50 dollar salary?

Glassrobinson

A family member just got back from a cruise on another line. After having a converation with a room steward it was revealed that he only ends up making 50 dollars in salary for the 3 mth tour he was on and the rest he relies on tips.

Anyone know if this could be true? I am assuming after his room and board comes out it could be close but it seems awfully low.

I'm thinking my family member got it wrong or story was exaggerated or maybe the language barrier came into play?

I don't know for sure but am guessing that could very well be correct, though he probably shouldn't have mentioned it. Cruise ship employment wages are not the same as on land, or even here in the USA. If a cabin steward has 20 cabins assigned, each with 2 people (could be more), at $3.50 per person per day for a 7 day cruise, that is $980 in a week assuming everyone tips. Not too shabby for some of them I'm sure! I have no clue if they pay taxes or not.

When we were on the valor, we also had a conversation with our waiter. I was shocked when he told us he barely got 100.00 total from the cruise. That his money comes from tips that people give to them beyond the customary ones we all pay. Those tips are divided up in many ways and are not very much at all to any one person. tThe ship's registry is in Panama and their labor laws are much differen than our. Which is why you barely see many Americans working in those capacities ex. waiter/waitress or stewards. They are also on the ships for months at a time. Our waiter told us he has to mail his monies back to his wife and kids. Which is why I do tip above when I get the great service I normally count on.

As far as I know:

- $50 for steward's assistant,

- $80 for Steward.

- $50 for Lido buffet staff, food line-workers, dish washers, and assistant servers

- $80 for waiter team leader

I'm pretty sure that after that, people are either salaried or have a higher rate of pay, I think the Supper Club people earn better pay. I've seen Canadians and Americans in the gift shop, but other than that, I really haven't seen North Americans in other areas of the ship.

The other thing that occurs to me for the little pay is that Carnival also pays these folks with room and board for 6-9 months. I don't have a big problem tipping people I deal with personally a little more money, they all bust their asses just to keep up!

But if you figure, $70 per person, figure 2000 guests aboard: $140,000 in tips per week just on basic tips for 7 days... and I'm guessing at about 450 service personnel breaks down to about $311 per service crew member per week. I know, fuzzy math, but the upshot is that it's not too bad: if there were no money in this, no one would do it!

Our stewart said he made 35-50 per day plus tips. He also said that room and food was included in his wages. He said he had to pay for any extras and for any drinks. But he said beer was like $2 a bottle. He did say he worked 12 to 15 hours per day and he made enough to take off 3 months each year. I think alot off the workers say they make so little so you feel bad and give a extra tip. I know they don't have social security. The way things look we may not have niether:D . He also said they sign a contract each and is not promised from year to year. He said the most inportant thing was for us to fill out the card at the end of our cruise that will help decide if they keep their jobs. They are graded on each cruise.

Mike

Sorry, I don't buy it. Sounds like a line to me. We tip very well, but if someone tried to tell me they only made $50 in three months and relied totally on tips, I dont think they'd get anything more from me because I would think they were conning me. Plus, I've seen other posts with links to sites that give approximate incomes for cruise employees. Most make a lot more than that, not a huge salary by US standards, but enormous by most of their home country's.

CS receive a small base pay of $50 a week not including tips.

If they become ill and take a day off they do not get paid.

No Benefits!

With the Auto tips in place and the extra they receive at the end of cruise, a CS can make between $2,500 - $3,500 a month.

They work 12 - 14 hours per day, seven days a week for

8 - 10 months straight, during off-times crew members sleep.

Stewards are assigned 15 - 20 cabins which they must clean twice daily.

Between cruises the CS has only 2 hours to completely clean each cabin.

CS live in tight quarters, eat basic food.

A family member just got back from a cruise on another line. After having a converation with a room steward it was revealed that he only ends up making 50 dollars in salary for the 3 mth tour he was on and the rest he relies on tips.

Anyone know if this could be true? I am assuming after his room and board comes out it could be close but it seems awfully low.

I'm thinking my family member got it wrong or story was exaggerated or maybe the language barrier came into play?

This is why all cruise ships are registared outside the US. they do not have to abide by our employment laws such as minimum wage. The CS and Waiters do primarily work for gratuities. This is why I always take the automatic charge off of my bill and hand it to them personally. That way I make sure they get the full amount. My wife and I were on the Liberty in March, we asked our waiter about this. He told our table that he gets 100% of all tips left on the automatic charge that he is suppose to get, 3.50 per day. Still, we always give it to them personally.

Thats all my wife pays me at Dairy Queen

Remember folks....The nice people that wait on us hand and foot on these cruises come from countries where they might only make a couple of dollars a day. They do well compared to where they are from. Many have nice homes in their country compared to other people. If you think some are unhappy with their jobs ask them (or other crew members) how long they have worked for the cruise industry. I have met some that have done it for 40 years.....and many that have more than 20 years in.....

Did a quick search...I love the internet. Here is what a Carnival employee makes....(they by the way are contracted not employed)

http://www.cruiseplacement.com/html/hd.htm

Notice at the bottom of that page are other departments you can click on.....

Hope this helps clear things up.....

It's from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

To the person who said they would be hard pressed to believe someone only made $50.00, I am a server. I make $2.38 an hour. Minimum wage for servers is $2.13 in USA. Luckily I work for a good company. After taxes and health insurance, my paycheck is a mere pittance. Anywhere from a voided check to a few dollars. Yes I do claim 100% of my tips. And no I am not complaining. But tips are my paycheck. If not, I couldn't afford my own home, car, wonderful cruises with you fine people, etc. I'm also a single Mom and totally support my child and myself on tips.

From our stewardess on Princess,she makes $56 per mth. plus her tips. She works 10 months then Princess pays for her round trip home.

Also, you do not apply to the cruise line for the job, you have to have an agent. Thru them you get the job. Its not an easy life, but remember where these folks are coming from is not a life of luxury. By the way, quite a few are married.

.........The CS and Waiters do primarily work for gratuities. This is why I always take the automatic charge off of my bill and hand it to them personally. That way I make sure they get the full amount. My wife and I were on the Liberty in March, we asked our waiter about this. He told our table that he gets 100% of all tips left on the automatic charge that he is suppose to get, 3.50 per day. Still, we always give it to them personally.

If you take the autotip off they are obligated to pool what you give them including any overage. You would be better off leaving the autotip on and giving them any extra if you feel they deserve it and want to give it to them. Then, they are able to keep the extra and not pool it.

The $50 is about right. It is probably more than the average person in the US is making, and with the tips thrown in most of them make a LOT more than the average US worker.

Why?

1.The money that they make is taxed not at US rates but at the rate in their home, and most countries do not pay income tax.

2. There housing and food expenses are fully covered as are all medical expenses.

3. In other words everything that they need to live very nicely is paid for and they are still paid on top of that, PLUS they get their tips which range from a low of about $250 per week up to $1000 per week.

So they end up after all their expenses with somewhere between $1000 and $4000 a month.

FInd me the average service industry worker in the US who clears that much after ALL living expenses are covered, or for that matter any blue collar worker in the US who has that much extra income to save each month so I can go apply for their job.

Yes these guys work hard, but don't ever think that it they do not earn a nice income.

Did a quick search...I love the internet. Here is what a Carnival employee makes....(they by the way are contracted not employed)

http://www.cruiseplacement.com/html/hd.htm

Notice at the bottom of that page are other departments you can click on.....

Hope this helps clear things up.....

Moving this forward. This will give all a good idea of what they make ....;)

Archived