Yellow fever

UDM1

Here is response posted earlier:

From Costa Rica Consulate

Brazil and Peru are countries at risk and therefore if you are coming from those countries you would need the yellow fever vaccination. However, given that you are over 60 years of age, you may be exempt from the vaccine if your doctor evaluates it is best that you not be vaccinated. If that is the case, then you would need a note from your doctor stating why you should not be vaccinated, and you can present this note upon entry into Costa Rica.

Sincerely,

Karina Guardia

Embassy of Costa Rica

Washington, DC

Dear Ms. XXXXX:

Persons traveling to Costa Rica from certain countries in South America must have an International Certificate of Vaccination against Yellow Fever. Those affected countries are: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, French Guiana and Venezuela.

Regards,

Consulate of Costa Rica

Wife and I got the Yellow Fever shot, yesterday.

Time leading up to shot: High anxiety

Receiving the shot: A little sting

Post shot: Some tenderness

Removing bandage: Major Ouch

Peace of mind 24 hours later: PRICELESS

• 4 weeks later...

Most of the concerns expressed on this thread were regarding Brazil and Costa Rica and vica versa. We are looking into a last minute booking on a cruise from Valparaiso, Chile to San Francisco so would not have time to get the YF shots if required. Would we be ok flying into Santiago, Chile, with ports in Arica, Chile, Lima, Peru, Manta, Ecuador, Acapulco, Puerto Vallerta, LA and SF without the shot? Would we be safe to book? Thanks for any help you can give.

Most of the concerns expressed on this thread were regarding Brazil and Costa Rica and vica versa. We are looking into a last minute booking on a cruise from Valparaiso, Chile to San Francisco so would not have time to get the YF shots if required. Would we be ok flying into Santiago, Chile, with ports in Arica, Chile, Lima, Peru, Manta, Ecuador, Acapulco, Puerto Vallerta, LA and SF without the shot? Would we be safe to book? Thanks for any help you can give.

How last minute is your cruise? The YF vaccination needs 10 days to work, only 10 days before you visit an endemic area. Do you really not have 10 days between now and the time you visit an area where it might be required?

I agree with DD. You should have sufficient time to get the shot and still make the cruise unless you are leaving almost immediately.

I believe the countries you are visiting after leaving Peru i.e. Ecuador, Mexico and the US, do not require the shots for entry. To be on the safe side, you should visit each country's website to obtain current entrance requirements.

I agree with DD. You should have sufficient time to get the shot and still make the cruise unless you are leaving almost immediately.

I believe the countries you are visiting after leaving Peru i.e. Ecuador, Mexico and the US, do not require the shots for entry. To be on the safe side, you should visit each country's website to obtain current entrance requirements.

You should call the cruise line and ask them what their policy is!! Read recently that many passengers were left at the dock because they did not have their shot.. Celebrity says right on line y ou MUST have the certificate before you allowed on the ship/plane

How last minute is your cruise? The YF vaccination needs 10 days to work, only 10 days before you visit an endemic area. Do you really not have 10 days between now and the time you visit an area where it might be required?

I thought I had read that it takes 4-6 weeks for the vaccine to be effective. The cruise leaves in 16 days.

You should call the cruise line and ask them what their policy is!! Read recently that many passengers were left at the dock because they did not have their shot.. Celebrity says right on line y ou MUST have the certificate before you allowed on the ship/plane

The OP didn't say what line she was on. RCCL won't give you the time of day. HAL provides extensive information. Others fall somewhere in between. The immigration officer who is inspecting the passport at the port of entry has the final say, regardless of what the cruise line tells you.

I thought I had read that it takes 4-6 weeks for the vaccine to be effective. The cruise leaves in 16 days.

I checked our yellow fever card and it doesn't say. I'm quite sure you need the shot no later than 10 days before the cruise leaves. You can and should "google" the question for further information.

Yes, you did read that somewhere on here, but it is not current or correct. You need 10 days. You don't even need 10 days before your cruise (unless the cruise line requires it), but 10 days before you visit a country with endemic area. Here are a few links to back up what I'm saying about 10 days:

http://www.yellowfever.com.au/vaccinations.html

http://www.mdtravelhealth.com/index.php?sub=3&infectvar=yellow_fever

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DR601441

http://www.who.int/ith/countries/vaccination/en/index.html

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a607030.html

There are many, many other sites. Those were just the first few that google pulled up.

Archived