Hate Losing Shareholder and Next Cruise Benefits? MAKE SOME NOISE WITH RCCL NOW

FL Cruiser,

Do you really think they have 100% sold inventory? I don't think they do. Have you seen the special deals they've been running? C'mon, when in the past could you get a balcony for $650 for a 7 night cruise and that doesn't even include your platinum or diamond discount yet. They had the Adventurer and the Serenade on sale for quite a long time - I think they're finally filling them because the prices went up. I also think the reason they aren't filling cabins is because people can't afford or depend on airfare to get to their cruise! A few weeks ago there was a JS on the Navigator for $829 and with a diamond discount, that's $729!!! Great price but I searched for airfare to Florida and it was ridiculous and flights weren't convenient either so I didn't book. RCCL might want to consider moving some of their ships and then I think they might have fuller ships.

I do have to go by the reports from last year in which it was stated that RCL is running at 105% or so. Someone posted a link on here a while ago. I have to take that for granted.

But I do think that you have a good point with the reduced prices. Maybe thats how they fill the ships. Bare in mind that your food cost (NCCF) remains the same. They only change the cruise fare which is your cabin.

Let me explain it in a different way since I just got the paper work here from last year.

We took a cruise last year on the Enchantment. The price for the 5-Night was $479 for an ocean view (according to the website).

But the website price is actually not the cruise fare it includes the NCCF which is the food charge and is non-commissionable (if you use a TA you probably got invoices where they show only the true cruise fare).

The NCCF was for every passenger $119, regardless of cabin category and regardless of first, second, third or 4th passenger. The $360 was the actually cruise fare. The cabin you are using. And these prices can be discounted. So when the published cruise fare went down to $450 the $29 was taken off the $360.

RCI has no cost (except maintenance for broken items and maintenance labor cost) for cabins. Stateroom attendants are strictly paid via tip.

Even with discounts RCI still makes the money on the NCCF (which changes only with sailings).

I don't know what the base break even would be on the cruise fare (I don't know the maintenance cost, labor cost etc) but the treshhold is probably low.

For RCI the goal is: get them onboard in hopes they are spending money. And that's where the problem lies. While people may get onboard due to the low cost they are not spending enough or not at all.

This has started with RCI becoming a true mass market line after they purchased Celebrity. But with that, even if I hurt now a lot of people again, they invited bargain hunters and budget cruisers.

Before that the a-typical RCI cruiser was cruising RCI, with higher prices than Carnival, for the RCI experience and the superior ships and did not turn every penny twice before spending. Some say it was the rich crowd but I am far from rich. I think it was more a crowd which knew that even when you cruise you spend more than just your cruise fare and they budget for it. I think it was a more stable income through onboard revenue. Otherwise they would have never gotten loans to the tune of almost 7 billion dollars to build 3 new classes of ships (not including Oasis Class).

But, the error in that calculation was: the expectations that with more berths and more offerings, the ships will sell themselves and the passengers will spend as much onboard as people did pre-conversion to a mass market lines, never realized.

So while RCI has had an increase in berths and selling them their onboard revenue went down.

If the cruise fares would be a problem they would not allow price reductions anymore or the prices would be higher. Since it affects the OBC part thus affecting onboard revenue we all must assume that onboard revenue has become a huge problem. With the same occupancy rate how can onboard revenue go down (besides increased supply cost)?

Your point with people having problems getting to the ports is a valid one. That is probably one of the reasons they discount so dramatically to offset increased flight prices. But every sailing I have been on this year (4 so far) was maxed out, But with the selling off the Sovereign Class you can forget about moving ships somewhere else in the US. ;)

FL Cruiser,

They may have been sailing 105% capacity last year, but not this year. Holiday cruises have almost always sold out and I have noticed on some Thanksgiving cruises this year there are cabins available in many categories which is very unusual this close to a sailing.

Am I understanding that RCCL used to give people cash back or credit on the charge card at the end of the cruise if they didn't spend all their OBC?? Now that is causing a loss of revenue - I thought if you didn't spend it you lose it! We have no problem spending it and more...........so it's a non-issue for us.

LOL...........my DH says that if we lived in Florida, we'd be broke because I'd want to cruise all the time.............LOL

Am I understanding that RCCL used to give people cash back or credit on the charge card at the end of the cruise if they didn't spend all their OBC?? Now that is causing a loss of revenue - I thought if you didn't spend it you lose it! We have no problem spending it and more...........so it's a non-issue for us.

RCI still credits back any unused OBC to the credit card on file. You do not lose it if you don't use it.

The Diamond balcony discount should be a given and they should be combinable. Call back and talk to someone else or ask to speak to a supervisor!

Beachbuddy-Thanks so much for the advise. Called again and they said it should definitely be combinable. They took the message off my reservation saying it was not. You saved me $200...Thanks again.

