

Ones like swimming with the Dolphins are usually full and stay that way.

Is this because regular cruisers get an opportunity to book excursions before the rest? Is there somewhere that I can look to see a list of excursions for various ports?

the Navigator is the ships information paper. There will be one waiting in your room for you.

Then every evening a new one will be delivered for the next days events.

Sometimes its slid under your door other times its left by your room host when they turn down your bed.

Extra copies are on a table by guest services if you loose yours.

You can find copies of the Navigator on line to see what they are like. Just remember the events can and do change often.

This site is for room reviews but if you scroll down alittle ways and look on the left you will see the word Navigator. Click on that for sample Navigators to look at.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/cruise-new/roomlist.cfm

Kathy

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but here is a tip for people who are bringing little ones (under 3/not potty trained) on the cruise. Although you will need to book any child care time at Flounder's Reef Nursery, you can still use the facilities at the Oceaneers Club. You just can't leave your child there. We spent quite a bit of time with our son at the Club. They have a very large play area with a pirate ship, slide, things to climb on, big foam blocks, etc.

--If you have tots that aren't potty trained, the Wonder and Magic both have an infant/toddler splash area here...

122.jpg

191.jpg

Is this picture meant to indicate the non-potty trained pool? If so, is this still accurate? The pictures I saw gave me the impression it was just the black mickey ears.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the GREAT tips! This is our first Disney Cruise (with our four-year-old son) and we're travelling with another family of first-timers. We have a few questions:

We were wondering if it's okay to bring bottles of wine on board and to drink our own wine at dinner. If so, does Disney charge a corkage fee?

Also, a few of you mentioned the over-the-door shoe holder and how great it is for not only shoes, but other small items. I happen to have one of the shoe holders you can hang in your closet (it's basically a long thin column of cubbies on a hanger). Is there room in the closet for this or is it just better to go out and buy the over-the-door kind? (We have an inside stateroom, if that matters).

My husband and I didn't book any excursions, because we figured a four-day cruise is so short and we really just want to de-compress. Our son doesn't swim yet, so we are limited in the water sports department. Also, I tend to get a bit sea-sick as it is, so I'm not keen on getting off the ship and onto a small vessel of some sort. But, having said this, is there anything that our four-year-old son absolutely should not miss? Or is there a grown up activity that's so outstanding that we should try to squeeze it in?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Thanks for all of the GREAT tips! This is our first Disney Cruise (with our four-year-old son) and we're travelling with another family of first-timers. We have a few questions:

We were wondering if it's okay to bring bottles of wine on board and to drink our own wine at dinner. If so, does Disney charge a corkage fee?

Also, a few of you mentioned the over-the-door shoe holder and how great it is for not only shoes, but other small items. I happen to have one of the shoe holders you can hang in your closet (it's basically a long thin column of cubbies on a hanger). Is there room in the closet for this or is it just better to go out and buy the over-the-door kind? (We have an inside stateroom, if that matters).

My husband and I didn't book any excursions, because we figured a four-day cruise is so short and we really just want to de-compress. Our son doesn't swim yet, so we are limited in the water sports department. Also, I tend to get a bit sea-sick as it is, so I'm not keen on getting off the ship and onto a small vessel of some sort. But, having said this, is there anything that our four-year-old son absolutely should not miss? Or is there a grown up activity that's so outstanding that we should try to squeeze it in?

Thanks!

Yes you can bring your own wine in your carry on and there is a corking fee if you drink it at dinner. I believe its $35.00.

I think you should be able to hand a shoe holder inside the closet. There is actually a verry arge closet in your room and some luggage can slide under your bed to make more room in the closet of needed. With only 3 of you there should be plenty of room.

I have had an inside room before and it was quite nice.

The reason most use the over the door shoe holder is for convinence of having it on the bathroom door so they can easily reach deodorant, toothpaste, hair brushes etc right from the bathroom while cleaning up.

Gosh, there is so much to do, just read the Navigaotr and pick whats best suited to your interests each day.

I would say dont miss any of the shows and your 4 year old will probably like them too. Especially when the characters show up on stage which happens in every show.

The toddler splash zone is great for toddlers. If he is too big for that but doesnt swim the Mickey ears are great for little kids who like to splash around but not get in the kiddie pool. You can be right next to him. The club is great fun for kids and if he is unsure about it you can check in as a visitor and stay with him until he adjusts if you want.

