Island Princess - C222

lawahoo2001

Greetings, Board! I am a new member. Just booked an Alaskan southbound cruise through Princess after much stress in trying to decide on a cabin. Wanted a minisuite with a fully covered balcony. I researched a ton and checked out the recommended site re: Island/Coral Princess decks (http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html).

Has anyone been at the front of the ship, portside on the Caribe deck? We booked C222. Wanted to get one of the rear cabins for Dolphin, but those are only available on a guarantee basis. Our travel agent confirmed with Princess that this cabin should be in a quiet area. No luggage storage, etc., across from the cabin. I liked that this cabin also had cabins above and below it so that we would not have to worry about noise coming from a disco below us (if on Emerald deck) or deck chairs being moved around (if on Aloha). Only negative is that this cabin may get some movement since it's at the front of the ship. Do Alaska southbound cruises tend to get calm waters?

Would love to hear some opinions...thanks!

Greetings, Board! I am a new member. Just booked an Alaskan southbound cruise through Princess after much stress in trying to decide on a cabin. Wanted a minisuite with a fully covered balcony. I researched a ton and checked out the recommended site re: Island/Coral Princess decks (http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html).

Has anyone been at the front of the ship, portside on the Caribe deck? We booked C222. Wanted to get one of the rear cabins for Dolphin, but those are only available on a guarantee basis. Our travel agent confirmed with Princess that this cabin should be in a quiet area. No luggage storage, etc., across from the cabin. I liked that this cabin also had cabins above and below it so that we would not have to worry about noise coming from a disco below us (if on Emerald deck) or deck chairs being moved around (if on Aloha). Only negative is that this cabin may get some movement since it's at the front of the ship. Do Alaska southbound cruises tend to get calm waters?

Generally speaking, cruising the Inside Passage to and from Alaska is about a smooth as it gets. Most of the time you won't even know that you are on a ship. A forward cabin will be just as good as any other.

Caribe is our favorite deck on Princess ships. You are mid-way between the Lido Deck and the Promenade Deck, where most of your time will be spent when not in your cabin.

Have a great cruise.

Ron

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We were on C219 on the Island in October (Panama) and loved it....

there was a little movement when the seas were a little rough, but we enjoyed that too.

As you mentioned, this location was very quiet. One added bonus, the Horizon buffet is not far away:D,

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

We were in Dolphin D303 on the Island. It was very quiet - and I was quite happy with the location. I had been told that the Inside Passage was quite smooth - but we did have 2 periods of roughness. Now, this was my 1st cruise - so have nothing to compare it to - but woke up on the morning we were cruising the Inside Passage - and could see white caps. The other time was when we were cruising down from College Fjord towards Glacier Bay. I coped with taking some Gravol - and laying back down for an hour or so --> but it definitely was not "smooth". Not rough enough to convince me that I wouldn't cruise again, however... And - I would go aft again without concern.

You will love the cruise - we spent quite a bit of time both on deck and on our balcony --> and would like to do this cruise again in a few years.

Fran

Wanted to respond to your cabin question. I was aware of that website you quoted depicting the floor plan. I am so grateful that person took the time to take those cabin pictures so one could make a decision by physically seeing the outside! We booked early (May 08) and got one of those rear cabins on Dolphin for our first southbound Alaska cruise in June 09. Just today the travel agent wanted to lure us to another area but thanks to that website and the helpful comments on this site, I said thanks but no thanks. I could tell by the pictures this new area she wanted to move us to has no balcony above us. You will love this website, because of all the comments I now have my packing list, my things to do on shore and actually scheduled most of my own land excursions. I also love reading the itineraries and tips from other travelers. It will be a great way to spend Winter, dreaming of the upcoming summer trip!

• 2 months later...

We have also booked an Alaska southbound trip on the Island Princess leaving 6/29. Is this the cruise you will be on? I have questions about cabin selection also. We needed 2 cabins together. At the time of booking we could only get cabins next to eachother on the Aloha deck. I am concerned since this is under the pool area. Do you know any information about this deck? Noise and etc.

Also 2 years ago we went to Alaska on the Pearl. Someone from cruise critic had arranged a meet and greet with the captain and his crew. This was very nice and had some perks with it. Have you ever heard of this?

We are from Arkansas. Our son and daughter-in-law will be with us. This is their first cruise and very excited.

Wanted to respond to your cabin question. I was aware of that website you quoted depicting the floor plan. I am so grateful that person took the time to take those cabin pictures so one could make a decision by physically seeing the outside! We booked early (May 08) and got one of those rear cabins on Dolphin for our first southbound Alaska cruise in June 09. Just today the travel agent wanted to lure us to another area but thanks to that website and the helpful comments on this site, I said thanks but no thanks. I could tell by the pictures this new area she wanted to move us to has no balcony above us. You will love this website, because of all the comments I now have my packing list, my things to do on shore and actually scheduled most of my own land excursions. I also love reading the itineraries and tips from other travelers. It will be a great way to spend Winter, dreaming of the upcoming summer trip!

We have also booked an Alaska southbound trip on the Island Princess leaving 6/29. Is this the cruise you will be on? I have questions about cabin selection also. We needed 2 cabins together. At the time of booking we could only get cabins next to eachother on the Aloha deck. I am concerned since this is under the pool area. Do you know any information about this deck? Noise and etc.

Also 2 years ago we went to Alaska on the Pearl. Someone from cruise critic had arranged a meet and greet with the captain and his crew. This was very nice and had some perks with it. Have you ever heard of this?

We are from Arkansas. Our son and daughter-in-law will be with us. This is their first cruise and very excited.

Yes it is the same cruise as yours. Monday June 29th is the cruise from Whittier on the Island Princess. I thought it was called the Coral on the southbound and the Island on the northbound but I guess I'm wrong.

Since it is my first cruise in almost 20 years, all I can recommend is doing a search on this website under Princess and cabin and finding information about the different decks. We needed two rooms adjacent as well. I think we paid alot for booking early even with asking for a few adjustments in the price. I think any room will be fine. My priority was being able to be on the deck with cover overhead in case it's raining. We probably won't be your typical cruisers as we plan on being on our deck sightseeing most of the time.

I haven't heard of the meet and greet with the captain but I know people on this board have arranged to meet onboard with eachother. It's nice to be able to go with family. Your son and d-i-l will love it.

• 3 years later...

Thanks for that link! My sister and I are booked on the Island Princess for Alaskan Cruise in June and I just got our cabin assignment. Room C217. I was worried (since there might be wind, rain, or drizzle in Alaska) that our balcony might be uncovered. I see from your link that we are covered!! Yippee!!! :D I'm sure that on Carribean cruises there are folks that want uncovered balcony so they can sun tan but getting Tan is not our concern on a trip to Alaska. Being protected from the elements IS.:)

Archived