We do live in Florida and if I didn't have a job that makes it difficult to leave during our tourist and snowbird season, we would be cruising as often as I could drag DH away from his boat.:p

Kathryn

Just a question and a thought:

What is the real cost to RCL for providing an OBC?

LESS than face value, so long as the OBC is actually spent onboard.

I would guess that it may be 50 cents or less on the dollar.

So, is RCL making that much of an impact to the bottom line by instituting this change?:confused:

Most people do not spend the OBC on something they would not have purchased otherwise, but use it to lessen the amount of their own cash they have to pay at the end of the cruise to settle their bill. For example if someone has $200 OBC from Shareholder, they generally use that money towards drinks, specialty restaurant, shore excursions etc. that they would have purchased even if they had no OBC. Therefore Royal Caribbean is providing them with the service but they are not getting paid anything whereas the customer would be paying the $200 out of their own pocket if it were not for the OBC.

FL_Cruiser64 -

Where did you get the notion that the non-commissionable portion of cruise fares is FOOD? That’s ridiculous.

The non-commissionabe fares are an unspecified group of expenses that the cruise lines consider ancillary to the cruise. No cruise line will break it down, but it supposedly includes such things as port terminal services, pier security, piloting, shore power, ground labor, and even NAFTA fees, -but certainly not food!

Obviously, it’s the portion of cruise fares for which travel agents receive no commission. The separately listed taxes/governmental fees charge and fuel surcharges are also non-commissionable.

I would also like to comment on the combining OBCs issue -

I have no problem with Royal Caribbean’s new policy. I do understand the company’s reason for the change, - it certainly could be considered “double-dipping” onboard credits.

My issue is the way they are implementing the policy change. Shareholder’s who made NextCruise bookings were promised a benefit for committing to a future cruise with Royal Caribbean, and were told the booking was combinable with RCI discounts and other onboard credit benefits. These shareholders were also promised a benefit (with no restrictions) for investing in the company. Now they are told they will not receive both of the benefits they were promised.

Again, my problem is with the new policy implementation. Shareholders with a NextCruise booking that was made prior to the mid-September notice of change to the shareholder's benefit program should be exempt from the new restriction.

FL_Cruiser64 -

I would also like to comment on the combining OBCs issue -

I have no problem with Royal Caribbean’s new policy. I do understand the company’s reason for the change, - it certainly could be considered “double-dipping” onboard credits.

My issue is the way they are implementing the policy change. Shareholder’s who made NextCruise bookings were promised a benefit for committing to a future cruise with Royal Caribbean, and were told the booking was combinable with RCI discounts and other onboard credit benefits. These shareholders were also promised a benefit (with no restrictions) for investing in the company. Now they are told they will not receive both of the benefits they were promised.

Again, my problem is with the new policy implementation. Shareholders with a NextCruise booking that was made prior to the mid-September notice of change to the shareholder's benefit program should be exempt from the new restriction.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. While I certainly would prefer not to have the OBC policy changed, I understand the "bottom line" logic for it. I agree with you about implementation. I think all would have been better served if those currently holding a next cruies booking would have been grandfathered. We typically do a next cruise booking each time we are on board so we may take advantage of any special deals that come out. We now have two next cruise reservations which we were expecting to combine with our stockholder OBC - but not now. (Frankly, for as much as we've lost on their stock, they should give us the next cruise OBC, the stockholder OBC and a partridge in a pear tree.:D )

(Frankly, for as much as we've lost on their stock, they should give us the next cruise OBC, the stockholder OBC and a partridge in a pear tree.:D )

I, for one, don't care what the price of their stock is - although I did buy it when it was higher than it has been lately. I bought it so that I could cash in on the shareholder benefit. I keep track of how much my shareholder benefits have been each year, and once I break even on what I spent on the stock, I figure I'm in tall cotton at that point. I'm leaving the stock to the kids anyway.

This year alone, I'm getting a $700.00 tax-free dividend on my RCCL stock purchase by using the shareholder benefits.

When I was able to combine the shareholder benefits with Next Cruise OBCs and Diamond Balcony Discounts, I was coming out waaaayyyy ahead. I was also encouraged to stick with RCCL and to even cruise a little more than I might have otherwise.

They offered and I was able to take advantage of the combination.;)

I called and was able to use my NextCruise for an earlier booking I had made a few months ago.

I was told I'd be able to combine my NextCruise OBC with my shareholder OBC because it was before October 15th. We'll see how it all goes.

The only benefit now of a NextCruise for shareholders is the lower deposit--if one can consider that a benefit at all; I don't.

Can people really cash out unused OBC? I thought it was only good for purchases, and was "use or lose." Personally, I don't think anyone should be able to get cash back for unused OBC. Like someone else mentioned, the real cost of OBC to the company is probably far less than its face value. That wouldn't be the case if it was redeemable for cash.

