Carnival and FOD meetings?

jonz316

On our 2 most recent cruises with Carnival, the FOD meetings have been very sketchy at best. One was an 7 day e carib, the other 3 day. On both, the FOD meeting as held on the LAST night. On the 7 day cruise, I stopped by the pursers desk every day, and they promised to add the meeting to the cruise capers - and it was finally added the last day, and was placed during the late dinner time.

It seems it would be much better to place the meeting earlier, and allow people to meet early/make friends rather than the last day of the cruise. The Bill W. meeting seemed to happen every day..

Is this a new Carnival policy, or does it vary by cruise director/etc. Are the cruise capers printed in advance of the cruise?

Thanks

Jonz316

My buddy and I sailed on Carnival last month on the Fascintion and there was a FOD meeting EVERY night listed in the daily activities newsletter. We were quite suprised and the meetings were very well attended. They were held in the piano bar and there were crew members also in attendence.

We had a great time and met some real nice people.

My buddy and I sailed on Carnival last month on the Fascintion and there was a FOD meeting EVERY night listed in the daily activities newsletter. We were quite suprised and the meetings were very well attended. They were held in the piano bar and there were crew members also in attendence.

I sailed on the Valor last month and there was an FOD meeting every nite in the capers, nobody ever showed up but me but they did have them. I think alot of it has to do with the captain and the cruise director if they are gay friendly or not.

I've always seen the FOD's held in the piano bar, but nobody tells the straight folk the venue is "booked out" for the Friends of Dorothy. Therefore, there are dozens of straights doing their thing and no indication of it being a setting for a meeting for LGBT people.

On my last cruise on Carnival Ecstasy, I know they had an FOD gathering on the first night in the Society Bar. Of course, since I was onboard with 17 of my friends, we pretty much were the "Freinds" :)

Since there will just be my friend and I on Pride next week, my fingers are crossed that we will be able to meet a few people.

Stephen

While I appreciate Carnival listing FOD meetings in the Capers I do not like that they are held in a place where all passengers will be. Meaning I can't tell who is gay and who isn't. Ok sometimes I can, but not always.

Why not have a small bar set aside just for us so we can find each other? Nothing worse then meeting a guy and his wife shows up. :rolleyes:

When I sailed the Triumph last year, I made it a point to see the purser about FOD meetings. The next night, one was scheduled and one more later in the week. Unfortunately, I was the only one there the first night. Two more people made it to the second meeting.

We have sailed on 15 Carnival and always is a great time with other FOD's. We have made some long time friends. Some are more attended than others and some are private for FODers.

Princess is the best as they will set up a separate room and either the CD or ACD host and offer a free drink to all who attend.

:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Well we made it back from our trip away last week aboard the Carnival Glory. To answer everyone's dying curiousity, we did have an FOD meeting printed every night of the week at the wine bar (Burgundy Bar)! We were so excited, and had about six other gay guys show up throughout the week...there were obviously other 'family' on the boat, but we were happy to see the ones who stopped by specifically.

Great times were had by all! I think it must be up to the cruise director and/or captain. Last year, we sailed the Glory on a seven day trip and there were nightly meetings, same time and place. The bartender always seems to have a great time with the gays too! Our cruise director was obviously family as well, which may have contributed to the FOD being nightly...although there was never anything actually organized for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey MASDOLPHIN...

Quote: My buddy and I sailed on Carnival last month on the Fascintion and there was a FOD meeting EVERY night listed in the daily activities newsletter. We were quite suprised and the meetings were very well attended. They were held in the piano bar and there were crew members also in attendence.

I sailed on the Valor last month and there was an FOD meeting every nite in the capers, nobody ever showed up but me but they did have them. I think alot of it has to do with the captain and the cruise director if they are gay friendly or not.

I see you sailed on the Elation October 31st...I am scheduled for November 29th...how was your cruise? Any FOD meetings? Any suggestions? ;)

We will appreciate any review or suggestions you can make! Looking forward to this trip and already talking up a group thing next year.

Thanks!

Just back from the Conquest. They had FOD meetings every night scheduled in the capers at 11:30 pm in the wine bar. the Wine bar however was not even in a room. it was just outside the piano bar and the disco and was more of a walkway area. We missed the first night due to exhaustion. and went the second night. No one was there. But it wa listed every day in the capers. Didnt see alot of obvious family onboard either. So that may be the case. Also there were alot of groups on board "taking" up space in other bar rooms for their themed cruise group.

Archived