They always have a great variety of movies too. All the kids in the kiddie shows talk and make noise so its a great place to introduce your son to movie theaters without worrying about disturbing others around you.

All the adult venues are great. The adult comedy shows are awesome!!

Both deck parties are fun too. The Adventures away party as you leave Port Canaveral is a must and get as close to the stage as you can with your 4 year old. Characters will be on that stage towards the end of the party. He will get up close to see them that way.

Pirate party is late night but the fireworks are great and watching Mickey repel down off the stack is fun.

If you post your questions on the main forum page for Disney you will get lots of answers from many different people. Thats the best way to get lots of opinions.

Kathy

• 3 weeks later...

You can use the pager provided by the kids club as a personal pager, not just one accessed by the kids club personnel.

1) Call 7-1096 from any phone. This gets you into the internal pager system.

2) It will ask for the four digit pager number you want to contact.

3) You will be asked to enter a numeric message.

This is great for finding the person with the pager. You can either type in a house phone number near an elevator, a room phone number, or decide on a "code" for what number means to meet you where.

The people carrying the walkie talkies can only use them on the pool deck, as they won't penetrate the steel.

• 2 weeks later...

Wander the ship aimlessly (most effective if cruising with the Big D solo) - you won't know whether a Disney Character is in the elevator with you or following your footsteps. Oh, and take pictures while you're at it, especially if you encounter a Disney Character in some unexpected place onboard! (While onboard the Disney Wonder, Muetti and I saw Mr. Smee, Captain Hook, and Lilo in the spa and fitness centers - something unexpected for somewhere where only 18-plusses are admitted!) :D

Edited by talfonso

• 3 weeks later...

We just got off Magic, Eastern Carib. this morning! Here are my quick tips:

1) Take a case of water bottles on board (healthier than soda and easy to throw in your purse or backpack). Disney does not allow roller-coolers, so bungee cord a case of water to a luggage cart. There is a refrigerator in the cabin to keep your water cool. (I guess you can't do this if your flying, sorry)

2) I did not receive a map of the ship layout with our pre-registration confirmation booklet, at boarding, or in my cabin so I asked for one at Guests Services, they gave me a couple for me and my extended family but said to keep it on the QT as they were almost out. If you definitely want a map to carry in your bag, make your own using the ship layout link on Disney.com

3) Swim towels are readily available in cabinets around the pools and as you disembark at ports.

4) At Castaway Cay-- Take an addressed postcard and you can mail it at the post office as you disembark. If you bring your own snorkeling gear you will still need to wear a yellow life vest when snorkeling. They are free of charge at each life guard station. There are showers/foot washing stations near the ship so there is no need to use the crowded ones near the beach.

5) Door decorations are fun but Disney only allows decorations attached by magnet. Do not use refrigerator magnets as these will get stolen. Poster/cardstock/picture type of decorations with magnetic strips (buy magnetic strips @ Michaels) are a safer bet.

6) If you're traveling with a large group, in order to sit together at the Walt Disney theater for the 3 big shows (Twice Charmed, Villians, Dreams) you will need to arrive 30 min. early. For the other shows, 10 min. early is fine.

7) The show that the children put on for the parents (at the Walt Disney Theater) is called "Friendship Rocks". They should attend the rehearsal before the show (at Oceaneer Club or lab) and they will get a T-shirt to wear during the show and to take home. Lots of fun!

8) On Magic, sale T-shirts are on racks outside the ship stores, towards the theater.

9) On Magic, they don't automatically offer room service warm cookies, but if you specifically ask that they be warm, they will warm them for you.

10) On the last morning, if you don't want to eat in your assigned dining room at the time that you are assigned (staff encourages you to breakfast at a particular dining room at a specifc time in order to control the flow of disembarkation ), you can still eat at Topsiders. They were still serving a hot breakfast at 9am when we were leaving.

11) Some outlet malls now have "Disney Warehouse" stores. This is an inexpensive alternative for official Disney T-shirts, bags, toys, ect... If you're in Orlando before or after the cruise there is one at Prime Outlet Mall.

Can't wait till our next Disney cruise! It was fabulous!

Edited by boy's mom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I started bringing a few extra wire hangers. I like to hang as many clothes as possible to relieve some of the wrinkles. The 5-10 hangers that are in the closet are never enough. I have asked (and received a few) extras - but, I find easy just to bring some.