The Diamond balcony discount should be a given and they should be combinable. Call back and talk to someone else or ask to speak to a supervisor!

Beachbuddy-Thanks so much for the advise. Called again and they said it should definitely be combinable. They took the message off my reservation saying it was not. You saved me $200...Thanks again.

We do live in Florida and if I didn't have a job that makes it difficult to leave during our tourist and snowbird season, we would be cruising as often as I could drag DH away from his boat.:p

Kathryn

Kathryn,

Your very welcome........it's so difficult dealing with the RCCL reps so I know what you went through. Glad to help. I don't know where the problem lies with them - perhaps RCCL is not communicating to them either.

Right now I have a friend who has 2 cruises booked and has a next cruise OBC on both of them. She also has 100 shares of stock but she never had it applied. So she called RCCL last night and the rep had no idea what she was talking about and didn't know anything about the policy change so she asked another rep and then told my friend it was not combinable. So my friend called back today and spoke to a few different reps again and one did not know anything about the policy change and the other one told her she's not able to combine both of the OBC's and my friend told her she could because her cruises have been booked for quite a while and the policy said they had to be booked prior to Oct 14th at midnight. Now the rep tells her that they were never combinable. They have no idea what they are talking about and I wonder if RCCL knows how confusing their reps are! Anyway, now she has her son dealing with them. I told her to keep fighting for it. That confirmation letter that someone posted on the boards definitely said "it's combinable as long as you book your cruise before Oct 14th".

I called and was able to use my NextCruise for an earlier booking I had made a few months ago.

I was told I'd be able to combine my NextCruise OBC with my shareholder OBC because it was before October 15th. We'll see how it all goes.

The only benefit now of a NextCruise for shareholders is the lower deposit--if one can consider that a benefit at all; I don't.

Can people really cash out unused OBC? I thought it was only good for purchases, and was "use or lose." Personally, I don't think anyone should be able to get cash back for unused OBC. Like someone else mentioned, the real cost of OBC to the company is probably far less than its face value. That wouldn't be the case if it was redeemable for cash.

I can't believe they told you that you can combine them and yet my girlfriend spoke to at least 3 different reps and was told that she couldn't combine them and she's had her 2 crusies booked for a long time. One rep even told her it was never combinable!!! LOL I'm laughing but I don't really think it's funny!

I agree with you.........I think OBC should be a use it or lose it! If they are giving people cash back at the end of the cruise, then maybe that's why they're losing money. But I can't imagine that there are that many people that don't even spend the OBC...........we always spend us plus +++++

What did you mean by this. I'm not aware of a lower deposit with a next cruise certificate. When I turned my certificates into bookings I still had to give a full deposit. $500 for 9 night, $900 for 12 nights.

I just booked a NC credit to get under the deadline and because I also received the Diamond balcony discount, they won't combine the NC on board credit. I have seen nothing about this on the boards. Did it just happen to me, or was this always the rule. I have never tried to use the NC credit before. Always booked cabin and cruise on board. Any ideas?:rolleyes:

Kathryn

I just received this confirmation email today about our 2 cruises that were booked one onboard and the other with a next cruise certificate.

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #0000000 and #0000000.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

What did you mean by this. I'm not aware of a lower deposit with a next cruise certificate. When I turned my certificates into bookings I still had to give a full deposit. $500 for 9 night, $900 for 12 nights.

When you initially purchased your NextCruise bookings you should have paid a deposit of $100pp. When you changed your NC bookings into specific active bookings with a ship/date/itinerary you should have paid the full deposit less what you paid when you bought your NC bookings.

NC bookings are bookings made for a $100pp non-refundable deposit but are good forever.

I just received this confirmation email today about our 2 cruises that were booked one onboard and the other with a next cruise certificate.

Good day,

The requested shareholder's onboard credit has been applied and is hereby confirmed to reservation #0000000 and #0000000.

**Please note** For new bookings made or converted on or after October 15, 2008, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has implemented some changes to our shareholder benefits program. The shareholder benefit is combinable with Crown & Anchor Platinum and Diamond balcony/suite discounts, Royal Caribbean International or Celebrity Cruises Credit Card Reward Points redeemed for onboard credit or discounts, Senior/Military/Resident rates, Gift Certificates and Future Cruise Certificates. The shareholder benefit is not combinable with promotions or offers that include onboard credit.

In the event that two offers or benefits are available on any one reservation, you may choose which onboard credit you prefer. Unless you specify otherwise, Royal Caribbean will issue the onboard credit with the higher value. This applies to Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Cruises.

Please feel free to visit our Investor Relations website: www.rclinvestor.com for further details.

Thank you.

Enjoy your cruise!

