My Trip To The Baths @ Virgin Gorda 10-5-08

chenning

Hey...I believe you're on the same trip we are...Dec 6 on Dawn. We are going to the Baths also. This is what I am most looking forward to on the trip. We're planning to use Speedy's and go on our own. We'll try not to "bump" into you going through the rocks:eek::D

Yep, Cruisin Together, we are on the same ship! Less than a month now!

I think we've decided to use Speedy's to go to the Baths. Maybe we'll see you at the Meet & Greet, if they get it going.

Thanks for the very honest review. I for one sincerely appreciate it. We originally had a longer port stop for Tortola, but it has been shortened by the cruise line...so the ship's excursion is the only real option for the Baths. It does look pretty, but I think we will do it next time we visit.

I wish some one had been a little more open about the SkyWalk bridges in Costa Rica....it sounded like a leisurely stroll through the rain forest, instead of the reality. The shuttle takes you 2 &1/2 miles up the mountain....and the lodge is down there at the bottom. Even though it was downhill, it was hot and very rough terrain.....I didn't think I was going to make it back to the lodge. I was so overheated, and so tired. Thanks for posting your experience. :)

And I didn't even like the uphill walk from the water taxi to Atlantis in Nassau. I'm not in bad shape, but thinking about it...I guess I don't really do heat/humidity well. :cool:

Sounds wonderful, except for the sqeezing thru caves -more like a recurring nightmare I have. :eek:

Speedy's website says $35

Leaves Road Town at 9:00 am every day

Returns to Road Town at 3:30 pm (On Sundays at 4:30 pm)

Extended schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays last departure is at 5:00 pm from Virgin Gorda

We are there on a Friday.

Hi everyone,

We will be visiting Tortola in early January but since we are only there from 7am--3pm, I know we'll have to go through the cruiseline on this one.

This place sounds amazing but The Caves scare me as I am somewhat claustophobic!!! Can anyone provide more information for me? Would you feel like you aren't getting enough air as you go through these caves?

Thanks so much. Your advice is appreciated :)

Teri

Sounds wonderful, except for the sqeezing thru caves -more like a recurring nightmare I have. :eek:

Speedy's website says $35

Leaves Road Town at 9:00 am every day

Returns to Road Town at 3:30 pm (On Sundays at 4:30 pm)

Extended schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays last departure is at 5:00 pm from Virgin Gorda

We are there on a Friday.

Hi..we just returned from visiting the Baths...we took Speedy's ferry...the cost is $38 for the ferry ride and transportation to the Baths...for $48 you get the ferry ride, transportation, and a food voucher for $15 to a nice little restaurant...We paid the $48...Lunch was great...even though it is a $15 voucher they let us get a $18 dish no extra charge..also got a glass of rum punch...our trip to the Baths and Devils Bay was fabulous...

Hi everyone,

We will be visiting Tortola in early January but since we are only there from 7am--3pm, I know we'll have to go through the cruiseline on this one.

This place sounds amazing but The Caves scare me as I am somewhat claustophobic!!! Can anyone provide more information for me? Would you feel like you aren't getting enough air as you go through these caves?

Thanks so much. Your advice is appreciated :)

Teri

Hi Teri...I was also nervous about going through the caves to get to Devils Bay...the openings in the caves should be okay for you...you can always turn back if you decide not to continue on...you will definately want to make it through so you can see how awesome Devils Bay is!

The huge boulders are mind boggling! P.S. the hike back up the hill is not as bad as others make it out to be...it is easily walkable and actually enjoyable to take in the great scenary! I've included a few pictures of the caves..it was actually an enjoyable little trek through the boulders with areas of shallow water that you walk through, a couple ladders you go down & up on, and a section you climb up with assistance of a secured rope...Enjoy...it is amazing and a MUST SEE site!

IMG_5607.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

IMG_5611.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

Devils Bay...the above picture shows all of the people with the Carnival excursion..we went on our own through Speedy's...once the Carnival excursion people left there was approximately 15 people at the beach! Is was Great!

I'm a very large guy. We've signed up for this. It will be interesting to see if I can squeeze through the tight places. It sure looks great though!

Hi Greymeowsr...You will be fine..there were several fluffy people in front of us and following us through the caves and they got through just fine! Enjoy!

Wags67,

One more thing.... was it hard to find Speedy's? Is it near the dock?

I'm really glad you enjoyed your day there!

Hi CCCruiser...Speedy's is easy to find...There is transportation lined up that will take you to the ferry dock...they charge $6pp...I figured we'd walk and save that $$ for something more worthwhile...so glad we walked, it was an enjoyable walk past souvinour tents, little stands, and stores...it is about a 10-15 minute walk (even though it looks further on this map)...I found this on someone elses post and it is a great map! We found a little stand that sold a can of pop for $1 and a beer for $3!

tortola.jpg

We also just returned yesterday and did Speedy's on our own. We walked the 10-15 minutes to the Ferry - easy to find. We got there and did the 9:00 Ferry. The price was higher that what we had seen posted online. It was $30 pp for the ferry and $8.00 pp for the cab ride to the baths. So total of $38.00 pp.

They had posted return ferry times of 12:30 and 3:30. However we asked and they said that the day we were there they were also adding a 2:00 return ferry.

Very easy to do. The Princess excursion was using a separate ferry that left a few mintues before us but Speedy's ferry seems to be faster.

We went through the caves - very easy - I was expecting these small narrow caves and that wasn't the case. Most of the time it was very open - high caves. Only one small place to squeeze through at the beginning - after that it was all very open. It was fun walking through the caves. We had our cameras in our hand and had to put them in a pocket a couple of times. Anyone can do this - we are in our 50's and had no problem.

We brought our snorkeling gear and snorked - it was great. We ended up catching the 12:30 ferry back. We spend about 1 1/2 hours on the beach and that was plenty of time. Our ferry left after the Princess one but we got back at the same time they did.

I see no reason to spend the money on doing this through the ship excursion. It is very easy to do on your own.

Mary

Wags & Mrobinson,

Thanks again for the current information. We get in at 8am, so we should have plenty of time to walk to the ferry & catch the 9am departure.

I am so looking forward to this port!

Only 18 days!

Yes, thanks to both of you for the current info! This is the port I am most looking forward to!

Alright, cc cruiser.....you ready to go?!!?? 18 days and counting.......

People who are expecting traditional caves are surprised when they see them. They really aren't "caves" as you might expect. It's really a pile of huge boulder's, piled on top of each other (the result of volcanic activity), that you climb around, over, under and through. So, it's pretty open everywhere and not particularly claustrophobic anywhere. The beaches on either side are spectacular with Devil's Bay being my favorite.

Usually, there aren't buses but rather the open air covered pick-up trucks that transport you the very short distance from the ferry dock to the top of the hill at "The Baths National Park." Because everything on the truck is in the open, and you're along way from it, I'd be a bit hesitant about leaving anything behind. But, you shouldn't have any trouble taking a beach bag or backpack with you as you go through the "caves" from one beach to the other. You'll walk down the path to the first beach, then go through the cave to the second beach (Devil's Bay) and then you'll take a totally different path back up to the top of the hill.

• 3 weeks later...

We're booked on Carnival's Freedom at the end of January '09 and have already booked the Virgin Gorda Bath tour. What doesn't seemed to be mentioned---does the tour supply snorkel mask and fins? Is there food provided or a place nearby to eat lunch? Our tour lasts from 8:30am-12:30pm and we're in Tortola port until 3:30pm that day.

Archived