Kind regards,

Linda Buchanan

Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Guest Sales & Service Administration

Wait, I must be reading this wrong. What am I missing? Does this say the shareholder benefit IS combinable with Future Cruise?

When you initially purchased your NextCruise bookings you should have paid a deposit of $100pp. When you changed your NC bookings into specific active bookings with a ship/date/itinerary you should have paid the full deposit less what you paid when you bought your NC bookings.

NC bookings are bookings made for a $100pp non-refundable deposit but are good forever.

Oh, that's what they meant. I don't consider that a lower deposit. I give them the $100 and they keep it until we book another cruise to use it on and then I pay the difference to make up the deposit. I thought they meant that because we use the NC certificate we get to pay a lower deposit when we book something and I never heard of that so that's why I questioned it. I only bought those certificates for the OBC but now they're basically only worth the $100 that I paid for them which is money they are still holding so we gain nothing now from buying them.

Thanks again RCCL.......:rolleyes:

Wait, I must be reading this wrong. What am I missing? Does this say the shareholder benefit IS combinable with Future Cruise?

Hi, someone told me that there is a difference between next cruise certificates which are the ones that gave OBC and they said future cruise certificates are given to people that had a problem on a cruise sort of like a compensation for something that was wrong. So they are 2 different things.

Hi, someone told me that there is a difference between next cruise certificates which are the ones that gave OBC and they said future cruise certificates are given to people that had a problem on a cruise sort of like a compensation for something that was wrong. So they are 2 different things.

OK, thanks. I mistakenly thought Future Cruise was when you booked a cruise onboard.

Okay, now here's a new question for anyone that can answer it.

Patti, I'm thinking you might be able to answer because you seem to be someone that would have booked while onboard in the past before next cruise certificates were being sold.

My friend booked a cruise while onboard and is cruising with me in March 09. She also used a next cruise certificate to book the Oasis. Now the rep is telling her that if you booked on board, the OBC was never combinable with a shareholder benefit. I have booked onboard in the past but I didn't have stock then so I don't know if what they are telling her is true or not. Can someone help with the truth. I can't see what the difference would be if you booked onboard or if you used a next cruise certificate.

Thanks so much!

Patty

We called a couple of weeks ago to book a cruise, but they said the NextCruise could not be applied with the other discount. So we didn't book. RCL is losing sales. I'm sure they know this, and are taking this into account. They keep sending out "special deals" every week, but they can't be combined with our existing deposit through NextCruise. What are they thinking? Do they not want their most loyal customers cruising with them?

If you look back on this thread....I think Critterchick last posted it. The wording as of at least July or so was totally different. The shareholders benefit letter and FAQ's SPECIFICALLY stated that the Shareholder's benefit WAS combinable with all other discounts and onboard credits. What you were told is wrong, they have been combinable for the last 3 years that we have been shareholders. :)

Here is the wording:

This was posted by critterchick:

Here's the link to a thread from April, when somebody kindly cut and pasted the language. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ht=shareholder

And here's what that person posted (see item 6):

Who is eligible for this offer?Any shareholder holding a minimum of 100 RCL shares at time of sailing.

2.What is the offer?$250 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 14 or more nights.

$200 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 9 to 13 nights.

$100 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 6 to 8 nights.

$50 Onboard Credit per Stateroom on Sailings of 5 nights or less.

Applicable on any Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises Sailings. (excludes Celebrity Xpeditions)

3.How do I redeem this offer?Provide your name, address, confirmation number, ship and sailing date along with a copy of your shareholder proxy card or a current brokerage statement showing proof of share ownership in Royal Caribbean Cruises, Ltd.

Via Mail: RCL Investor Benefit, PO Box 025511, Miami, Florida 33102-5511

Via Fax: 1-305-373-6699

Via Email: shareholderbenefit@rccl.com

Can I use the offer each time I sail?Yes, you may request this offer multiple times-as often as you sail on Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Cruises (excludes Celebrity Xpedition).

6. Can this offer be combined with other offers, onboard credits and coupons?Yes, this offer is combinable with other offers, onboard credits and coupons. The offer is NOT available to company employees, travel agents, tour conductors and/or others utilizing complimentary or reduced-rate cruise fares.

If you look back on this thread....I think Critterchick last posted it. The wording as of at least July or so was totally different. The shareholders benefit letter and FAQ's SPECIFICALLY stated that the Shareholder's benefit WAS combinable with all other discounts and onboard credits. What you were told is wrong, they have been combinable for the last 3 years that we have been shareholders. :)

pbhunt,

So are you saying that if she booked while on a ship and got OBC for that - she should be able to combine it with the stockholder OBC?

I know it was combinable with a next cruise OBC. They keep telling her that if she booked while on board it was never combinable. What is she to do to convince these reps that they are wrong?

Archived